Replace battery on fossil watch?

Has anyone changed the battery on a Gen5 Fossil? Or even the Gen 4. I found a YouTube video for the Huawei watch 1 a while back, and a source for the battery on eBay. It was $11 and about 20-30 min to do the job and it made the watch perform like new again. Anyone had success with the fossil? Mine only gets about 5-6 hours now.

1 Like

Not me sorry kvansant

1 Like

A bit off topic, I changed battery in my Gear S3. The battery charges well now, does not overheat, just the watch stopped to react to start button :frowning:

1 Like

I highly suggest against trying to replace the battery on these units. First off, I am having great difficulty finding the battery for these units. Second off, this is a very difficult unit to open. And what about reassembly? Would be anything be needed for reassembly? Many smart devices require special adhesives. I haven’t fully watched the video myself. So you would have to check there.

Youtube video for opening the Fossil Sport Gen 4: Fossil sport gen 4 smartwatch teardown | Battery replacement | Disassembly

If you want to do this yourself, please check with the company that you find the battery from and see if they include instructions prior to making a purchase or disassembling your smart watch. And verify if anything additional is needed, including specialty tools.

My advice would be to take it to an authorized repair shop so you can have it done properly.

1 Like

I’m the type that doesn’t mind digging into it if there’s nothing to lose. I can improvise the seal if it comes to that, but the main thing is acquiring the correct battery. I’ve changed it on a different smart watch, I’d expect it to be pretty similar on the Fossil, but still it’s reassuring to have someone else do it first :slight_smile: But since my Gen5 only gets 5-6 hours max now it’s not getting much use anyway, so not much to lose. I don’t think it’s worth the expense of sending it in to an official service center, in my experience the Fossil watches begin to fail in multiple ways after a year of regular use anyway. So my Gen 5 is due for other problems. But it was only $11 to do it myself on the Huawei so that certainly is worth it.

2 Likes

Jolly well done I say. Always worth a go : )

This being said, you may have to disassemble it to get the part number off of the battery and search for that specific battery online. Please do not use a razer to try to pry it open like the beginning of the video. That is extremely dangerous.

Some places to check other than Amazon and eBay include DigiKey or Mouser Electronics. There is always a possibility that they have a proprietary battery that you cannot find other than the OEM Manufacturer.

That’s the best I can do for you at this time. I hope it is helpful.

1 Like

Odd, my gen5 is 2 years old now and still fine. Still lasts almost the same amount of time a day.
I don’t do a lot with it though, I hardly use any apps, just wear it, look at the time, and sync my faces. Also, when covid started I didn’t wear it for a few months and it was almost always in the charger. Only thing I had was the crown not turning smoothly anymore, but a little wd40 fixed that.

Would be nice to know if the battery is changeable when I need it though…

2 Likes