What time is it, really?

This is by far, the strangest timepiece I have come across. It does not quite exactly tell you the time: instead it tells you either 1) how many minutes have past the hour, or b) how many minutes are left to the hour. Before reaching 30 minutes past the hour, the “jump-hour” disk indicates the current hour, and the time is read as “minutes past” the hour. At and after 30 minutes past the hour, it indicates the next hour, and the time is read as “minutes to” the hour. Strange, but I just had to do it.

I haven’t done a deeply exhaustive search, but to the best of my knowledge, this strange timepiece was never built. I have not been able to find an actual product-- I have only found the US Patent Office filing by Archibald Bannatyne on June 26, 1888. I was compelled to create this face out of curiosity and from the challenge of seeing the concept work. I added the seconds sub-dial just to see if the contraption is alive and ticking.

Aside from being an odd novelty, I don’t see how this could ever be a successful product.

16 Likes

Some people like quirky things like that my friend, very well put together, that’s an excellent job you did there :clap:

3 Likes

Brilliant. Beautiful crafting. I love the Patent drawing as well.

4 Likes

I like it! It was probably designed for people trying to understand how the English say the time. I spent the first thirty something years of my life growing up in England, and have been in Canada for 22 years. I still struggle with not saying “twenty to…” and “quarter to…”, because other than all the English people who live here, no one says it, and I get some weird looks.

In view of the heritage here in Newfoundland (most have roots in the UK, even if you do have to go back a few generations to find them), and it was a British colony until it joined Canada in 1949, it’s a surprise that its not more acceptable. Along with the word aluminium, which always gets a titter.

5 Likes

That is strange. I grew up in northern Indiana near the Chicago area and that is exactly how we discussed time. Ten till “hour”, a quarter after “hour” etc.

4 Likes

It was this technical drawing that gave me the idea for making my blueprint face design. But every time I see the patent drawing, it makes me think of the classic Honeywell thermostat.

This is definitely the strangest timepiece I’ve come across. The second strangest one (which I also felt compelled to recreate for its intricate scale, although it is totally useless) is a torpedo timing stopwatch made by Seikosha for the Imperial Japanese Navy during WW2. It measures 7 1/2 cycles of 15 seconds each. Very useful for everyday torpedo launching. :thinking: :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Cool, nice job!

2 Likes

This is a really neat watch face @kourosh, well done. I quite like the way it tells time, it’s actually quite intuitive. :+1::+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

All thanks to the imagination of the late Archibald Bannatyne of Rutherglen Scotland.
(later settled in Connecticut US)

2 Likes

For me as a vintage fan, such faces are always great.
And the digital minute display inspires me.
I have no idea how this code works.

btw: i would add the original stopwatch to my watch collection immediately.

2 Likes

You’re in luck! I found it on eBay, and the listing is still active… for a mere $1500 :hushed:

2 Likes

That’s a little bit beyond my idea of price :rofl:

2 Likes

But with PayPal credit it’s ONLY $65 per month for 24 months… :laughing: :joy: :rofl:

3 Likes

And for all that money, it doesn’t slice it doesn’t dice and it doesn’t make julienne fries…

The wood box alone looks like an expensive collectible item… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

That is so cool. It is nice to see that you looked into Patents for ideas. Been a long time since I did that. I did find another one that is equally different. Pocket Watch Patents Archive | Pocket Watch Database

5 Likes

Wow, the clock portion is tiny in this one… it’s more like a calendar with a clock complication! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

So… minutes ago I received a strange email, about a new comment on my watchface, which doesn’t seem to make sense since I have nothing published. Can’t tell who it’s from, can’t tell what alleged face it’s about. The “Reply to this review” link takes me to my main Creator page listing all my faces. Looking through the list of my faces, none show as having a comment. Did I step into the Twilight Zone?

1 Like

@kourosh. I think the problem is you can actually comment on an Unpublished Draft you have shown on here or elsewhere. I have had that before from someone. Sadly it comes up in your notifications but you can not reply. I will show you a test if you like.
I am certain that is what it is. Nothing Sinister.
I am not surprised people are begging you to Publish these things you keep showing us. You are a Tease :::)))

3 Likes

It is comment under the face you started this thread with.
In PC browser page of your draft face you should have the reply link on the right side of the comment line.

3 Likes

:hushed: I would have never guessed to look there… the email gave no clue as to which face and there is no Community notification. Thanks!

2 Likes