Temperature is not updating

Hello! I just picked up my Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch and could not wait to customize the watch face. This led me to Facer and its been a lot of fun browsing and swapping things out. But I have run into an issue. The temperature displayed on any of my Facer watch faces is not correct. The weather widget on the watch is correct and if I switch to a watch face outside of Facer the temp is correct. I’ve done the various things I’ve found on other posts but none of them seem to have fixed it. The temperature DOES change and is within a few degrees F of being correct.

For example, most of the afternoon it shows 78F. I was not checking the temp on my phone at the time to compare till later. It continued to show 78F as the temp dropped. It is now showing as 72F and my watch face shows 76F.

Is there a setting I’ve missed someplace that is blocking Facer from getting the correct information?

1 Like

As I understand it, the the weather data from the external weather site is taken from the nearest weather station to your location. However, nearest may not be very close so there may well be a difference ( usually reasonably small unless there is also an altitude difference between your location and the nearest site ). I don’t know how the Samsung weather widget works so I don’t know if it is generally more reliable. Some sites that claim to give a value for your actual location are in fact providing an estimate determined by interpolating the data between two or more nearby sites to give a somewhat closer estimate ( except when the weather is changing quickly or there are some local factors that are not allowed for ). Anyway, in summary, the weather data is just an estimate based on the nearest weather station and at times it may be quite close to the actual temperature but at others it can be a few degrees off. I hope that helps a little!

DISCLAIMER: I’ve picked up this information from several different Facer Community posts, so this is just my overview of the issue.

Facer uses OpenWeather (https://openweathermap.org) for their weather source. OpenWeather does not use your “exact” location (no matter what your watch says) and just gives the region wide weather which can be different from where you are now.

You have to make sure your phone is not set to use power management (Adaptive Battery) where it closes “unused” background apps, or at least exempt the Facer app from it.

Next I’ve found that my weather updates more regularly if I open the Facer app 3 or 4 times during the day. There have been lots of times where I’ve looked at my watch and thought that the temperature was wrong, opened the Facer app, closed it and checked my watch and it be close to correct.

NOTE: I’m using a Galaxy S3 Frontier and an Active 2 watch for my daily carry. I also have a cheap TicWatch E that I use only for testing and it seems to have the same issue and cure.

These are my personal observations and are of course subjective: Your Mileage May Vary!

1 Like

As a bit of added information, right now my Facer watch face says it’s 73°F 22.7°C and the watch’s weather says it’s 72°F 22.2°C. Online local weather says it’s 70°F 21.1°C and the OpenWeather page says it’s 70.6°F 21.4°C. My thermometer at my house says it’s 80.6°F or 27°C. The bottom line from all of this is, it’s warm enough to go outside without a jacket. :joy:

1 Like

I remember the good old days when the weather guys were having a really good day if they were able to predict what the weather would be 12 hours from now to plus or minus a few degrees! :grinning:

2 Likes