Some thoughts on making your own elements, and other design thoughts

There are a lot of questions from new designers about creating their own elements.

Many of the seasoned users here use GIMP which is probably the most solid free art program out there but my brain has been conditioned over the years for a more standardised MS style environment and I just never seem to get my head around the UI of GIMP when I need to achieve something in a hurry.

I generally use Paint.net (though I do resourt to GIMP for format conversion and advanced selection options).
Also I use the web installer, not the Windows Store version.
Out of the box it is not nearly as powerfull as GIMP but with the addition of some plugins it can have some very useful effects such as adding after the fact antialiasing.

I found its layers easier to work with as well.

The plugins I currently have are BoltBait’s (BoltBait's Plugin Pack for PdN v4.2.12 and beyond (Updated July 16, 2020) - Plugin Packs - paint.net Forum).

One I have recently discovered is a quick way to generate a tick/number alignment template for any number of points up to 60.

For the face I was working on I wanted ticks at 15 degree (.5 hours) so 24 points.

I just created a transparent 32x320 image and sellected Effects->Render->Polygon

Added thre image temprarily to the face with transparency and used it to line up the ticks.

Of course you could also just add a layer to the image and use it to create a full image of ticks if you weren’t on the creator ony challenge binge.

4 Likes

I’ve been using Paint .net for a couple years now. I’ve installed a lot of helpful plug-ins like; DPY Plugins, WebP Support, Apply Texture, BoltBait Pack, ImSVG Open File, and Outlined Gradient Text. The DPY plug-ins has one that I use a lot. It’s AA’s Assistant, which will clean up the ragged edges on an image if you have deleted part of it. It prevents the image edge from showing white when it’s over a black background. VERY HANDY!

5 Likes

Thanks. Would love to see an example of AA’s assistant in action.

1 Like

I’ll add an example into the Eye Test face from the Bakelite thread.

1 Like

Reading with Intrest about Fixing Fuzzy Edges . Great Stuff guys.

2 Likes

If you have an image that is of lower quality or “slightly” out of focus, you can use a tool in the photo section called Sharpen. It won’t totally fix the image, but will help and when Facer cuts the image size in half it can make a fuzzy (focus) image usable.

2 Likes

Good tips guys. I’ve been using paint.net for years, and I had no idea you could add plug-ins. Now I’ve got more tools to play with. Always learning something here! :grin:

4 Likes

Glad I could help the helpers.Yort faces inspire me

3 Likes

Here is a screenshot of the AA’s Assistant results.

5 Likes