[NEW DESIGNS] Vulcan Storm Series

Looking for feedback on a new set of watch faces. Iā€™ve gone for a more realistic vibe this time (only the third one has animations and they are fairly subtle). Any comments would be greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very clean! like them a lot!

1 Like

Thanks! Thatā€™s what I was going for :slight_smile:

Beautiful, colorful, yet clean. I like them!

1 Like

Thanks! Enjoy :slight_smile:

@roycaruso,
Definitely like first and third. good backing, good lighting / shadows. I like the slow undulating oscillation between the orange-to-red tick marks.

John

1 Like

Thanks! Really appreciate it. Sounds like it was worth the effort!

I believe it was worth the effort, they look great! I look forward to your next release.
~Orakix

1 Like

Thanks so much - Stay tuned! :slight_smile:

@roycaruso,
I really like the Firestorm a lot. You asked for some comments so I was hoping to expand your thinking to the next level. Take a closer look at your design. The design elements are awesome, the layout just needs a little tuning. You probably know most of this stuff already but Iā€™ll just list some things that come to mind.

1. Your starting background has to be perfectly round and straight up 0-degrees at 12:00. If not, squeeze it, stretch it, and rotate it to make it so - even if the rotation is only 0.3 degrees. Should by exactly the same pixels width and height. 12:00 and 6:00 ticks (or numbers) dead-plumb on the vertical centerline. 3:00 and 9:00 ticks (or numbers) dead-level on the horizontal centerline. Once the background is completely perfect in dimension and level, then all other layout can be highly accurate from the center crosshairs.

2. Even dimensions: Donā€™t draw a line thatā€™s 5 pixels wide. Make it either 4 pixels or 6 pixels. Donā€™t make a circle thatā€™s 25 pixels in diameter. Make it 24 or 26. This will contribute greatly to symmetry. The Creator is going to compress all of your graphics to 320 x 320. If everything is even and symmetrical at the larger size, the scale-down will come out much neater - especially if you have tiny quarter-second ticks on a highly detailed chronograph (like the Firestorm).

3. Circle layout: Hour numbers are 30-degrees apart: 0, 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, 180 etc. That means your four-line ticks should be centered exactly in-between at 15-degrees, 45-degrees, 75, 105, 135, 165, etc.

4. Radial layout: Numbers are hard to get exactly the same distance from the center point. Draw yourself a circle as a guide from the center point. After the numbers are all at the right degrees, move them radially and place them on your circle guide. Then throw away the circle. I also make a star of straight lines at each hour-degree to ensure the numbers are the right degrees and the right distance from center.

I hope these help. If you need help or clarity on any of these measures or techniques just ask.
John

ā€¦aaaand I spelled ā€œlittleā€ wrong lol

5 Likes

Hi John/ @jmorga106 ,
Thank you so much for the comments - Iā€™ll definitely make those edits to bring the watches to that ā€˜next levelā€™. Really appreciate it :slight_smile: I wish Facer Creator had a ā€˜Zoomā€™ feature to make the fine edits easierā€¦Admittedly, you canā€™t really identify minor imperfections on the actual watch face anyway, but it would be handy when making more realistic faces :slight_smile:

Wow! What a great comment from @jmorga106! I feel bad right now too, thinking of some ā€œapproximationsā€ I do in some of my watch faces. This is a wake up call also for meā€¦ THANK YOU John

(@roycaruso letā€™s make the things better :+1:)

1 Like

For sure, thatā€™s how we all progress and develop :slight_smile: My first face got very few syncs - This face just hit 2,500 syncs in only 3 or 4 days. That is progress, largely attributable to hard work and great community here at Facer :slight_smile: thanks @Tomas and @jmorga106 !!

2,500 syncs in 4 days (!) :open_mouth:

1 Like

Woohoo to 2500! :+1:

1 Like

@Tomas @jmorga106 Indeed! Thanks :slight_smile: Iā€™ve really been pushing to become a premium designer, so itā€™s definitely encouraging :slight_smile:

Hi all, check out my latest series here (Iā€™ve tried to take on the great advice presented in this thread):

@Tomas @jmorga106 @syntaxracing @linlay @Facer_Official @jdim1093

[quote=ā€œroycaruso, post:16, topic:20720ā€]
Iā€™ve really been pushing to become a premium designer
[/quote] I do not understand why members are having trouble with that. The requirements are posted. Once met, there shouldnā€™t be a problem. Maybe there are so many applications that Staff cannot get through all of them?

Well for me, I just havenā€™t met the requirements yet. Although I still am a fairly new designer and donā€™t have a large collection yet. Iā€™m gaining traction with each line of faces I release but I do take awhile in between them. I view my faces as art and donā€™t publish them until I feel they are finished. I publish them in hopes that the world loves my artwork as much as I do. My style, method, knowledge, and skills are constantly evolving and with as much love and dedication that I put into them, making sure they are clean and every pixel is in its place, I know itā€™s only a matter of time.

Possibly. Weā€™ll see how we go :slight_smile: