Critiques requested: Steampunk

Working on this one, and still have a short to do list (changing out the aluminum/steel for brass mostly), but would like other opinions on it. The donor face will be obvious to some of you :slight_smile:

Does it fit the genre? Does it work for you? Too dark? Anything you’d like to see on it (yes, @russellcresser I’ll include a battery indicator somehow. :laughing: )

6 Likes

Amazing, very well crafted Rich Sir :clap:
Critique: maybe a more Gothic style of Font for the Date, and a darker central circle, the one in the very center under the rusty silver Seconds movement.

3 Likes

Whole thing is a liiiitle dark, but looks great!

4 Likes

Verry good. Defininately go ahead with the brass replacemet to make everythig more visible. Please make it highly polished.
Only downside now is the darkness. The main fault with almost all Steampunk styles seems to be end product readability.
The simplicity of this breaks that and works well, just needs contrast.

3 Likes

I really like the gears running in the background, but as noted above, it’s a bit too dark, which makes it hard to read at a quick glance. If you can lighten it up, 5 stars!

4 Likes

Well, I’d just be a little worried about the readability of the hands. Maybe it would be good to make them more contrasting. Otherwise good job.

3 Likes

Got to get a meter in there somewhere.::))

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. Made some changes - made it brighter, removed the rust from the hands to make them more legible, added a battery indicator (not sure about this yet - might move it up further). Changed the material on the gears. Changed the date font.

Wish I could change the design of the balance wheel, but I can’t find my original graphic, and it would be a ton of work to re-create from scratch so its staying as it is.

3 Likes

Yeah. I struggle to find stuff now. Should have organised more folders in the beginning. With no Inspection on I am going to gave to sync that again to check out the Battery Gauge. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Gone a bit too far the other way with the date. I will have to get some new glasses.

1 Like

Hello, I thought what new I could say, but it is generally good looking. I can only agree with others on the overall darkness/low contrast. Maybe just the glass is too dusty :slight_smile:
The big wheel below the balance I noticed only after some play with screenshot.
The battery indicator would better fit somewhere on the solid rim than on the glass.

3 Likes

I see the battery indicator now. Good screenshot. When I look at my watch that is the first thing I look for. On two charges a day at the moment. Best thing about Huawei GT2 is 5 day battery life.

I really like the Abstract look of the Gauge. I just need to see the Pin bit more and possibly a ball or dot to Denmark the Empty end.
You did ask for Feedback. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

i agree with petruccios , cleaner glass and that gauge it a bit abstract , just for fun i played on screenshot to :grin: for a gauge solution
rich

4 Likes

Come on you Guys. On the Left Please.

1 Like

I’ve made it even brighter for release 1.0. Might reduce the opacity of the glass and change the battery indicator with v.1.1.

Thanks for the tips and the new renderings.

4 Likes

Release 1.1 out, with reduced opacity in the glass and a new battery indicator. The battery indicator is still not particularly legible, but kind of nature of the beast I think with these busy watches. It’s between 8 and 10 and there are two parts to it - the arrow, and the underlying white gauge. If you can’t see it now, this watch probably isn’t for you. :laughing:

Darn it… v.1.1 is a separate face. Oh well, you get to choose the battery indicator you want now. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I personally Love an 8 to 10 Quadrant Gauge . I think its always best to design for yourself . Looks so good on the watch . This one goes in my Most Favourite collection which is filling up . Good Job Rich . Looking forward to the next . You are tempting me to go for a Flying Tourbillon . Just got to do some drawing .

2 Likes

I really love the animation. Good job. How did you get the rotation done? It looks perfect :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks. Lots of trial and error in the initial stages of working with the mechanics. @russellcresser helped me get through that. You can see all the layers and the expressions used in the watch below which uses the same mechanics. Inspection is open in that one, for you to be able to break down what’s going on.

In case you’re not familiar with inspection mode, follow this link to get to the face - rich709 - Tourbillon 22 - watch face for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more - Facer and choose the rocket on the left side to open it up in the editor. You can turn layers on and off, and see all the expressions/fields just like if you were editing your own face.

5 Likes

Good luck with the flying tourbillon. Happy to help with some graphics things if I can. I think the 3D nature of a flying tourbillon is probably too much for my abilities, but if you want some help with the non-mathematical parts of it, give me a shout.

2 Likes

Thx a lot. Will definitely check it out.

2 Likes