"Ten ten" and "Half past noon" vs "10:10" and "12:30"

There have been a few text based watch faces but I haven’t found what I wanted… however I haven’t found any information/tutorials on how to do what I want.

I’ve found faces that are close to correct “ten seven” vs “ten o’ seven” and “forty eight past ten” when it should really be “twelve until eleven.” Anything past the thirty minute mark should be “until” not “past,” which all of the text based faces show. I’ve also found one that has said “ten ten six” instead of “ten sixteen.”

I am willing to put in the work to make it but I just don’t see how to make it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I have made a straight forward text based face as you described… always ‘so many minutes after hour’ format. I would expect that what you need to do is always calculate both halves (the pre-30 and the post-30 minute text) and then hide one or the other depending on which half of the hour you are in. The hardest part would be translating the numbers to text on the post-30 calculations… as of now (from what I can see) the editor only provide wording for the number of minutes after the hour (twenty two) and doesn’t seem to have the same for the number of minutes before the hour. If the wording for this is out there, I would like to do the same… I will keep looking.

Good luck!

Sorry for the ramble :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Okay - how did you make it? I went through the whole “create your own” thing and didn’t see anything anywhere on how to do that outside of adding elements like the digital clock or analog hands and numbers. Am I just blind or is this in an area that’s not right out there?

So the problem is that there isn’t a “string value” for minutes that counts backwards or “until” the hour. It’s possible with numbers but not text. The way to do that would be
(60-#Dm#)
So if it’s 35 after, 60-35=25 until the hour.
You could do something like,
25 minutes until six pm.
If you could add an hour onto the current like this,
(60-#Dm#) minutes until (#DhT#+1) #Da#…
But you can’t add to the text value I don’t believe.

I know that’s not what you’re looking for exactly but I believe what @VincentVega01 did is as close as you can get until facer adds a string value that counts down instead of up.

Although you could make it happen if you were dedicated enough to do it. Each hour and each minute would have it’s own layer and do a transparency string to activate it during the appropriate time.

This is a great proof-of-concept (POC).

I could probably come up with the syntax to provide the remaining word-numbers, with a little effort. I already wrote much of it some week ago.

What is the actual demand for this type of text time watch? (Potential user base.)

How many different regional / dialect variants are there? Or, is there an agreed (US) standard for time text-wording?

Sorry for my absence… I was on holiday :slight_smile:

I think that the easier way to go may be to build a mechanism in which you could pass a number and the string value is returned. This way, any of the number values could be ‘stringified’ without adding tags for them all. I am thinking of all of the current string tags that could be removed if this happened.

I realize that this is a departure from the current methodology so I dont really have my hopes up… just an idea.

As for the questions:
What is the actual demand for this type of text time watch? (Potential user base.) Any face where the user would like to see, in text, the number of minutes before the hour.

How many different regional / dialect variants are there? Or, is there an agreed (US) standard for time text-wording? I think it may make sense to start with the simplest as suggested and then assess the value and if it needs to be extended from there.

sarabelle.navarro,

found your thread by accident, searching for solving a maybe regional based issue.

made one similar, the key is to define ranges and to combine them like this:

$#Dm#>9&&#Dm#<15?100:0||#Dm#>49&&#Dm#<55?100:0$

hth
cheers
Bernd

1 Like