Are there any Apple watch users in the Facer Community?

@Facer_Official or anyone else in the know!

I have been getting questions about how to switch back and forth between Metric and Imperial measurement scales. I’ve tried to explain where things are in Android, but it seems that the Apple watch and Apple phone apps are different than their Android cousins. I have not owned anything Apple since the iPod Touch 4th gen so I’m at a loss on how to help them. Could someone who knows how tell me so I can pass that knowledge on to the new Apple Facer users? Thank You in advance!

1 Like

Surely you must have already seen a photo of my Apple Watch GS by now? :thinking: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I can’t say I have, probably missed it somehow. Do you run Facer on it?

1 Like

Sorry… it was a cruel joke… see my post here complete with a photo of my Apple Watch GS:
https://community.facer.io/t/my-dinosaur-watch/44575/6?u=kourosh

1 Like

OK! I’ve seen the picture; I just didn’t connect it to the term Apple GS. Now I’m puzzled to how you connected the GS part. I’ve never been much of a watch person in my past. What got me really started was the old Timex Illusion watch of the 1980’s. So where did you get the term GS from?

2 Likes

Granny Smith :green_apple: :grin:

4 Likes

I Gotcha! :laughing:

3 Likes

My Word. Someone on here must have an Apple Watch. From what I have read.
Temperature Celcius to Farenhiet is set in the Weather App on the IPhone.
Distance Miles to Kilometers is set in the Health Monitor App in the IPhone.
The Beta Tester I am in touch with is terribly busy with a small child. I will ask the question but we should not hold our breath.

I finally remembered @alwaysbusy4family uses an Apple watch. So, I messaged her and ask about the settings for Facer. She confirmed that there are no settings in the Facer apps for that and it must be changed inside the Apple watch settings area.

She said to: go to Settings> scroll down to Workout, in Workout> scroll down to Units of Measurement> In Units of Measurement you can change whatever you need, feet, meters, pounds, kilos etc.

Hopefully Facer will display according to the settings in the Apple watch. She also gave me a link to a YouTube video which shows the exact process of changing those settings: Apple Watch 7: How to Change Unit of Measurement to Calories/Kilojoules/Kilocalories - YouTube

And also like @russellcresser said the Celcius/Farenhiet setting is probably in the weather settings area or lost somewhere in the main Apple watch settings area.

A big shout out to @alwaysbusy4family in her help on answering this question!!!

4 Likes

For weather settings, on the IPhone go to:

Settings/General/Language & Region and select temperature unit F or C.

I just tried it and changing it on the phone changes the value of the Facer weather units tag #WM# as expected on one of my faces. It does take a while though for the complication to be updated by the watch.

4 Likes

Amazing. Someone @alwaysbusy4family who is not actually a " Designer " and has a " Strange " watch makes a welcome contribution to this community. That is the Spirit.

1 Like

I am a nerd. I have to look up stuff for my Linux/Windows box all the time.
Finding settings on the Apple stuff is usually a bit tricky because it is proprietary, I am not sure how apps are made sometimes!
But I am always happy to help when I can. :wink:

4 Likes

:blush::+1::wink::+1::grinning:

1 Like

None of the Facer weather complications show anything other than Fahrenheit on my apple watch dispite the fact that Celsius was set as my preference long before I installed Facer. I’ve even left a Facer watch face active for six hours, and it still showed Fahrenheit.

From what I’ve read, the preference needs to be supplied by the iPhone app supplying the complication (I had to set it separately in the weather app), but Facer doesn’t have such a setting.

2 Likes

Mmm, strange. I can change between the two. Having said that, I have only checked my faces. { Edit: incorrect statement removed }

2 Likes

Now I’m wondering since the #WM# tag only generates the C or F but the temperature tag #WCT# is the temperature is the temperature not switching measurement scales or is the scale tag (#WM#) the one making them think it’s not switching? Or both? I’m not making any more Apple faces for a while just because of the uncertainty for me being able to make the function correctly.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right, many apologies. I had this perfectly formed memory of having used #WM# as a test to set the temperature but your post made be go back and check and no, I don’t. It is bad when you start to forget things, it is worse when you can’t rely on the things you do remember :flushed:

2 Likes

I’m in my middle 60’s and I’ve been in the “you can’t rely on the things you remember” for a few years now. I’ve learned I need to take notes and also explanations of the notes for when I read it and don’t understand why I wrote that. Especially notes on how Facer works and how to make things happen in Facer. There’s just too much to try to remember. Albert Einstein once said the most important knowledge is the address of the public library. That is me knowing where to find my Facer notes when I need them. :grin:

3 Likes

I tried using notes but I either can’t find them again or don’t remember having written a note somewhere :rofl:

2 Likes

However, at least I have figured out where the memory came from. I do check the value of the #WM# tag to know the units of the temperature tag that I use in the temperature correction term in my barometric altimeter face. So not completely mad… yet!

3 Likes