Weather not working at all

Hi. I have a watch face, just to play about with a simple design: Bodestone - Simple 01 - watch face for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more - Facer

In the designer the temp text and weather icons show samples but on the watch and phone app preview the weather icon is missing and the temp just shows C.

I have a Fossil Gen 6.
I have GPS disabled on the watch but it is bluetooth paired with my phone and the Facer app has location permission.
Weather tiles and other stock watchfaces access the wearther correctly as well as my location.

Any help would be great as I have just started today.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hey @rob.fisk . Welcome to the Community. The Weather and your Location is a tricky one. Some times mine takes Half an Hour to connect. Some times when I go somewhere else it takes a while to sort itself out. It is all down to the various connections. The Weather Data for your Stock watches comes from a different source from Facer. I would put your GPS on as a test. Stick with it and let us know how you get on.

Nice minimal Face By The Way.

DISCLAIMER: I’ve picked up this information from several different Facer Community posts, so this is just my overview of the issue.

First make sure you have all the permissions for Facer granted on both the watch and phone. You must have location turned on in both or the Facer watch app will not have any weather information.

Facer uses OpenWeather (https://openweathermap.org) for their weather source. OpenWeather does not use your “exact” location (no matter what your watch says) and just gives the region wide weather which can be different from where you are now.

You have to make sure your phone is not set to use power management (Adaptive Battery) where it closes “unused” background apps, or at least exempt the Facer app from it.

Next I’ve found that my weather updates more regularly if I open the Facer app 3 or 4 times during the day. There have been lots of times where I’ve looked at my watch and thought that the temperature was wrong, opened the Facer app, closed it and checked my watch and it be close to correct.

NOTE: I’m using an original Galaxy Watch, a Galaxy S3 Frontier and a Fossil Carlyle watch for my daily carry. They all seem to have the same issue and cure.

These are my personal observations and are of course subjective: Your Mileage May Vary!

If all else fails contact @Facer_Official at: https://help.facer.io/hc/en-us/requests/new or email them at: facer-support@little-labs.com

1 Like

Thanks.

All permissions are set as far as I can see and it’s now been overnight with no change. Battery optimisation is off for Facer on the phone.

I had seen some of the other possts on weather icons not updating but they were all from several years ago and none where they did not show at all.

1 Like

I synced your face on my Fossil Carlyle (gen 5) and the weather works perfect. So it has to be in the settings of your watch or possibly Fossil’s adaptation of Google’s WearOS. I am running Facer phone app version 5.1.71_105971, Companion App version 5.1.71_105972 and WearOS 2.52.0.394110842. You might want to check to make sure all your apps are currently up to date. Other than that I would contact @Facer_Official about it.

1 Like

@mrantisocialguy Well done for getting all the names for everything . I can never remember.
This has become a good strong Topic on the subject . Needs a Bookmark Thanks on behalf of those struggling.

Sorry @rob.fisk this is still a problem for you. I am sure it is a permissions thing. I think the Power Management is very important. At one stage my Watch disconnected every time I used the camera on my Phone . Switching on all the permissions sorted that.

The watch is a Gen 6 and the phone a Galaxy Note 10+
Battery optimisation is disabled on the Facer phone app and both phone and watch have location permissions.

The only version number difference is Wear OS which states it is up to date but is 2.47.0.368725830

1 Like

Ah. As I mentioned in the first post Location was not enabled on the watch but was on the phone.

Facer needs the GPS to be nabled natively on the watch. It cannot pull the location from the phone.
I was hoping to avoid the additional drain.

Might make that a suggestion for improvement.

2 Likes

@rob.fisk So sorry I can do nothing but make General Suggestions. I am on Tizen Watch. and a Huawei Phone. If my watch gets Stuck I load a Samsung Face then go Back to Facer. :thinking::slightly_smiling_face:

@russellcresser Thanks. No need to appologise, I will make a suggestion that faces be able to get GPS data from the phone on Wear OS and maybe it is alread in 3. That’s as soon as I figure out if I need a completely different login to help.facer.io or not to make beta suggestions.

