What program is everyone using to design the watch-faces

Just curious to hear what others might be using to design their watch-faces. I’m using Photoshop and Fireworks with dimensions set to 1350 x 1350 with a 360dpi.

Is anyone using a 3D Modeling program to build and render the watch-face? If so, what program? I was wondering cause I’ve seen quite a few in the Watchmaker series with a ton of depth.

Trey

Usually a blender is used. Some use an Autocad. But that’s only if you also play guitar, otherwise it makes no sense.

As for the resolution, many people start from 320x320 to 2000x2000. They say there are people who use a higher resolution, but these are not confirmed rumours. This is the first time I have heard about 360dpi. Are you sure about this? Most people stop at 72dpi. Extremals make watch faces with 96dpi and above.

1 Like

Paint. net for me set at 640x640.

1 Like

Im using gimp, and res no higher that 640x640. Facer scales down everything to half the size to max 320x320 anyway. Also found a good online tool amCharts for making custom tick marks and gauges.

1 Like

I use Chief Architect to build 3d objects and photoshop. 300dpi, I mostly stick to round faces

Welcome to Facer Community. Do you have an example of a watch face design that you used those applications on?

I use Photoshop. Illustrator on one occasion too. At the moment I’m working in 2000x2000px at 96dpi (The dpi shouldn’t really matter in the end, as it is medium specific). But I scale everything down to 640x640 before I add it to Creator (the scaling in Photoshop is a lot better than what Facer does)

1 Like

Interesting to see what people are using. I’ve been looking for good tutorial(s) on using 3rd party design apps to build watche faces. Facer creator is limited and others like Pujie Black and Watch Maker are proprietary. Any one know of any such tutorials?

I just google whatever part I need a tutorial for, like “chrome effect in photoshop”, or “type around a circle in illustrator”, etc

I use Figma mostly, but sometimes a create an effect or texture in Affinity Designer, and more rarely AutoDesk Fusion 360 (but I haven’t published any of the latter). As Figma is vector based and can scale up and down accordingly, I’ve noticed that importing a large image to Facer results in a worse quality image in Facer Creator, so I stick to 640x640.

Tutorials are rare, mostly because everything you need to do has been done in another genre

I like how this guy does it. Time lapse is not real tutorial, but maybe it can inspire you.

1 Like