Weather High/Low does not update

When are we finally going to get a reliable Weather info on the Galaxy Watch.
It simply does not update and this issue has been on for years

Followed a few threads on this, saw nothing concrete from Facer

Thanks

2 Likes

Sometimes, I donā€™t know what the cause is, I have to restart my watch for the weather to change and actually update, or sometimes a reinstall of the companion app on the watch. I know itā€™s probably not the reply you were hoping for but, there you go, maybe itā€™ll at least help keep your watch updated.

Thanks.
Tried that, sometimes it works. As we speak I have restarted my watch, my phone, nothing gives.

In any case, above methods are not a solution. Facer should have come up with a decent solution to the problem thatā€™s been annoying users for a long time now.

One thing you need to do is on an Android phone donā€™t let the adaptive battery setting kill the Facer app as an unused app. If you make an exception for it that will keep it running. Then I make it a point to open the app 3 or 4 times a day which seems to force a weather update. Mind you that the opening of the app is just subjective evidence, but it seems to work for me at least. Iā€™ve check the weather before and a minute after opening the app several times and every time noticed that the weather had changed. Of course as always, ā€œYour Mileage May Varyā€!

1 Like

Thanks.

My Adaptive Battery is off, also made sure thereā€™s no other app that may put Facer to sleep.

An hour ago it just updated for the first time today, out of the blue, i did nothing.

Iā€™ve followed the discussions on this posted over the past two years, many good Facers tried to help but one thing is missing OFFICIAL FACER EFFORT TO SOLVE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Why isnā€™t anyone from the Facer team stepping up to the plate?

1 Like

I feel your pain. When I was looking for a platform to make watches I narrowed it down to the Galaxy Watch Designer and Facer. I wanted to make the ultimate fishing watch and Facer had way more options to put on the watch so I went with Facer for that. I did notice the same as you. The watch has tons of great information but none of it ever close even when it does update. Galaxy Watch Designer doesnā€™t have all the cool stuff Facer does but I now have 16 watch faces out there and Iā€™m going to head over to GWD and design a couple of the watches I designed over here and use a few of the weather complications and compare the reliability between Facer and GWD. I may end up using both platforms for a while. I have noticed that this topic is a few years old with nothing done to fix it so I donā€™t believe this fix is on the top of their priority listā€¦lol.

My question is, does it work correctly on any other brand of watches? I have the Samsung Galaxy Active 2 and it is a crap shoot at best for me with the weather being correct. It would be interesting to find out if weather works on anyoneā€™s brand watch correctly. Also would be interested to know what watch Facer is built for. There has to be the golden goose that everyone at Facer wears and develops to. Would be nice to know which watch that is!

From the forum posts Iā€™ve read about the accuracy (inaccuracy) of the weather. Even if it does update often enough it comes from OpenWeather and it doesnā€™t give you the weather for exactly where you are. It gives you the (avg) weather for the entire region where you are at. Which can and does vary quite a bit from place to place. As Iā€™m writing this I checked my watch and it says itā€™s 60Ā° with 17% humidity. I opened the Facer app on my phone and forced it to refresh and my watch now says 64Ā° & 17% humidity. The actual temperature here is 64.4Ā° with 18% humidity so at this moment itā€™s very close to being correct. So I guess in your words, Iā€™ve won the weather ā€œcrap shootā€ for the moment. :grin: BTW Iā€™m also running the Active 2, but it gives me the same quality of weather performance as my Gear S3 Frontier and my TicWatch E (Express) as for usefulness. Not any real difference between any watches that I have at least.

Thank you! That is good to know that it just isnā€™t the Samsung watches. Iā€™m still going to develop one over on the Galaxy Watch Designer and test between the two because both use open weather and see if one or the other has tweaked or not the weather so it is a little more accurate. Iā€™ll let you guys know my findings. I know there are a few more hoops to get the watch published on the Samsung store but I can at least sync it to my watch and test myself before publishing it to the store.

Iā€™ll keep you updated to my findings.

