To Go Pro or Not To Go Pro, That IS The Question

I have been toying with the idea to go with the Pro upgrade just because I get so many requests about changing the color of some of my faces. It would be easier (I think) to just be able to allow the user to change the color with the Pro Themes. I have no ambition of ever trying to become a partner just because this is a hobby, and I don’t ever want it to become a job. I’m just curious as to how those who have made the jump feel about it in retrospect. It does kind of chap my a** that I have to pay someone to be able to make free watch faces, but that’s just the cheap Scotsman’s blood in my veins. :grin:

6 Likes

In my opinion, if you go pro as a non-partner, you should do it for you, because:

• You will be paying so that others can enjoy more colors
  • As soon as a watch has any of the pro features it will not be free anymore, so you might lose some syncs there

If you like toying around with the variables and such, then it would be worth it (perhaps for a limited time), other than that, I see no point.

10 Likes

I’ve toyed with the idea too, but the thing that “chaps my a**” is that suddenly my faces become paid, and I still won’t make a dam cent for my work. They will get my $ and my users $. How fair is that? If I could split the profit of “my work” with Facer, so I could get a tiny bit of it & of course they would get the bulk (since they are the backbone), I’d jump on Pro in a heartbeat. So until this changes, a free hobby it will stay…

7 Likes

One thing that doesn’t seem to make sense with this business model: if a non-Creator has a Pro account, and they have faces with Pro features, and their Pro subscription expires-- it’s Facer that will lose out on the prospect of their Pro faces selling.

PS-- sounds like we need some Gold Bond anti-itch ointment with all that chapping :rofl:

4 Likes

Hi
To be or not to be … that’s the problem. I decided to “be” because I’ve always loved chronographs and the only way to get them was to be a pro.
To solve the problem of faces that become paid if they have pro functions, I have often done 2 faces. A working and paid pro. The other, speaking of chrono, with the hands of the sub dials that simply indicate hours, minutes and seconds without the chrono function, but for free.
Does Facer make money with my faces? It’s true, but I don’t care, on the other hand they keep the platform alive for all of us by supporting the expenses.
Of course, as @bradtc says it would be nice if a small part of the proceeds were given to us, but …
In any case, I have chosen the monthly subscription, so I can unsubscribe at any time

3 Likes

@diavo. Thank you for you contribution to the cost of running Facer for those of us that would love to but just can not afford the Subscription.
Perhaps @Facer_Official could organise to discount your Subscription by a certain amount related to the amount you accumulate for them on Premium Syncs. Just Saying ::))

4 Likes

I’ve tried Pro… didn’t like it.

You get (almost) nothing.
You have to build watchfaces completely different because you have to think about how changing color will affect the rest of the watchface.
For example, if you add gif that is mostly green you have to think about how it will look with yellow, red, pink, blue… in most cases it doesn’t work well.

The same goes for complications: you have to think about all possibilites: how it will look if user add Fit statitistics or weather or anything else.

At the end you just limit yourself.

And you cannot add any complication from Samsung Health which was why I tried the Pro version - I thought that maybe the live heartbeat, calories, floors… will work through the complications. They do not.
But they, I have to say, do work with Google Fit (calories, move minutes…).

And if you care how many people will use your watchface: very few.

I also don’t like the idea that I have to pay for something that will be sold to other users.

6 Likes

I would ask them back, if they are willing to buy the face or pay for a premium for them selves and pro for you. Just kidding, that would not be fair. Or do premium users ask you that?

I tried it for one month long ago (the sum for that should not ruin anybody). But I was not ready. I only made one pro face in that time, because I had no concepts ready to be finished (or enhanced with the pro features). It is a lot more work to make it do things well and pretty. And much less people is going to try it anyway.
If I ever considered using Facer as a main face on my watch (seems not being anytime soon as it still eats my watches battery like crazy), then I would pay for one month again when I am ready, make the face for my self and not publish it at all, so no other user has to pay Facer again for something I already bought.

4 Likes

It has taken me nearly 2 years to get where I am today with Facer. I would hate to have Premium/Pro for a month and then lose Variables, Chrono and Touch Interaction. Even at my age that would feel a little like P…k Teasing. :joy::blush:
I do find with each update Facer is drawing less power.

4 Likes

I went Pro just to have access to features I wanted in my personal watchfaces. I use complications quite extensively. I design strictly for myself, so syncs don’t matter to me, though I have had about 10 for some bizarre reason.

4 Likes

I do not like the Idea of Phantom Syncs if you have not Published a Face. Strikes me that your account is not Private. But you do not seem to be too concerned. :thinking::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Whatever you made stays available. You can get PRO for a month, make a bunch of stuff and keep it after ending the subscription.

7 Likes

I’ve been reading the Themes & Color Customization page. If I’m not reading it wrong, which is entirely possible, Pro Themes will not do what I want it to do. What I would want is to be able to change different parts independently from other parts. As an example I would want to be able to change the hours color, the minutes color, and other information like weather, health, and date. Which would require 3 separate theme areas. The page reads like anything with the paint brush icon activated will be part of a single theme color selection. That is unless you can add different trigger spots for different theme areas like it is for the links to battery, date, calendar and health.

All that being said, my vision would end up being even more work than I was thinking it would be. It’s beginning to look like it’s not something I want to get into unless it works exactly like I would want it to.

3 Likes

I should have clarified, I published the faces, I just didn’t expect anyone else to like them.

4 Likes

The only way I have been able to have multiple color choices on pro was to make a common group theme with the paint brush like you said and then anything else I make multiple copies of same image with different colors in pdn then use variables and transparency or move off face to pick for other objects

4 Likes

Hey Jim . Yeah I am surprised the way the syncs go . Interesting though over a while the popular ones bubble up to the top . Enjoy making faces you Like. If anyone else likes them that is a Nice Bonus .

3 Likes

I did Pro for a year. It had some nice analytic features, but i very rarely used the extra tags/variables etc, so i didn’t bother renewing. I don’t miss it and not paying for it has curbed my disdain for Little Labs a bit who get any revenue that Premium faces generate. Its like paying Little Labs so they can make more money off your faces, while you get nothing.

7 Likes

Technically you could do it with hotspots that change the colors by turning layers on or off if you want multiple color changes.

5 Likes

Since I went Pro a week ago I am completely lost, I would recommend not upgrading to Pro!
It’s NOT what I thought (my problem and I own it). I though you would get access to more pre-made dials, graphics (i.e. a heart for heart rate, little footprints for steps…etc.), meters and other cool stuff in the add element pulldown (if these exist, not sure where?), but I guess you have to be an artist or graphic designer and create your own. I am very thankful for some really nice users from the community reaching out to help but I think a graphic design and coding background would go a long way. Good luck getting a reply from anyone via email at facer, If they take your money, they should respond to their customers (period!) you can only milk the “pandemic induced” labor excuse for so long, then they need to own it!

6 Likes

@rmpfa There are a Ton of Beautiful resources on this Community. Look in the RESOURCES section. There is more than a Ton of Serious Mathematics here as well not always that easy to find. Facer have thier work cut out keeping the Platform together with all the Different Operating Systems and Fending off Bots and Hackers. The Resources on Facer Creator are Obviously intended for kick starting your journey. Getting into some method of making your own graphic elements will help to give you Faces, an individual look. It is quite surprising how wonderful some faces look that are made with the elements on Face, Creator Only.
Most of the Bonus of Pro is hidden under the Bonnet ( Hood ). Enjoy.

4 Likes