My latest creation with tourbillon

Here is my new watch face with some modifications suggested by @russellcresser.

I had no difficulty figuring out how to set the x&y coordinates for the toothed gear rotating around the perimeter of the tourbillon using the formulae in the Facer documentation, but I can’t figure out how the radius is set, although it appears to be just right. I’d love it if I could slow down the rotation around the center of the tourbillon. I look forward to @russellcresser posting info about rotations.
-Warren

5 Likes

Have a look at this. I am not the expert but have a look and see if there is something of use to you. We can always work on something to get it right.

So you need this and one with cos.
240 is the position of the y axis pivot 80 is the Radius from there and 90 is the offset angle for the image.

(240+(80*sin(rad(#DWFSS#-90))))

2 Likes

I spent quite a bit of time working on the rotation for this one, also with a lot of help from @russellcresser on how it was looking, and also creating the balance wheel image for me.

Maybe inspection can help with your rotation.

2 Likes

It looks like you have 2 items orbiting, Is inspection open?. I can’t access inspection from this post.

3 Likes

You need to open in a new tab and then inspection will be available

2 Likes

Thanks @russellcresser and @rob.fisk. That’s a lot to look at and I’m not too sure I understand it. Even though I took physics, calculus, & differential equations in college, after 40 years as a pediatrician, I don’t remember much math. But I will keep staring at it and try to grasp it. In the meanwhile, I’m reasonably satisfied with what I have done, although I wish I could slow down the orbital rotation.

2 Likes

I seem to use a different formula to others. Not sure why. I’m no mathematician and used a formula I found on this forum, but this is the formula I’ve used on my tourbillon faces -

(((sin((-(#DWFSS#+i)/s)*pi))*r)+z)

z= rotation centre point - around centre = 160.
r= radius of circle
i= offset of starting point around circle. 0= 6 o’clock, 180 = 12 o’clock
s=rotation speed.180 = 1 rpm 90= 2rpm

This line is for the x axis. Use cos instead of sin for the y axis.

I have a published example with inspection open. Now, in this example, the tourbillon mechanism is in the centre of the face, but it does work using the above, when offset from centre.

3 Likes

Didn’t realize your inspection was open. In your example, if you change the 4 to something larger, it will slow down. 60 would give you 1 rev per minute.

2 Likes

Thanks. Although I’m excited to try to understand all the phenomenal advice I get on this forum, this simple fix is what I need right now.
Can I ask, since you seem to understand the formula, how is the radius (the distance from the the center of the orbit) determined in the formula I used? It just seems like luck that it worked for me.
-Warren

2 Likes

The last number in your formula (50) is the radius.

2 Likes

You guys rock, this thread is a great education I hope to be able to read properly later (in bed on my phone right now, should get some sleep :joy:). All these toribulumious thingamebobs look great, and I particularly love how yours is moving @richiebee Great work all of “yous guys” :clap:

1 Like

I did notice a couple of ways of doing the rotation when I started on mine but ended up with the cos(rad version. So for one of the 2 outer cogs I have
X Pos: (160+(45.5*cos(rad(((round(#DWFSS#)))-303))))
Y Pos: (85+(45.5*sin(rad(((round(#DWFSS#)))-303))))

The first number is the rotation center, the second one is the radius.
I used round() on the DWFSS to get a 10th second tick step.
The final number is the starting offset degrees.

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s great to have all these formulae to use, but it’s so much better when you understand them… well I sort of understand them :slight_smile:
-Warren

3 Likes

Sorry I had to got to bed. Time Zone Problem. @wsilbers as you say it is a good strong topic.
Basically all these formulas are the same but with different structures and tweeks. I find it very difficult and it seems a lot of us by have come to this advanced maths stuff about 40 or 50 years too late.
I think the Tourbillon is looking great. Good logic and good speeds. I think it is great that you have someting going on down there that is not a model of a real one, but certainly has the Spirit of the Thing.

Well done to everyone else showing the True Spirit of this Forum.

1V8t

3 Likes

Definately looking good. I spent all my time on trying to make it as realistic as possible and possibly sacrificed some aesthetics along the way.

1 Like

Because of the Environment it is very difficult to have both . Now when we are all wearing 128bit Holographic displays on our wrists or Optical Injection it will be a different story. :thinking::wink::joy:

2 Likes