Roman Time display

So the Romans had hours that were not of a fixed length. They got longer or shorter depending on the season. In summer, a daytime hour would be longer than a night time hour.

I believe I have this watch close to correct. At least, all the numbers are turning on and off for about the same length of time during daylight hours. Each hour is around 57 minutes long.

Does anyone know what the Facer Creator system uses for sunrise and sunset? Doesn’t match my local time. I suppose I could put this on my watch and see what it shows.

This is the tag expression I’m using to turn VI on and off.

$((#DH#*3600)+(#Dm#*60))>(((#WRH#*3600)+(#WRm#*60))+((((#WSH#*3600)+(#WSm#*60)-(#WRH#*3600)-(#WRm#*60)))/12)*5)&&((#DH#*3600)+(#Dm#*60))<=((#WRH#*3600)+(#WRm#*60))+((((#WSH#*3600)+(#WSm#*60)-(#WRH#*3600)-(#WRm#*60))/12)*6)?100:0$

2 Likes

Your Formula looks a bit Cumbersome to me . But I can not check it till I get on my Laptop . The Sunrise Sunset times on Facer are Brilliant. They come from Open Weather . Sadly we do not have a Decimal minutes option . So working to minutes is a bit of a pain .
One thing you must have realised already on Creator SR SS are for the Server in L.A.
I keep the GPS on on my watch and have installed Open Weather on my Phone . SR SS are important to me . I have Markers on my 24 hrs watch Face and Total Daylight also a Solar Noon marker .
I understand the Romans Dividing up their Day by fixed Hours in Italy . I wonder when they got to the Scottish Borders in the Winter they compressed thier Hours to suit .
Interesting Concept . I personally find Time the most compressible thing in my life .

BTW . Open Weather does not report the Data but the second . It is reported by the Minute . So there is no need to work by the second .

3 Likes

@tudza . I offer you a Test . The only way I can prove that stuff is working is by making a " MODUS GRAPHICUS " . I thing your Formula is brilliant . You understand well what is required . For me I would say it is out a bit but seems like the strategy is correct . Do not let this topic Fade .

2 Likes

Think I read that the legions carried water clocks as a sanity check on timing. Might have to find that article again.

Haven’t read enough about the mile forts or whatever the term is for the places they kept concentrations of troops on the wall. If they had some standard time in Scotland at the time it would be there.

3 Likes

@tudza I am wondering if the Numeral in you Formula should be XI .

1 Like

Good news is on my watch “I” kicked in at 06:46 which is correct for my region. Sadly, the text Diei Hora took another standard minute to catch up. Meh, close enough for now.

2 Likes

Well, with the formulas as they are, one for each “hour” of the day seem to be at least turning on the numbers in order with the same amount of time between them. Seemed like a good start.

The expression I have for XI is:

$((#DH#*3600)+(#Dm#*60))>(((#WRH#*3600)+(#WRm#*60))+((((#WSH#*3600)+(#WSm#*60)-(#WRH#*3600)-(#WRm#*60)))/12)*10)&&((#DH#*3600)+(#Dm#*60))<=((#WRH#*3600)+(#WRm#*60))+((((#WSH#*3600)+(#WSm#*60)-(#WRH#*3600)-(#WRm#*60))/12)*11)?100:0$

If you scan through all that rubbish to the first “/12” you will notice it is followed by *10. That’s the lower end of XI with the higher end being the *11 part.

It’s supposed to say “Current time in seconds” > “Total seconds at sunrise” +
“One 12th of the total number of seconds between sunrise and sunset” * 10 && “Current time in seconds” < “Total seconds at sunrise” + “One 12th of the total number of seconds between sunrise and sunset” * 11

Makes you wish they still had the old Fitbit face system where you could write this all in Javascript. With variables, white space, etc.

3 Likes

Oh Yum . Proper coding and Access to the Ram and E2prom . Array would serve you well . Can you imagine . Ha Ha . I should have imagined that the Hours count started at dawn . Sorry I did no research . Please show your WIP . I understand you not wanting to make it public. You could DM me .

