Timezone indicator (analog)

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to make a hand rotate according to the current timezone?
Looking on wikipedia (Time zone - Wikipedia) I see we have 38 different timezones, so I designed a dial divided into 38 parts, now I’m wondering if it’s possible to move a hand using an expression involving current time #Dk# and #DUk#.

A clarification, the hand should start from 0 degrees = UTC and move accordingly based on the hours to add or subtract based on the time zone

Ok I think I got this,

Divided 360 degrees into 38 parts

360 / 38 = 9,473684210526316‬

Then used this formula:

(#DUH#-#DH#)

To find the difference between current time and UTC

So final result should be

(-(#DUH#-#DH#)*9.473684210526316)

Please let me know if it’s ok, I’m in UTC+1 zone and from what I can see by replacing #DH# with numbers in the expression, it’s working, but I still have doubts as I can not test it ‘on the field’.

If someone could try it and give me feedback it would be much appreciated.

The 38 time zones are not all equal in that some are not on hour boundaries. So while you can use #VAR_1# (which can be incremented/decremented/reset), there is no way that I know of to set #VAR_1# to a value except with those user initiated functions. Meaning, you can’t easily set #VAR_1# to be +5.75 for Nepal for example.

Incrementing and decrementing #VAR_1# is easily enough and you can use it along with #DUH# and #DUm# to drive an analog hand (I’ve done so in my recent designs) but each time the user increments #VAR_1# it will be by an even amount. So you can drive a hand to indicate which of the 38 time zones you are listing on the dial, you will have a hard (or impossible) time making an analog hour hand and minute hand correlate to the indicated time zone.

There is a way to do half hour zones but it means that each user click to advance the time moves things 30 minutes. So to advance 10 hours, it takes 20 presses. To support quarter hour time zones (like Nepal), it would 4 presses per hour of advance. It can be done, but it’s sort of burdensome on the user. Plus while the #VAR_1# value can be displayed (which is what I do), it won’t correlate to the 38 values you are after.

You could have your analog time zone display hand move in 48 positions and you choose to only label 38 of them. Actually some of them will have double labels (+13 and +14) but you get the idea.

2 Likes