Well I thought I would take a gander over on the galaxy watch designer forum. Oh I think we may have it pretty good over hereā€¦lol. With some of the troubles we have over here to overcome it sounds like there are many more over there. I would say their design interface is about 2-3 years behind Facer and isnā€™t as easy to use. I did design one watch over there but did not submit it to the store and it was harder to design and took longer. I think maybe we see if we can get a response from Facer on the weather. I love that mrantisocialguy seems to have the issue figured out but it would be nice if Facer would actually respond to the problem and maybe if at all possible they implement weather with a different API to a different weather system that works by the city you are in and not the state you are in. I have no idea if that is an option but we can see if maybe Facer will respond with something?

Iā€™m still going to design a weather watch over on the Galaxy Watch Designer and compare the weather on both just to see if they are both equally off or if they are closer with the weather.

Great discussion.

All things considered, is it too much to ask that the face will reflect the weather info from the WATCH APP !! Never mind the accuracy of that app for now. Just show on the face what is already available in the watch.

And, if something really bugs me it is the fact that the Facer Team donā€™t seem to do anything about it. A community the size of Facer deserves much better support, definitely where a basic function that is mandatory for lifestyle performance (which is what the Galaxy Watch is all about really) is malfunctioning.

I agree. If they could just give us the weather from the watch app I think that would pretty much solve the problem! Yes, Facer does not seem too responsive to anything. It would be nice to have a little more support out of them.

I fully agree that Facer should be more responsive.
I understand that it is not practical to read each and every post on this forum, but taging @Facer_Official should help them in this regard.
However at present you are lucky if they reply to a formal support request at
https://help.facer.io/hc/en-us/requests
so I will be pleasantly surprised if they respond hereā€¦

Yes it would solve one problem, but possibly create 100 more problems. Facer would have to accommodate Samsung and whoever each WearOS watch manufacturer decides to get their weather from AND any future changes if a manufacturer decides to change weather providers for their next best watch. I could easily see that becoming a proverbial open can of worms.

You may be right but I donā€™t think it is that much of an issue (most weather apps use same data format) and anyway they donā€™t solve the issues with their own weather info so whatā€™s left to do? I can probably live with scrolling to the weather widget on the watch but personally, the fact that Facer are totally indifferent to the fact that a major function doesnā€™t work properly and choose to do nothing about it for years is probably worse than a ā€œcan of wormsā€.

Just an update.

Got an email from Facer asking what issues do I have with the weather on the watchā€¦

Gave a short description and suggested that he visits the relevant threads in the Community

Will keep you posted

1 Like

It will be interesting to see if and when they respond!

Hello.

I am new to both this forum and owning a Samsung Galaxy watch. I too have problems with weather data not showing on Facer watchfaces. I like Facer watchfaces very much, theyā€™re the best. If only weather info would be displayed (correctly.)

As a work around I found out that rebooting the watch seems to tackle the problem, but thatā€™s not really a solution is it?

P.S. Everything else on both the watch and the phone works like a charm. There are no connection/bluetooth/or other issues, apart from what Iā€™ve written above.

1 Like

Welcome @petervroegop!

Tizen and Samsung watches normally have the fewest problems so hopefully the Facer guys will be able to sort it out.

Thx Mike.

Letā€™s hope it will. A search on this forum showed me that this ā€˜problemā€™ is not new. I will wait patiently for a better solution than rebooting the watch (almost) every time I want a bug free Facer watchface.

DISCLAIMER: Iā€™ve picked up this information from several different Facer Community posts, so this is just my overview of the issue.

Facer uses OpenWeather (https://openweathermap.org) for their weather source. OpenWeather does not use your ā€œexactā€ location (no matter what your watch says) and just gives the region wide weather which can be different from where you are now.

You have to make sure your phone is not set to use power management (Adaptive Battery) where it closes ā€œunusedā€ background apps, or at least exempt the Facer app from it.

Next Iā€™ve found that my weather updates more regularly if I open the Facer app 3 or 4 times during the day. There have been lots of times where Iā€™ve looked at my watch and thought that the temperature was wrong, opened the Facer app, closed it and checked my watch and it be close to correct.

NOTE: Iā€™m using a Galaxy S3 Frontier and an Active 2 watch for my daily carry. I also have a cheap TicWatch E that I use only for testing and it seems to have the same issue and cure.

These are my personal observations and are of course subjective: Your Mileage May Vary!

1 Like