Want to create for Apple watch, too

I got a message from somebody asking me to make my watch face available for Apple watches. How do I do this? I thought all watches with Facer could use any face.

2 Likes

You’d have to recreate it using an Apple Watch Template in the Creator sorry @bakersfieldbobt

1 Like

Hi @bakersfieldbobt . There are severe restrictions in making an Apple Watch with Facer . If you go to Creator.io these days you are offered the option to create a watch based on one of the Templates . You obviously have to work within these windows . There are some Apple Pre-sets that I know nothing about but there are some Limited Layer options for Facer Complications . Have a go Have fun . But remember that the data on the face will only update on a 15 minute cycle.

SO NOW YOU KNOW

2 Likes

That might help to explain why I got a complaint on one of mine about the calories burned calculation being wrong. I knew that the burned calories were only based on the step count and told him that was the issue, being as it was not total calories burned.

2 Likes

MAG I think one of the Apple Pre-Sets is Calories Hence the comprehensive choice of Icons :laughing:.
I only really published an Apple Face as a response to a request .The most successful face had over 1K syncs not one comment about the minutes not working .
I am hoping that my Daughter in Law will give me some feedback on some I made for her to look at . I would Happily take the lot down . I hate to work with one hand tied behind my Back .

2 Likes

Some of the coding is different for Apple than what is used for WearOS. Calories is Move Value for Apple. Facer has provided that in the tags offered in Creator. When designing for Apple we are more restricted. It is not Facer’s fault.

3 Likes

@Linlay @russellcresser @icrltd4
Personally, I started doing some Apple watch faces because they are “square”. I would really like to own a square watch and make faces for myself on it, but there are no Facer compatible watches being made and sold in the U.S.A. (Apple is NOT an option for me. My last fruit company product was an iPod Touch gen 4.) Hopefully Fitbit under Google’s ownership will start making a few square Fitbit WearOS 3 powered watches that will support Facer.

2 Likes

@Linlay. I am not having a go at Facer for providing a Design opportunity for us with restrictions imposed by the linkining of two different technologies.
I am asking, since this is an open Forum for those who are Intrested, what we can do as well as what we can not.

I know that Facer relied heavily on feedback from the community during the rollout of Creator7.

2 Likes

I agree, at the very least they could add another linked page to the Facer Tags page for helpful hints on the making of Apple watch faces.

2 Likes

Excuse me MAG I know you have seen these .
But while we are talking about what is in the Facer Documentation .
Thanks for flagging up[ the Tags .
Here are long hand links to the three Pages regarding Apple Watch designing.

/// Creator for Apple
https://help.facer.io/hc/en-us/articles/4411453461531-Facer-Creator-for-Apple-Watch

/// Limitations
https://help.facer.io/hc/en-us/articles/4410743436187-Limitations-of-Apple-Watch

/// Size Tips
https://help.facer.io/hc/en-us/articles/4411465034267-Sizes-Tips

2 Likes

I am not sure what your question is. The restrictions are not because two technologies are linked, but because Apple controls what we can do for AW just as Google controls what we do for Wear OS watches. I look at it as not one Creator that is supposed to handle both worlds, but as two Creators in one - depending you your choice of templates.
Yes, there is a bit of a learning curve, but Facer has provided what it can for us in Creator. If you want to do advanced complications, animations, etc. perhaps Apple is not your cup of tea. Something that helped me was to research the type of complications Apple offered on their watches. I had to learn the vocabulary and ask friends with Apples how things worked. So far we can use a few of the same type of complications, but we can’t code dancing frogs.

3 Likes

Hi @Linlay . I am sorry I thought the main restrictions on AW was due to their Battery Conservation Technology. I am not into Dancing Frogs . Great Idea Though . I had an AW with multiple pendulums making a Wave on it . There were many syncs on it and No comment what so ever from Users or Facer. It was not run with animation but live action . I still do not know to this day if it worked on AW or not . I took it down out of consideration as I did not want Apple or Facer to look BROKEN.

I do not really have any questions for myself but a little scan around the community will show that others do .

I just feel that there could be some more comprehensive documentation .
The Per-Set AW complications are still a Mystery to Most.
I am trying to recruit my Daughter In Law as an AW Tester.

Thanks for your Response : )

3 Likes

@russellcresser @Linlay
I have one face on my alternate (test) account that is for Apple and has been synced 38 times in less than 24 hours. So far with no complaints on it. That account only has 6 followers so it’s pretty obscure. I’ve recreated it on my main account and will post it sometime late January or early February.

MAG 1646

2 Likes

Yes, it is.

2 Likes

That is exactly what I was talking about! Thanks for posting those links.

2 Likes

I stopped doing Apple Faces because I couldn’t do much with them. Still do an occasional Photo only one to keep my Followers happy though. Oh…and we gotta love a dancing frog or two haven’t we :joy::rofl::joy:
26e519fee280292d6a56d0abcf58faf9

2 Likes

frogJaz

3 Likes