Radius of progress as expression does not seem to work

I’m trying to use the progress element as a part of a design, but it requires that I give the radius (radii) as an expression, it should change dynamically. But when I enter my expression, it shows the radius as 0, if I change focus to another element and then go back, the expression is gone and it shows 0. Both places, inner and outer.

In the end I want the hour and minute hands connected by the progress element. I’ve got the radius and center down on the circle element, but it won’t work on the progress element.
Still have some work to do with all the odds and ends, but not much point if the key element won’t work. If this can’t work, I’d have to get really creative in making my own progress element with circles, triangles and rectangles. It would be really cool to get the progress element to do what I want.
Is there some reason the radius can’t be an expression?

4 Likes

I see what you’re trying to do there, nice idea. Unfortunately my math is useless, but I’m sure someone else could help. In the meantime, instead of using a Progress Arc, why not try to do it with a New Shape Arc instead, I’m thinking that might work :thinking:

2 Likes

I hadn’t even seen that that shape was there! Stupid me. I’m good with the math, pretty much have that down. Just another hour or so of trig.
Thanks!

2 Likes

No worries, this Community is all about learning, helping, and sharing :grinning:
Hope you achieve your desired effect soon now, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with :+1:

1 Like

I see you found it, if you want to parametrize the radiuses of the “progress” bar with formulas, you would have to use shape element - arc, not progress bar. It also has the fill ratio, but no background.
You said you wanted to connect the hands. but why is the arc flying around the hands, instead of just rotating with one of the hands?

1 Like

This is the result I want

To make it happen, the center of the arc needs to stay at a fixed distance from the center of the face, and the radius change from zero (hands in the same position, as 12.00, fill 50%) to the distance to the center (hands opposite, as 6.00 fill 0%).
I’m planning two faces, the noodle 1 and the noodle 2. One is like this, the other the arc is opposite and it makes a loop or whatever the word is.

[edit] I’ve updated the result so far. Still some problems with the fill and the angle of the arc. Bit busy with something else atm, but should finish it up over the weekend.

1 Like

That is a difficult one . Sadly I think you have to split the formulas up into at least two .I think you have to swap sin and cos at some stage . Beautiful effect . Now all you have to do is Glue on some Diamonds ( NOT ) . If you get really stuck I know a man who can fix that .

I’m fine with doing the math, just need time to focus on it. I’ve gotten the radius and fill, all I need is to point it the right direction, that just needs a conditional or two.
It’ll be a bit tricky getting the start and end point of the hands right, but all in all, I’m nearly there.

1 Like

Very exciting . I must ask . Are you aware of the work of Zieneth Star . You and him are as mad as each other .

I just looked him up, very cool stuff! Hope we bump in to each other in here at some point.

1 Like

Sadly Zieneth does not come here often . I am sure he could be encouraged by another Magician .

Think I have it now, didn’t take as much time as I’d thought. Just need to make the other version, then publish. Once I’ve added the diamonds.

1 Like

Does invoking @Zieneth not work?

1 Like

The noodle 2, WIP. Fill and angle to be worked out, shouldn’t take too long, but another day.

2 Likes

Like a lot who are not retired he is a busy Man. You could always try DM him. I bet he makes an appearance soon.

1 Like

Very nice, I would not have the patience to derive the right formulas.

1 Like

I spend half my time with this thinking up weird stuff that requires math to do, and then half my time figuring out how to do it. For me it’s a mind teaser, like sudokus.
Whether it looks good or not is not really important.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Invoking @ works lol.
Did you get it worked out?
My apologies, my //real world// volunteer work has been quite busy.

1 Like

My friend I sometimes feel @ is a bit rude . Like whistling to get someone’s attention :::)))

Hello @Zieneth ! You were called because @russellcresser thought our ideas were similarly odd. I checked out some of your stuff, it does look like fun. I’ll have to go through some of it in inspector mode.

I never really needed any help with my design, apart from getting an arc with dynamic radius. I mainly do these things because I like figuring out the math.

But I hope to learn much from you. At a glance I’d say your designs could open my eyes to some new possibilities.

And apologies for the rude summoning.

2 Likes