Sun traveling along arc between sunrise and sunset - how to?

Hi again!

This time I’ve encountered something I don’t think I can solve on my own, not with my math skills being what it is. I seem to have an issue even figuring out what to start with so express talk: I would like to understand how to create X and Y expressions to allow Sun image to travel along an arc, from Sunrise position to Sunset position.

The trouble I’m having originates in the fact that as time of year changes, the amount of daylight time will also change, yet the icon needs to travel along the same length of path, just at different pace depending on time of year.

This Living Sun Dashboard by R.K is the exact example of what I mean:

I really don’t know how to even begin working on this.
Converting hours and minutes into radians?

Here’s hoping you, Community, have a better understanding of this than I do (which shouldn’t be difficult cause mine is effectively zero :rofl:

As always, thanks to all who share their knowledge! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I can not see on the watch you have posted where the sun travels its arc. You could make your design Inspectable so others can see what you are trying to achieve. I have a few designs where the arc of the daylight hours is shown on the Face but the sun is always visible on the face using (180+(#DWFHS#)) as I always have midday at 12 O’clock.
Varying the size of the Arc to illustrate the daylight hours. SR SS etc.
Let us know if this helps.

1 Like

I think you couldn’t see it yesterday as the sun was already past sunset time and hidden behind the sunset time value. If you check it now, you can see it travel from sunrise time on the face to the sunset time on the opposite side :slight_smile: Try using time acceleration to see it moving :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK. Yeah I see it now. Sorry I gave you an over simplistic answer to your question. So you want the sun to transit the weather Window left to right during the daylight hours only. If you see something I posted previously it calculates the daylight Hours and mins. Obviously you do not want to work in hours. But look at the maths. You will see it is not to difficult to convert SR to mins and then angle. The scaling of the Arc will be the number of mins of daylight devide into your window size in degrees. This is not simple. Unfortunately I will not be able to do to much myself. We have family visiting today. Please enable Inspection on your watch so I can see where you are with this maths : )

1 Like

No worries, I appreciate your time!
I too have a lot of work at home this weekend and family visit tomorrow so will work the element of my own watch face and then publish it for inspection.
The one I linked is someone else’s work and that’s how I find out it can be done. Although I believe, looking at how it works, that’s a rotating element instead of X/Y position changing. At the very least, it seems an easier way to do it.
I’ll check out your work when time allows to look for inspiration there, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah. You do not need to get into X Y Cos Sin for that one. Start a simple face that just has the Sun image on a Hand layer and two lines that describe the arc of the window. ( 2 Hands ) . When it is working you can add it to your face composition. I often put in a text layer with the maths in to see what it is doing. Some times it is useful to (floor(…)) you maths so you only see the integer : )

1 Like

This is exactly what I was dealing with. Perhaps it can be explored from this.

2 Likes

I can see it when I hit Fast Forward :grin:

1 Like

Oh my, it wasn’t just explored :slight_smile: It was thoroughly analyzed and used immediately as it is exactly what I was looking for - I can’t thank you enough!

Thanks to you, I was able to create the travelling sun element that I wanted to incorporate into this face (although arguably it could be done better but it’s a creative learning process so yeah, I’ll take the experience out of it :smiley: )

Bless you!
PS: Sorry for shamelessly plugging this but I LOVE your designs, they’re an inspiration to me on how to present a lot of information without cluttering the screen and staying readable AND having extra elements to look like real watch face: something I have much to learn about yet hence it’s great to see you at work!

3 Likes

akar.zaephyr!!! :slightly_smiling_face: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

Impressive !!! very good work!!! :100:
Interesting all, and the color too! :sparkles:
Cordially JDCardozo

2 Likes

You’re welcome. If I can help and it’s time, I’ll be happy to help. But don’t want animation or timing with interpAccel, etc., for example, I haven’t really understood that until now.

Just to be sure, the graphics in that watchface aren’t mine. I was just adding hand calculations there.

Still, thank you for the flattery.

Nice watchface. I would probably choose a larger font. I can’t even see my creations without glasses.

3 Likes