Copyright Infringements Rules/Laws

Yup, just keep doing your own thing and keep your nose clean here, and hopefully, you’ll be rewarded for it …if not already.

20,000 followers? man…I think it’s harder to get followers these days.
:slightly_smiling_face: Look at you, you got like 20% of the Top 100 list right now and for that, I think you should have more followers!

3 Likes

That seems unusual. Are you sure he’s a curent Partner and not someone with a Pro subscription which gives the option for Facer to show the designs as Premium? The only other possibility would be if he purchased a license or has permission to use the images - in which case he should have mentioned that.

1 Like

You want names? LoL

1 Like

The person must be partner as there are tons of faces for sale. No mention of a license.

1 Like

Just send me a link to the profile via Private Message. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m no “big wig” but if this is what you are talking about, these are legal.

1 Like

@Linlay No, not what I was talking about. I PM’d you.

1 Like

Thank you for your note. It appears that the Partner has not been active in a few years.
The sample that you sent me is a free animation that may have come from a free .gif site. It is my understanding that if a site offers a free license (or one you have purchased) and specifies “no attribution necessary” images, the images can be used.

In my case I have used a few images that Corel or artist friends have sent me with permission to use, but I usually try to give attribution just to be safe.

3 Likes

If youre worried about people stealing your stuff, you can always submit a DCMA and Facer will deal with it.

3 Likes

I can assure you it won’t die. Actually, if you keep bumping people tend to not read pages and pages of one thread. There are many related discussions in this community. Search can handle that. The topic is often confusing to newcomers and to those who take issue with Facer’s Terms of Use.

3 Likes

@Linlay

How is it possible to use a free animation in Facer?
Secondly, so you can use copyrighted cartoon characters from a web site when that site has the license to use it, is that what you’re saying? I’m confused.

1 Like

thanks so much . I will take note on that info and as allways ur are the best…

2 Likes

If it is a free animation and you have permission to use it I see nothing wrong with using it with attribution. I always save the correspondence and/or a link to the license stating that whatever image can be used on a commercial site. In the example you showed me, it is a free watch face, so neither Facer nor the designer is earning any money from it. The question would be under what terms the designer obtained it. If he is/was a Partner most likely he followed the rules.

One caveat might be whether a site you are obtaining an image or animation from has permission to host it. I have noticed that reputable image sites always credit their artists. That way you not only have the hosting site’s TOS and license, but if in doubt you can also contact the artist.

Other image sites are just pages of images with no information about their sources. That’s where I’ve seen obviously copyrighted images.

3 Likes

@Linlay
Got it, thanks for the information.

4 Likes

So yeah… Dude on Facer Facebook page is thanking everyone for the 2500 syncs for his Batman watch with a GIANT Batman logo on it. Yeah… I’m comfused too.

1 Like

download

2 Likes

My 2 cent’s worth based on what I have learned over the years …

Facer are not the copyright/trademark police. They do not spend their limited time actively seeking out infringements.

What they do is follow the law. If a copyright/trademark owner raises a valid DCMA takedown request then they will act on it. They have also implemented an automated filter that tries to capture infringements that have been the subject of multiple takedowns in the past. Sometimes that system results in false positives and Facer will restore faces caught up by that.

As has been said multiple times, everyone, and especially people who are getting takedowns, should just stop using copyrighted material / trademarks they do not own or don’t have permission to use. Just because others seem to be getting away with it is not justification for doing it. Simple analogy - looters in a store cannot say I should be allowed to get away with it because the 100 or so before me are way down the street and they did not get caught. And yes, it is frustrating that the police did not catch them but, in this case, Facer are not the police, the owners will police their own content if they are aware and think the problem is big enough to do something about it.

6 Likes

Maybe with the hundreds of uploads daily on Facer, it is a daunting task to catch any and all copyright infringements. However, on the Facer Facebook page? Really? no one there to stop someone from bragging about how many syncs they got from their face that is clearly a copyright infringement. Am I mistaken in thinking that the Facer Facebook page has nothing to do with Facer?

It just doesn’t instill much confidence in people who play by the rules here and I would assume an Admin on the page would try to curb such things.

2 Likes

I have no special inside knowledge but I believe that the official facebook group is associated with Facer. But as I said, I don’t believe that the Facer guys actively police these things. It would be a huge task and no doubt in the USA there might be legal/liability issues to consider as well. And of course there is the cost - every minute that someone spends chasing down copyright/trademark issues is time not spend on more productive tasks.

Anyway, as I said, they have a process - owners complain → content is removed. It may not be perfect but it does eventually deal with most of the worst offenders.

3 Likes

There is a way to report Facebook posts to the Group Administrator there. I don’t go there often because I feel that many of the people in the group lack common courtesy toward others and don’t follow the rules.

3 Likes