[WatchFace] Barometric Altimeter- Corrected - Published 😀

edit:

Now published!

A pilot chronograph with working barometric altimeter that can be corrected for atmospheric pressure variation via manual air pressure input.

Press the centre of the face to unlock themes and other user customisations.

Coming soon!

:grinning:

Notes:

1. Your watch MUST HAVE A BUILT-IN BAROMETER for this face to work.

2. Chronograph buttons ( start/stop and reset ) are disabled when the controls are unlocked.

3. The barometric altimeter is not compensated for temperature variations and will only display the approximate altitude. Do not rely on this altimeter for safety critical applications that require high accuracy, including for navigation. GPS altitude is far more accurate for such purposes.

4. The digital air pressure displays only show the manually entered air pressure - they do not change with local air pressure variations.

7 Likes

I love your design Mike. The military/flight theme is lovely. I am concerned about the readability of the watch though. Those hands seem very thick and, on top of that, there seems to be 5 hands coming from the center (minus the second hand if removed). Could it be possible to maybe skeletonize the hands or make the hands go to 20% opacity from a click?

2 Likes

Thanks @WilliamS for your suggestions - I did try skeleton hands however they get lost in the very busy background. The only way to see the hands is to make them solid or to change their colour. I tried different colours but it is already a colourful busy face and adding colour to the hands made it much more so. In the end the hand choice has been a compromise between large bright hands that are easy to see and read the time ( still the main aim of the watch ) and obscuring other detail. I’ll have to keep thinking about it. Thanks again :grinning:

1 Like

I like the design and cool functionality! I agree it’s always a bit of a trade off with choosing the right hands, trying to balance the optimal look with what might optimally serve function.

Maybe a tap to park the hands when one wants an unobscured view?

Speaking of which… How does one code something like that in Facer with a tweens movement between the parked position and the return to rotational position? In Watchmaker I knew how to do that but no clue in Facer.

2 Likes

Thanks, parking the hands would be a good idea - although all variables are already in use; it would have to replace another function.

A simple version could be achieved by just using conditional statements in the rotation fields based on the value of the variable; if 0 then rotate as normal, if 1 then set rotation to a fixed value.

A more complicated version would have the hands rotate to and from the park position over a small interval - say 0.5 to 1 second. There is another thread where this was discussed, if I can find it I will post a link.

3 Likes

An update before publishing …

• a ring added to the outer dial to indicate the range of values for the altimeter hand and battery indicator
  • improved shadows for hands
  • altered dim mode colours
  • time hands now rotate to fixed position when controls are unlocked to make sure they do not obscure the altimeter reading and barometric pressure entry fields.

5 Likes

Another masterpiece by @mikeoday… hats off

1 Like

Thank you very much! :grinning:

Great work. I love the face exactly as it is.

1 Like

Sick!

1 Like

Thanks @Gauss, much appreciated.

1 Like

I don’t know, do I need to socially isolate it for two weeks?

Thanks @Rator.

1 Like

Mike, I repeat myself but another nice dial, Congratulations!

1 Like

Ha! Maybe just in case, at least wash its hands…

1 Like

Thanks @oregon900!

1 Like

:joy:

They don’t shake anymore, just bump into each other, so all should be well …

2 Likes

Now published!

5 Likes