To copy an existing watch face and make changes

Hey I recently liked a watch face and was unsatisfied with its aod, i did comment to ask if the dev could change it but he refused, is there any way I can copy that watch face to the creator and change the aod alone to my liking from my watch alone

As long as you already have had a communication with the designer, it would probably be best to ask him that question. Otherwise, you would be essentially copying the work of another person and making one alteration - which would not be a good thing to do without permission from the original designer.

1 Like

That is a fair point, but I’m going to do it and not publish the Design, i just want it for my watch just for me, is there a way for me to copy the aspects of that face and make my own changes…?, I don’t see such options on the creator

1 Like

If inspection (rocket icon) is available on the face you like you could look at how it is designed and use that as inspiration to build your own, unique face.
If a disigner has their face inspectable it usually means they want to inspire others but it is always good form to tip them a nod here if you publish, or PM them with a link to your mods if you don’t, just by way of thanks.

1 Like

Technically as long as he doesn’t give it to anyone else then from a legal standpoint it’s fair use. You are allowed to take someone’s art and transform it. You just can’t make money on it unless 51% of it is essentially original.

1 Like

Facer - Thousands of FREE watch faces for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more

The short answer is: no, you can’t (there is no option to do this)

1 Like

That would be a good feature. Put in a request with the creator and you’re unable to share it or show it.

Id use it, I find plenty of faces that I like but I’d want a shortcut or maybe a different font.

Then you could show the edits to the original creator and they could publish it if they wanted.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! I’m curious - what didn’t you like about the AOD? When I decide on my AODs I usually go for pretty minimal (analog sometimes just the hands, digital just the time, and sometimes the date with either.
If people ask me politely for another version of something I always try to meet the request. That said perhaps the designer in question is very ridgid with his/her work. In any case, I do understand how frustrating it can be to love a watch face and still have one thing that just doesn’t work for you.