Now I know the face works on my watch when watch GPS is enabled and I have had conformation it has worked for others I have officially published 2 versions:

Looks good. If I used analog faces I would consider them, but I’m a diehard digital guy. Which is odd because I enjoy making analog faces, but I digress. Here’s an added tip since you are pretty new here. To post a watch face link you just need to put in the URL (address) on a line all by itself. You don’t want to include the question mark or any of the “watch model” info in that link. Here’s an example of how it would look in line. (I’ve added spaces so the community page wont make it a link)

https: //www .facer .io/ watchface /NVCa9kJB7j

If you remove the spaces and just put the link it will show up just like this:

1 Like

Ah, OK, I posted a link to my collection as there were only 2. I have just added a digital one and any design aesthetic suggestions are welcome. I intend to play about with the fonts a little and wish there was a way to include leading zeroes to the hours in basic mode… These are just supposed to be very simple, easy to read faces:

I am replacing beta. with www. in the links provided so people without an account or beta subscription open them without issue as beta people already know of the switching between hassle. Is this also wrong?

1 Like

OK, I have left the beta because it means other people get this annoying poopup is clouding communications and there are no beta features anywhere just now.

When will platform designers realise that leading zeros are necessary for symmatry and international ewcognition.

2 Likes

I do it on most of my digital faces. You can see how I do that on this face which has inspection open. (Rocket Ship Icon on main face page)

MAG 1548

Just click the link to go to the page then look for the rocket ship. I have labeled the digital time elements fla for flashing colon, col for colon, 1m, 10m for the minutes and 1h and 10h for the hours. I also dim the leading zero in 12 hour mode because so many people don’t like the full leading zero. They seem to accept it in 12 hour mode if it’s not very noticeable. BTW while you inspect it if you find any coding that might be useful to you go ahead and make a copy of it. That’s the reason I leave inspection open so others can learn.

1 Like

One, I have no idea of how to like your face wirhoutt addint to favourites, also you are taklking Pro creator stuff that I am no prepared to go to until I see a fukk video of the difference that can be made.

Kove your taje an the simple difital by the way.I guess taking coloours away on the AOD is also a premium optionl.

Also have the steel band for my watch. Nothing less will suffuce, Resin bands split in 6 months with me. 12 was the reccord with a cassio divers watch. Always split at the strap pin insert point in the holes.

If you have done tthis on basic I would love to know how.

1 Like

You just add an extra layer and show the colored one in active and the white one in dim. You can do A LOT without Pro.

1 Like

I use leading Zero on 24 hr and not on 12 hr. But some times I want a zero on 12 hr as you say for Symetry. If you are still looking for that I can send a sample from the laptop later. Inspect that MAG watch it is a brilliant example.

As far as I know you only get the Beta login popup if it is you signed up as a tester.

I figured out that I had to unlock the elements I wanted to inspect.

It is quite annoying that not all proprtyies are available to all elements. For instanct text can have one colour on the active screeen and a different one on dim but other elements can’t, requiring 2 of them.
Also that there is no opacity for the stock icons such a weather, battery etc.

re[quote=“mrantisocialguy, post:14, topic:68409, full:true”]
I do it on most of my digital faces. You can see how I do that on this face which has inspection open. (Rocket Ship Icon on main face page)

MAG 1548

Just click the link to go to the page then look for the rocket ship. I have labeled the digital time elements fla for flashing colon, col for colon, 1m, 10m for the minutes and 1h and 10h for the hours. I also dim the leading zero in 12 hour mode because so many people don’t like the full leading zero. They seem to accept it in 12 hour mode if it’s not very noticeable. BTW while you inspect it if you find any coding that might be useful to you go ahead and make a copy of it. That’s the reason I leave inspection open so others can learn.
[/quote]

Yes on the weather and some others there is no opacity. You have to move them off screen instead. On some as you mentioned to have two colors on pictures you have to have two separate ones. One for active and one for dim. When I do the icons for battery level if I use any color other than white then I have to have 3. One for active, one for dim and a third one in red for low battery. After a while you get used to it, you quit thinking about it and just do it.

1 Like

Thanks for all your help. Based on that I was able to follow the tutorials and other forum posts with better search keywords.
I now have a 3 colour round the edge battery arc:

2 Likes