Porting Samsung/ Wear OS Faces to Apple - Feedback and suggestions on my new face welcome!

I took a break from Facer recently (having a new-born will do that :smiley: ), but have been easing back in by experimenting with ways to convert some of my popular Samsung/ Wear OS designs to Apple. Below is my first crack! The Samsung version is a bit more interactive and has animations, but I think the Apple port still looks great given some of the restrictions on that platform. Keen to hear your thoughts! Always love the Facer community :slight_smile:

Original:

Apple Port:

8 Likes

I had the original design and love the apple port! Well-timed too, because I just got a new Apple Watch :smiley: Shame the page flipping animation from the Samsung one can’t be done on Apple just yet, but it still looks awesome!

4 Likes

Thanks so much! I do like the page flip animation. Fingers crossed we get a bit more creator tools to play with on the Apple side (having said that, @Facer_Official have done an amazing job in building up the Apple dev tools already). I also noticed your first post badge - Welcome to the community!

3 Likes

Thanks! I am hopeless with the design side myself, but the more tools talented people get, the more cool designs I get to wear :star_struck:

3 Likes

That was quite a break! I have not seen you around here in ages. Welcome back. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It has indeed been a while! Thanks, excited to be back :slight_smile: Glad to see some familiar and friendly faces/ names (and lots of new ones) :slight_smile: You have been smashing it! Congrats on the 100k followers!

2 Likes

Welcome back. The Apple restrictions make it hard to port anything more complex. You well inverted the white borders into black to use the gap between template fields as another image frame border.

I did few ports my self, but, as expected, only last one in direction to Apple face became popular.

3 Likes

Thanks! It does seem to be all about trying to ‘hide’ the middle bar seamlessly. It’s interesting how much flexibility we get with the split/ double frame template (I have one under review, coming out soon, which includes quite complex animations), but no such luck with the ‘image only’ template (maybe one day :slight_smile: ). You’ve done a great job with those ports! Very clean and aesthetic :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome back! Having new-born is way better than experimenting with faces so I hope the baby brings you happiness haha :smiling_face: The design looks so good, for how many restrictions apple has, your adaptation is amazing! Love it a lot, it is very valid comeback :grin:

Thanks so much! More happiness than anything :blush: Glad she’s finally into a good sleep routine though so we can dip back into the occasional hobby :blush: Really appreciate your kind words! I’ve got a few more Apple ones in the pipeline. It is indeed a challenge working without all the features and tag options (and the 15 minute refresh rate), but I’m always up for a challenge!

2 Likes