Things Are Going To Get Interesting - Pixel Watch

I just found this story by Pocket-lint. Google files trademark for ‘Pixel Watch’ ahead of I/O: Is a launch imminent? It’s seriously looking like there may be a new WearOS watch on the horizon.

5 Likes

I’ve seen that before, but I’m more interested in the next GW5, which I read this about earlier - " We can also confirm that the Galaxy Watch 5 will run a new version of One UI Watch on top of Wear OS 3", which sounds really interesting to me.

2 Likes

I’ve also read that the new Gen 5 GW’s will have a larger battery for longer battery life. I’ve also read that they are going to drop the Classic name and go with GW Pro. Pocket-lint didn’t know if the Pro version would still carry the external ring or if it would be a capacitance one like the standard GW4 has. I try to stay informed about watches as much as possible.

I’ve totally excluded ever having another TicWatch no matter how good people say the Pro 3 Ultra GPS is. I’ve read some bad things about it in the Mobvoi forums and about how bad Mobvoi’s customer service is. I’ve had two of them the E2 and the C2 and both of them died from battery issues less than a year old. That is why I’m now using my Fossil Carlyle to test with. I know it’s a good watch.

3 Likes

I read about that too just minutes ago… and it would be a shame if they do drop it. Having gone from a GW1 to a non-classic GW4 (to save a few $, now I’m kicking myself), the rotating bezel ring is FAR superior for navigation, period.

4 Likes

That is why I bought the Classic first. I then went back and bought the “Active” version just to wear at night recording my nighttime blood O2 due to my COVID recovery plus having had low O2 levels at night due to my snoring. That is pretty much the only reason I got the non-classic because at night if I don’t turn the ring off, as I move around, I’m activating the watch all night long. Both versions of the watch have a place in my life.

3 Likes

I also have high expectations for the GW 5. I have not bought the 4 due to the many problems it continues to have. Battery that does not last long (with the GW 1 I arrive at 3 days with everything activated; with the 3 I arrive at 2 days always with everything activated) it seems that the 4 is struggling to make it to the end of the day.
Then there are the constant reboots, of which I read everywhere, to fix the countless defects. The thing I don’t like is that by rebooting I have to set all the settings from scratch. Really boring.
I regret good old Tizen. Never did reboots and never had any problems. I agree with @mrantisocialguy regarding the TicWatches.
I have a TicWtch Pro, but I will never buy another one again. I like the watch, it runs smoothly, but … they have the WORST customer service I can remember.
In 2 years that I have the watch, never did a software update and only 3 times have fundamental apps updated like TicHealth; Tic Pulse and Tic Exercise. Really BAD.
Let’s hope for GW5. Better still would be a return to Tizen, but … I very much doubt that this will happen.

3 Likes

mrantisocialguy

There is a way to turn off watch 4 at night while it will still measure O2:

Phone: settings - digital wellbeing and parental controls - bedtime mode - set schedule the way you want it (don’t click on turn on now, you need to “turn on as scheduled”)

Watch 4: watch settings - advanced features - bedtime mode - turn on “sync bedtime mode”

Voila! Watch screen is dead during the night but health measurments are alive.

2 Likes

I’ve used bedtime mode before, but it only shows the time. When I wake up at night (at least enough to know I’m awake) I like to see what time it is and what the outside weather is. I have a watch face that I use at night that does everything I need. Including being red in color to not hinder my night vision in case I need to get up for a trip to the water closet.
f6e3c28d47c4f4b772d82427972d7fc6_Private6-preview-round

3 Likes

LOL

Sorry, I never thought of it.

You are an interesting man, I have never woke up in the middle of the night and checked the outside weather. Never even checked the time. I want it turned off while sleeping.

4 Likes

Hey, when you get to my age you want to know how much time you have left…and knowing if it’s cold and rainy outside is an added plus. :laughing:

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Me too. I like my night AOD red for same reason don’t mess with night vision. Also I like astronomy so it keeps my eyes open outside.

3 Likes

wonder if that will solve my issue with adding outlines and glow, to the time, namely it goes all weird and off on my GW4.

3 Likes

Probably not. I think it’s a WearOS vs 3rd party apps issue. Though, I’ve never seen a Google Play watch face with Glow or Stroke either, but I may have just not noticed.

2 Likes

We learned a while ago not to use any Glow because it doesn’t work on GW4 unfortunately.

1 Like