Who else is infuriated by rectangles

The other shapes, and most other objects, are XY positioned and rotated about their center but rectangles are positioned and rotated around the initial top left corner.

I do understand that this is so that when width and height are controlled by expressions the rectangle only shinks/grows from one edge. I just keep getting caught out when flipping progress bars or forgetting and assuming the XY will match the sticker you are trying to align to. Purely my bad really as that is the way it has to be. I’m more annoyed at myself each time but there it is.

1 Like

YEAH . You could make some nice stock squares and having them as an image align them to which is best.

3 Likes

1 Like

Do you mean like this? Pictures are between the lines in white.

=================

=================
White rectangle at 50% size.

=================

=================
White Rectangle Round Corners at 50%

You will need to open them and save from there to ensure you have the full sized pic.

3 Likes

I have got those . See you later. Thanks so much . I note that the rectangle is the only Shape that has 0,0 top left . I find the edges of Facer shapes a bit crisp if the other stuff is Aliased a bit . I was trying to make a really thin hand and it had to be quite fuzzy to stop it aliasing at 12 and 3 . Thanks for those MAG . The one with rounded corners reminds me of Story Boards. Something round that might be fun .

1 Like

The trouble with that though is that you can’t use it as a battery bar as (#BLN/100*width) would shrink it from both ends, not just one. The hassle of then having to work out the expression for the correct corresponding x pos would negate the slight hassle of re-aligning after rotation if you mess it up, or the fiddling to align different XY with a sticker surround.

1 Like

From what I can tell (#BLN/100*width) doesn’t function as a battery bar, unless I’m missing something obvious. This shows what I ended up with having a rectangle 200 in width with the battery set at 100%.

1 Like

Maybe you are just missing one hash # behind the tag

1 Like

try ((#BLN#/100)*200)
So #BLN#/100 gives 0 to 1
I would put brackets on everything.
So
(((#BLN#)/100)*320)

Oh Yeah . DUUUH.

Don’t need the extra brackets, just my bad in missing the second hash. I use it all the time with both width and height. Though with height you have to rotate the rectangle 180 or it drains upward instead of down.

In the same way, when I duplicated the watch levels on the pokeball to the right for phone battery they both drained right to left so I had to rotate the phone ones 180 which threw them out of alignment and I had to go about the fiddly business of realigning to ensure they both drained center to edge. Basically like reverse fill on opposed battery arcs.
Quick tip,: When you have 3 stacked colours for the bars, chock the battery to 100 and start with the bottom layer first so you can see each alignment as it goes. Probably teaching granny to suck eggs there but…

Another I have used recently is (floor(#BLN#/10)/10*54)
Increments only on intervals of 10. I used this with an LCD mask to give one LCD bar per 10%
Battery_Mask

2 Likes

I didn’t notice that. I just copied and pasted what @rob.fisk posted. Oopsie! :laughing:

3 Likes

Triangles bug me the most. It is only an equalateral triangle that can be used and you can’t adjust any of the sides…

2 Likes

Triangles work like all of the other shapes except rectangles as far as I can tell. It is positioned and expands around its central point so cannot be anything other than equalateral.

This can be countered by the use of an equalateral triangle gif as a sticker or image

3 Likes

Sorry to chip in again .
It is a good idea to put the extra () in there is no tax on them.
(#BLN#/100*200) Gives an error.

i like (floor(#BLN#/10)/10*54) that is in the bits box .

1 Like

A Rectangle can be used as a Battery Bar, you just need to insert the Tag into the Height Box (or the Width if you want it horizontal I suppose).
((#BLN#/100)*200)
I just threw it together quickly here (ignore the Wolf lol) -

1 Like

(floor(#BLN#/10)/10*70) - I made it bigger and removed the watch/phone icons - is the LCD idea I came up with in my sleep along with the rotation angles for the hybrid dials. Works well with the LCD Mask above.

(#BLN#/100*96) is the expression for the pokeball watch battery and in a previous conversation you were all up for removing any unnecessary brackets for readability and maintainability. It only errors at 0 I think. If Battery on either device is zero then there is a bigger issue anyway.

2 Likes

Please forgive me when I tried it in the test above I got an error . Must have mistyped something. I find the extra () helps me to sort stuff out : )

1 Like

Even your tests have a bonus Animation In them : )

1 Like

:joy::joy: That was originally just the Wolf, I shared it as a suggestion for someone, and I never delete these kind of things so others can see and learn from it. I just added the Rectangle Battery Element to it to save having yet another Draft in my collection :joy: Hope you’re all keeping well? Been too busy to get here on the laptop lately.

1 Like