Step Dial Not Calibrating

I have been trying to set the formula for my step dial gauge and I have no idea why it will not work as I intended.
First: My gauge is calibrated correct. 0°@ 12:00. 90°@ 3:00. 180°@6:00 all clockwise rotation.
I am trying to set my step count as follows. 15,000 steps. Start 0 steps @ -140° (apprx 7:00). Rotate clockwise to +140°, 15,000 steps (apprx 7:00). 280° total rotation.
I’ve seen topics and have followed them but no success.
I have tried: (-140(#ZSC#/1500)420). (#ZSC#/15000.02)*420). (-140+(#ZSC#?15000)*240).
I have set up watch and phone power dials no problem and have tried to just change the tag to #ZSC#. No go either. could you please explain what I am doing wrong. I would really like to learn what I am doing wrong. Specifically, What each number or input represent. And Comma grouping.
Thanks, Scott.

step dial 15K

step dial 15K

I just tried ((#ZSC#/1500*0.02)-120) and the dial is at 0 with apprx 200 steps. The dial seems to be in correct orientation but I’ll have to see how it tracks. I believe the last formula input (-120) has to be tweeked for proper end to end needle sweep.???

I worked out that the formula is:

((#ZSC#*0.01866667)-140)

If the hand is to go from -140° to 140°, then that is 280°. So each step out of 15000 would be 280/15000 = 0.01866667. So that is you factor to multiply with ZSC. And since you want to start at -140°, you need to subtract it.

if you want the hand to stop at 140, then you’ll have to also use the clamp function.

4 Likes

Nice Little Tutorial @tom.vannes. This is what this community is about. Every day is a School day. @scttwd I like your choice of 15k steps for your gauge. Later I will show you how to increase the Range of your sliders for Testing. You may have to remind me. I am not on my Laptop at the moment.

1 Like

I applied Tom’s formula and now see how it does on my watch.
I really appreciate the help this community and every one it is willing to give. I have seen and read some great tutorials on the site and they are definitely great. One thing I notice is that a lot of creators seem to use different tag formula’s to achieve the same result. Maybe it’s just me. Confusing to. I think I understand the formula’s but when I apply them they don’t work. I understand Tom’s basic formula, I hope. It is straight forward and makes sense to me. Thx again.
I hope I start getting this stuff. I don’t want to wear out my welcome. :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

@scttwd. You will not wear out your Welcome. If you keep coming back we will get to Know you Better. For me composing Formulas is like music. Not that I possibly could. I just put stuff together and if it works I leave it alone. There are a few like @petruuccios who compose thier Formulas Descriptivley so you can see how the structure works. As opposed to my stuff which is 9 times out of 10 a Happy Accident.
It took me nearly 2 years to start remembering anything. Get the Basic Conditional structure in your head. One of the other things I remember is #BLN# ( battery level number ) and #DWFHS# ( 24hrs rotation angle ) for testing the rotation of stuff with the Time Machine. I think that is a popular way of starting as a lot of stuff is based on Rotation on most Faces. Unless you are a Digital Waller of Course.

2 Likes

Well said, I did just that to verify my formula. Took a seconds hand, changed to ZSC for the rotation, did the math and tested it with the slider, unfortunately it only goes to 10000 steps.

2 Likes

I did the same as far as changing the tag from my #BLN# dial to #ZSC# and it did not work.
When you say “slider”, are you referring to the time machine. I have used it for clock number orientation verification but don’t know how to switch it to different elements for testing. If possible. I am using v7.1.4.509 PC app and the online creator.

1 Like

I think the sliders are called all the tools for previewing various data imputs in the preview panel.

3 Likes

Ok, I use this all the time. Thanks.

1 Like