Nixie Valve Face

I have always been inspired by technologies of the past and I know this one still needs so work in other areas but I think I nailed the nixie valve hour and minute digits and hex mesh at the very least. Feedback very welcome for improvement:

6 Likes

Nice one Rob.

The Yellow segments had me puzzled I must admit, had to go into Inspection to see what they were. Maybe you should differentiate between the Watch and Phone Batteries :thinking:
I played around with it all, separated the 2 Battery Meters, and added Icons: what do you think?
I’ve sorted a single image out so you can see all the Positions/Tags etc :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Nicely done! Here’s a link to a Nixie Tube (Valve) face that I made a while back. I ended up using Roboto thin font for the numbers. It was the only font I could find that was thin enough and looked close to the original.

3 Likes

I used to always include watch and phone icons for the guages but I’ve been using that style so long I thought people wuold just know I always put watch on the left and phone on the right. Many of mine have green, amber, red colouring for the level as well but I wanted to keep the colours down on this one so I added the battery low exlamations. I was trying to avoid anything inside the outer ring being outside a border

I prefer a complete circle for now but will give the gaps some thought.

Thanks very mucj for taking the time to feed back and maybe there is a V2 in the wings.

1 Like

Thanks. I looked up nixie fonts on a variety of forums and they were all paid fonts so I used the What The Font app on my phone and found CurwenSans.
When it rolled around to Wednesday I reaslised I really didn’t like the W in that font so modified it with FontForge.

2 Likes

Forgot to say. I really like your version. The brushed alluminium template is great.

2 Likes

OK, I have kept the complete surround of the battery bars but updated the exclamation icons to indicate battery type and als added fully charged icons to the top, keeping them within the masked areas

1 Like

Well done Rob. It’s a very clean implementation. I love Nixie Tubes - I built a Nixie clock about 15 years ago with old stock Russian IN-18 tubes in an aluminum case & it’s still going strong. Hard to get those tubes any more without spending a fortune. One of my first faces when joining this forum was a nixie face too. Maybe it needs updating.

1 Like

Great Plasma . I would love to see a Picture of Your Real Nixie Clock . I played around with a couple of Filament ones a few years Ago :laughing:

Here you go @russellcresser , some of the digits are starting to fade after 15 or so years, but it’s stll going strong…

2 Likes

My Word the base looks like it was Machined. That is a very expensive way of making things. Thanks for sharing that. Beautiful. Just had a look for that on the Internet. Looks like you built it yourself from plans . Great Stuff. Strangly enough an old Colleague of mine has jus posted a pic of a plasma Nixie on FB and it has little neons in the base for the Colins. I am surprised how many there are for sale. The are some quite cheap LED Filament ones imitating the Early Element types. I am thinking of making une with the 4mm HP LED 7 Segment but 20 Times Bigger. I have some Addressable LED strip left over from a job that will do that .
Intresting market the Retro. I remember seeing an old Radio Spares Catalogue when it was half full of Valves.

1 Like