[Watchface] Opinions and Criticism

Hello Everyone,
I’ve been posting some of my original work here on Facer but have pretty low sync counts. Can anyone recommend me what to change with my account/watches to have more people use them? Any type of criticism is appreciated.

For some reason the day-date feature is screwed up on the preview but it is perfectly fine when you wear it.

Proportions, scale, color (contrast) …

That is a difficult question … accounting for taste is an impossible task.

All I can suggest is look at the watches that appear at the top of the category and top 100 pages and try to understand what it is about these faces that makes them attractive to people. Perhaps I can help a bit …

The two you have posted are typical, simple analog faces. People who are looking for watches like these will be looking for something unusual and/or they will be looking for graphics quality - something that looks great on their watch. You have chosen one of the hardest fields - simple analog faces. There are just so many of them out there and you have to find a way to make yours stand out - in a good way.

So, in terms of what you can do, well, invest some time in really getting to grips with a good graphics program ( there are good free ones, I understand GIMP is one ). Look for tutorials that tell you how to make realistic textures, shadows, lighting etc. And experiment with applying these to your designs.

Now an alternative is to look at information rich hybrid or digital faces. Firstly they are way more popular than simple analog faces. And secondly you have many more options of how to achieve a stand-out face. These include, interesting content, bold colour, eye catching layouts, animated bars and indicators, and many more. Again, you could look at what is successful and, without copying any one design, try to get some idea of what works.

I hope some of that helps.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

“How can I get more syncs” is pretty much what every user is wondering, regardless of their experience. Everything mikeoday said is correct (I also recommend GIMP) but I’ll try some specifics:

If your logo is going to be that big, pick a more interesting font. No offense, but “Stephano” isn’t exactly a brand people are familiar with, let alone find highly desirable. Save the huge logo until after you’re Facer-famous!

Brown and yellow are hard to make attractive, in general.

Some of your watches are a little busy. They may look good during creation, but remember these faces are scaled down. For example, Stephano Skeleton: that vertical texture makes it really hard to see those tiny gears, especially considering they’re the same color. Busy watches are popular on this site, but the pros manage to make it look elegant - I haven’t figured out how yet.

“Step Hano ]” is the only thing I can read on Stephano Steel Complications.

There are no real red flags on your watches. For me, the real fun from this site is learning new things in third-party software, like Photoshop, GIMP, Blender, and wrapping my head around the complication codes. There’s no way of knowing what’s going to be popular, so just keep creating until something sticks!

Also, I barely have any followers so what do I know

2 Likes

Thanks @mikeoday @andrew.dowden @pandaKrusher
I’ll work on all the things that have been recommended. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

1 Like