Step Count still not working properly

Has anyone actually found a fix yet for the step count not working properly? I’m seeing people from way back in November 2022 complaining about this and there still doesn’t seem to be an answer for it.

I’ve tried contacting the Facer support team twice about this and have had no response whatsoever.

The step count will always either stay at 0 or will get stuck at around 900-ish steps and not go any higher on the watch faces.
I’ve tried all of the suggested fixes and nothing has worked.

I don’t know if its relevant but I’m using a Pixel Watch, however I’ve seen people saying they’ve had the same issue on other watches too.

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be an alternative watch face app that has as much choice and variety, otherwise I’d just switch over.
So if there is no fix, does anyone know any decent similar alternatives to Facer? The step count is kind of the main reason I got a smart watch in the first place so not having an accurate reading of it on the clock face is very annoying.

1 Like

As of right now the Pixel is the only watch that is still having issues. It is also the only WearOS watch that has Fitbit integration. There is a pinned post about the step issues and Facer said that WearOS only sends the information to Facer for a while but stops doing so and Google is “supposed” to be working on a fix. I personally don’t believe they have any incentive to fix it due to them owning Fitbit and may be hoping that people will move to that platform with a subscription for health tracking. I don’t trust Google farther than I can throw them.

6 Likes

Nope, it’s just Facer on the Pixel Watch. Personally, I don’t think we’ll see a fix until the Pixel Watch 2. I certainly hope that one is offered to current Pixel Watch owners at a generous discount given everything we’ve had to put up with.

Regarding your other point, yes, there are lots of Pixel Watch/Wear OS faces on the Google Play Store. They do count steps from the Fitbit link perfectly. They aren’t nearly as nice as Facer faces, but I guess they will do in the short term. I keep collecting Facer favorites though. Someday, I hope to be able to wear them.

1 Like

Oops, I forgot to welcome you to the community. Glad you’re here. Enjoy!

1 Like

That makes sense. Looks like it’s been a problem for a long time, so I’m not too hopeful that they’ll fix it now unfortunately. I appreciate the reply, thanks!

3 Likes

It’s very annoying because there are so many amazing Facer watch faces but it just annoys me seeing the step count on 0! Oh well, hopefully they’ll give us a fix but considering they’re the only watch brand that have taken this long I’m not hopeful.
Such a shame.

3 Likes

That seems to be the case. There are vendors in my area giving away the watches with other purchases.

1 Like

Those are usually resolved when the user restarts the watch so all components can sync or when the user gives health permissions to Facer and reboots. The Google issue is a totally different situation.

1 Like

Glad I found this thread as this 0 step issue on my Pixel Watch was driving me mad! So, as I understand from this discussion this is a known bug with no solution? Checking my step count is one of my primary use cases and unfortunately this makes it impossible to use Facer.

This is particularly weird as Google specifically gave a shout out to Facer in their official blog post just last week (and how I found about it): 5 ways you can personalize your smartwatch with Wear OS

2 Likes

Ironic, isn’t it?!?!

2 Likes

Well guys - thanks to poking around on the Facer Official FB page (thank you Ashley Michalenko), someone with a Pixel Watch actually has steps counting past 999 - in fact, matching the Fitbit number perfectly (I am right now up to 1595 and that’s what the face says too). Is the problem solved? Unfortunately not - this particular face while very cute is not my preference; my eyesight isn’t good enough for this one. Here’s the link if you want to look. Fox + Finch - Heart Dashboard - watch face for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more - Facer

It seems to need a customizable complication for the steps. I tried on my practice design, but cannot figure out how to make one of these. All I can get when selecting Customizable Complication is the battery %. Does anyone know and can explain to a Facer Design for Dummies person?

1 Like

Those customizable complications are end user customized. What you put into the watchface is basically a placeholder only. When the watchface is done and synced to your watch, you tap the complication twice and then you can select what app you want to use for that complication. Once you have selected it the icon will change to that app’s icon and stay that way until the end user changes it.

3 Likes

Ah hah, got it - thank you. It’s a very simple design, but I’m learning. All it has right now is a pretty background, heart rate, remaining battery percentage, AND A WORKING STEP COUNT. I haven’t come close to figuring out themes, colors, etc. There really does need to be a book titled Facer Creator for Dummies.

2 Likes

I think that is what the Facer Community pages is for. :grin:

3 Likes

Oh good - then I don’t have to feel awful about bugging you guys.
OK, it’s boring and simple but the step count works and it’s kind of pretty, so here goes.

1 Like

First “dummy” question (not not really - I’ve asked dumber ones) - Is there a way to test weather icon versus time? Like right now, it’s daytime and sunny out - so the icon is perfect, but will it change to a moon after sunset. A pretty sun at night just looks silly. Something to do with layers, I bet. Do I know how? Of course not. I had the greatest set of weather images on my Fitface designs :unamused:

1 Like

If you put weather icon night in the search box you will get few topics where you can find the explanations.
To summarize, you would need two layers of weather icons element. Each holding its own set of images assigned to a weather condition (ideally of similar size), one for day other for night. You may start by having the default set and its duplicate where you swap the icons with sun for some modified images with moon.

Then you would have to switch between the two sets either at fixed time or at sunset/sunrise with expression for one of the coordinates or size, to put one of them off screen when needed, since weather icons element does not have field with opacity.
For example this could be in x or y coordinate field to shift the layer off screen when sun is down:
$(#WSUNRISEH#*60+#WSUNRISEM#)<(#DH#*60+#Dm#)&&(#WSUNSETH24#*60+#WSUNSETM#)>(#DH#*60+#Dm#)?160:1000$
and this when sun is up:
$(#WSUNRISEH#*60+#WSUNRISEM#)<(#DH#*60+#Dm#)&&(#WSUNSETH24#*60+#WSUNSETM#)>(#DH#*60+#Dm#)?1000:160$

Some pretty icons were also in the forum resources section you already visited.

4 Likes

Uh, I think I’ll pass on weather icons for now. That’s way more coding than I’m up for. I changed it to thermometer and temperature.
Next dumb question - how do you add a.m. or p.m. after the time? “Should” be simple, but then again.

2 Likes

Its one tag #Da#

3 Likes

Yeah - not too bad; got it. Thank you.

1 Like