A new Orakix Design Challenge

Hello again everyone, it’s time for another design challenge. I’ve been so impressed with what everyone has done with my shapes but this time im going to throw a curve ball. Instead of providing the actual image I’m going to just describe it. I want you to design a face using an “X.” You can incorperate it into you design however you want but id prefer if it was the focal point. Designing a watch face like this can be challenging, believe me I know, but i have faith in you all! Good luck!

@kourosh @icrltd4 @alsx65 @petruuccios @russellcresser @tom.itssos @bradtc @mrantisocialguy @rob.fisk

3 Likes

If previously made faces count, this one started with a “X” in the center to divide the quadrants up for the face. You can still see the ends of the X along the outside edge.

7 Likes

Been there, done that :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Heres a colorful try. 12/24H automatic leading zero hide and center. user selectable units for miles/ Km. AOD mode with hollow hands and time after sunset. Hi, Low, and current temp

6 Likes

Thanks is due to @mrantisocialguy for the lesson with go_blocky fonts for the inspiration to do this.

2 Likes

These are very well done, great job! However, I would challenge you further and to actually connect the X in the center. These designs do have a portion of the X but the part that actually makes it an X is cut out. @ThaMattie did have his X I will give him that one. @mrantisocialguy I really dig it and it makes me want to play Simon Says. @jlcash61 way to go on coding that orbit. That is great! I cant even remember how to do that!

3 Likes

So here is the offering from the A&R Team .

10 Likes

Very cool @russellcresser , I like it!

3 Likes

Thanks to @alsx65 Alberto For the Style .

2 Likes

I started to do a treasure map with an X on the treasure, and the path to the treasure turns on as you increase your steps. I don’t know how this totally unrelated result came out of that??? Weird… Any way, here’s a draft, not sure if it has too much animation. Still figuring that out before I publish.

Edit:Unpublished again.

6 Likes

Ok,

You all be easy on me, I have never made a ‘pseudo skeleton’ before HaHa! I know it needs lots of fixin’ up. There is so much to realistic watchs, wow. I know it is not a realistic skeleton, but I guess you have to start somewhere… Escapement, and gears, and springs, OH MY! You all please tell me how to do this better it is most definitely a WIP

Thanks guys, its because of you all that I enjoy keeping on doing this.
$

5 Likes

@russellcresser Nice looking Hybrid you got there! My cover was going to have a curve to it, but I got lazy. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Brad Stamp on that . :trophy:

2 Likes

@jlcash61 . What you you have there is Lovely . I love the gear mesh . Most do not bother . I love the non contact Teeth . I think it is a very nice thing to have such detail Graphic . The next step is a Minimum of 1000 hours spent learning to render 3D stuff properly . I have some tourbillon stuff . I will PM you . I do not want to get a reputation for doing this sort of thing . if you look at the community stuff on your Creator you will see they are all inspectable . You might find some stuff there . Bodestone did a nice flying tourbillon . Love you Plasma motor that needs a tick as well one of those soft ones . Like a Stepper motor Cogging.
Dump that second hand I hate it .

2 Likes

@russellcresser . Thank you for the info. Feedback is very important to the learning of finite detail. The meshing of the gears was a bit tedious, but as with anything after doing it a bit you get a system. The graphics are surely my weakest spot. When I write control applications for work the UI an UX are no where near as demanding, even with the simple 3d shadowing tricks i know well dont seem to be as pleasing on watch face. I have been downloading and learning about a whole heard of plugins for PDN. Sorry to ramble on, Thanks Again :sunglasses:
$

3 Likes

I did this one a few months ago. I called it X Material Design. I’ll think on this X theme and maybe do a fresh one.

3 Likes

Here is my X Metal Hybrid.

4 Likes

It’s subtle, but its there… as per the description, tilt for fun, and hope it works on your watch. :laughing:

2 Likes

Besides lots of other things coming out of my ears for the past few days, I’ve been struggling with this! The one thing that keeps coming to mind, which I don’t want to use, is X-Men and the wheels of Dr Xavier’s wheelchair!!!

3 Likes

Nice one Rich. Reminds me of the Vacuum Forming I did in the Old Days.

3 Likes