Are there any string parsing expressions?

|I’m thinking things like substring as a most basic example.

The use case scenario leading to the question is that I wanted to set up 3 vertically aligned text elements. Something along the lines of:

M (substring(#DE#,0,1))
O (substring(#DE#,1,1))
N (substring(#DE#,2,1))

2 Likes

It would almost be faster and probably easier to just make pictures of the days and use opacity to show them on the correct day.

3 Likes

Facer will not do that. But a brilliant Idea. I wonder which Language uses that. I struggle with Basic so that looks very advanced to me.
Looking at what you have published recently you have Obviously cracked it. The only way it could be done on Facer without Drawing anything. So we’ll done and Respect for leaving the Design open for inspection.

1 Like

Every full language has a plethora of string parsing functions that all work pretty much the same way. I did find another post saying there were none in facer so I just used 3 shrt day name elements offset and 2 black masks to cover the un-needed characters:

2 Likes

Its good workaround, but unfortunately it has one flaw.
The inconsistent way the abbreviations are localized. In some languages. While in English is it 3 letters, in some other languages it is 2 in another 2 and dot, on some other 3 and dot, some have 4 letters and in some the short version equals the full one.
obrázok

3 Likes

Bum. And I can’t think of a workable solution without dozens of masks for the various languages as well as possibly even more date fields as the position could only be set with up to 3 nested conditions I believe.

I really was surprised to find not a single string function in all of the expressions.

1 Like

I think your only option now is my suggestion of 7 week day pictures with the writing vertical and use opacity expressions to show each one on the proper day. Of course that will limit the face to only English week day names, but you really don’t have any other options.

1 Like

You could also place 2, 3 or what ever text field lines, each with expression for the letter you like (just replace the right letters for your text). Something like this
$#DOW#=1?M:$$#DOW#=2?T:$$#DOW#=3?W:$$#DOW#=4?T:$$#DOW#=5?F:$$#DOW#=6?S:$$#DOW#=0?S:$
I have seen it here

1 Like

That worked an absolute treat. I wasn’t aware you could chain multiple conditionals together that way.

Cheers.

1 Like

There have been reports of it not working on some watches, but in general it does.

1 Like