1 Like

Looks like the “hours” are one hour and three minutes today. Only way I can check things reliably is on the watch it appears.

I expect the length will get shorter given the equinox is coming up this month.

The link above will take you to the watch face view. I did a quick check in another browser not logged in to see that it came up and that inspection mode was working. Seems to be. Beyond the insane tag expression it’s pretty boring. Let you know once I’ve gotten the night time hour calculation figured out.

2 Likes

I got to Inspect your work . Will you excuse me suggesting a little Sand timer for the minutes . I have made one before but not with Flexi time . I look forward to seeing your Noctis Hora work . May I extol you to forget the seconds .
With your Permission I will completed the Diei Hora on my test . As you may imagine I am more than interested . I made a couple of Decimal faces . One I published I think . That was fun .

BTW remember the secret weapon #DISDAYTIME#

1 Like

Indeed, I started with #DISDAYTIME#. That is what triggers the Day/Night text. That is why the I comes on and then a little while later the DIEI comes on, two different ways of determining start of day being used. Wasn’t planning on changing that even though the difference is annoying. I could tack it onto the boolean statement for beginning and end hours, maybe.

I was cooking at the time, but I believe XII turned off about two minutes later than the sunset time I looked up on-line said it should. Still, I think it’s close enough.

An hour glass display for a rough indicator of how much of the hour has passed is not a bad suggestion. I had planned on an indicator ring around the outside of the face.

2 Likes

You could cheat you Boolean to line up with dis day time buy using <= . But without looking at you Formula carefully I am talking nonsense . Yes I see. I made this some time ago when DISDAYTIME was launched.
I call the old formula way the, Grunt method. I see DISDAYTIME early or late by 18 seconds. Stick to the Grunt. See I work to the minute. I have found the tolerance on different SR SS Data +/- 2 minutes. Just use the same data for everything.

1 Like

I believe the addition of #DISDAYTIME#=true or false at the edge cases of I and XII is taking care of the minute long overlaps that were bothering me. Not a surprise given the day and night text is triggered solely by these values.

Added the night time horas through V. VI looks like it will require two entries since Noctis Hora VI goes past midnight at most times of the year ( equinox it ends pretty much spot on at midnight just looking at the pictures I referenced )

VII - XII NH will need to count backwards from sunrise.

DIEI HORA values today are around 1 hour and 2 minutes.

2 Likes

Oh Great. Amazing what you are doing . Yes it is always difficult crossing Zero . Jolly well Done .

1 Like

Forgot to post this image. The battery went down to zero. After recharging and restarting the display looked like this. I tried installing another Facer watch face and it failed to display the time at all.

I loaded a non-Facer watch face which was fine and then re-installed Roman Time. Cleared up that time. Currently Diei Hora XI

2 Likes

OK, all the day and night hours are in. Ran through a whole day by the minute.

The editor seems to be using a sunrise time of 07:15 and a sunset time of 18:35. Not the correct values for my location at this date, but I knew that. On my watch I was satisfied that it was triggering at the correct local values.

With those values in the editor, a day time hour is around 56-57 minutes. Started at hora I and clicked 56-57 times and got to II, etc until daytime hora XII was over. So at least the Roman hour lengths are correct. Night time hora would be 1 hour and 3 minutes. That checks out.

Night time hora VI straddles midnight, though not as I expected from the chart I pulled up. I dealt with this by not dealing with it. I skipped to after midnight

Not sure yet if it’s right, but it is regular.

2 Likes

Try not to let your watch go as low as Zero . You will get resetting issues . The watch will recover . 2 Button Reboots force Facer to reload stuff in the right place .
Sorry I meant to send this last night .

1 Like

@tudza . I think it is amazing that you have scaled the Hours full stop . As your skills evolve you will come across tricks for crossing Zero . I will have a good look at it in a bit .
Sand timer next . :blush::+1::blush:

1 Like