Enough is enough

One of the problems with the written word, is that it can be very dependant on the mindset of the reader. There’s no “tone of voice” to tell the reader if the writer is mad or joking.

An embarrassing story that taught me this lesson: I had been flamed (or so I thought), so I fired off a scorched earth reply… fortunately, a kind, quick moderator saw my error, and deleted my mistake before too many people had seen it, and messaged me pointing out the intended, benign direction of the post I had been offended by. I thanked him profusely and wiped the egg from my face. I’m now much quicker to give people the benefit of the doubt.

3 Likes

@mattyvonstudly

In this particular case, there was no doubt needed, it was obvious.

With the help of a friend many of us have figured out how to ignore said user so we are trying to move past the subject and on to better things.

Thank you for your time though

4 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 20 hours.

So, here’s my suggestion for rule 2: If it’s NOT kind, DON’T hit send.

Exactly. Unfortunately for many, the internet doesn’t really have a delete key.

2 Likes

I am so sorry that this crazy person won’t let up.

One would think that deleting the face that she didn’t like would have pacified her. Some people simply have too much rage to let things go.

I am also sorry I have been gone for a bit… lots of medical issues here. But I do hope you will come back soon!

4 Likes

The FACT that Facer considers this appropriate behavior tells me that Facer doesn’t care one bit about their users, which includes kids as well as adults. Perhaps if a few major watch makers left and hit Facer in the wallet they would join civilized society and block people like that. I have some strong media contacts that I think I’ll clue in on what Facer considers appropriate behavior on their site. Even Facebook would have suspended that account. Facebook also gives you the ability to actually block people. Pretty darn bad that Facebook has higher moral standards then Facer! @Facer_Official - anything to say for yourselves? My guess is you’ll take action against me for calling you out!

2 Likes

I hope your medical issues aren’t too serious my friend, and I wish you and your loved ones well. It’s good to see you back though :+1:

4 Likes

If people want to not see posts from particular users then this link might help.

1 Like

This thread is old is an old one that has unfortunately been automatically re-opened. I believe that most people just want to move on from this old argument.

Could we please do that do you think?

Can we, just let it go and stop posting comments on old unpleasant threads - especially comments that have the potential to provoke further negative reaction from people?

3 Likes

Unlike Facer, Facebook has a LOT of money, and as such can dedicate much human and technology resources to that end!

Besides, Facebook is also VERY trigger-happy: they had the nerve to suspend me 3 days for privately sharing a public post from a public fan page. They never bothered to touch that page’s original public posting. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Adding blocking to a forum is LITERALLY a matter of ticking a box - it requires about 1/5 of a second of human and machine time - if Facer can’t afford THAT, they have much bigger problems to deal with.

No, we CAN’T do that! It’s easy for you to say just forget about it when it’s not YOUR reputation being tarnished, now isn’t it? I’m 100% certain that if you were the target of this sociopath you would have a 180° change of heart.

My CHILD uses Facer, they don’t need to be seeing this BS when looking for a watch face. Maybe YOU think it’s OK, but as a dad, I refuse to surrender to sociopaths.

It’s not that simple.

That 1/5 second to tick a box requires human(s) available and sitting there all day long reading page after page of posts within page after page of threads, or it requires machine intelligence that is capable enough to understand what needs to be blocked. Either way, it’s just not that simple, human or machine or otherwise. And as we all know, time is money, and capable machines are also money.

1 Like

My job is machine language. I have a PhD in it. Blocking users does not require human action over each post. FREE forum software such as Simple Machines offers blocking, and I promise you there is not an army of people doing the blocking, and people run it on single board computers. Blocking does not require machines to read each post. Blocking is simply a matter of permissions based upon some type of UID. Blocking is no different than when a forum does not allow you to post if you are not signed in.

Okay, so free software is available that can do it, that I didn’t know of. But still, it’s not as simple as just “saying” what it takes to do it. There’s also the fact that it doesn’t appear to be happening on here. Why? I suspect 1 of 3 reasons:

1. They chose human intervention, but they lack the manpower.
  2. They choose machine intervention, but the option is not installed or not enabled.
  3. They are currently not concerned.

I lean towards a variation of #1.

They use Discourse forum software. One of the features Discourse touts on their features list is “Community moderation: Let the community suppress spam and dangerous content, and amicably resolve disputes” — so in this scenario, it appears that manpower would be needed.