Finished [WiP] V engine ... it's enough

Ever since a conversation with gizmo, I’ve had this idea in my head.

I don’t know much about clockworks, but I know a little bit about motors.
And since we don’t really have to be realistic with our watches, I think I should try.

I also don’t really know much about animations and coding.
But I can actually draw anything.

I have an Alfa V10 engine in mind as a guide.
I really like the arrangement of the elements.
This probably goes well with the clockwork theme as well.
I would prefer timing chains instead of belts.

I would be very happy if I had your help with this.

3 Likes

Have to get all the timing and sizing right, and having chains as well…that’s beyond me sorry :disappointed:

1 Like

The most obvious thing to do is make some Gif animation sequences for the Timing Belt / Chains. Sadly I have found no way of syncing them to the real time clock . However I think you would only need a small number of frames to show the Belt moving . I would say 6 . Then each frame could be on its own Layer and you can choreograph it with Opacity. A lot of drawing . There is a trick you could employ . Some Timing Pulleys have a Flange . That could hide the radial part of the movement and one pitch of the teeth on the Belt / Chain . So you only have to make frames for the straight bits of the belt . Much easier with Cogs . But not many cars run on clockwork .

Here is a little test 4 frames run over .2 sec . represents 20 FPS . Just a thought .

3 Likes

that looks great.
in the planning so far, all gears on the chain are the same size.
that should simplify things a bit.
i’m just defining the first positions and then i determine the number of teeth and the size of the chain links.

4 Likes

I admit that this isn’t the first time I’ve drawn such components.
but it has never had to move before

2 Likes

If you want to show the teeth of a Belt / Chain you will have to attend to the PCD ( Pitch Core Diameter ) . To get the size of the pulleys / sprockets . You will see I have cheated by having the Teeth animated with the Belt and the core of the pulley running separate . The main reason being I could not mesh them correctly . Obviously I should have selected the rotation speed before the animation speed . In the old days what we used to do is film stuff high speed and analyse it frame by frame to see how out out sync we were . Even at 30 FPS you get good data .
As I mentioned before you will do yourself a favour and not show too much meshing .
Nice bike by the way . Proper Job .

thank you
I drew the bike to visualize my restorations beforehand.
if i find a nice old frame, it’s fun to put it back on the road.
since i drew every component myself, i can now use the individual elements well for this clockwork.

In the places where I can’t get the graphics right, there will be suitable, shapely covers afterwards :wink:

1 Like

Looking forward to the Shapley covers . They used to do that with the chains to stop them spraying black oil all over the Town .

1 Like

Because of the short animation, the timing and the geometry, I had to adapt my planning.
the gears are all ready and should all work good with a chain.
The big one in the middle has 60 teeth, so it makes a full rotation per minute.
the others are each half.

2 Likes

Reminds me of a toy I highly desired in childhood (and never got): the Visible V8!

2 Likes

I would point you to similar topic by @bradtc
[Watch Faces] Chain Drive, Tube, Steel Barrel - Show Your Style! - FACER Community

3 Likes

thanks for the hint
I’ll read it later in peace.

1 Like

plus / minus 0.01mm may vary
but for now I’m satisfied
now i can think about the right colors for the gears, screws etc

I’m just wondering how much longer the pc will keep up

1 Like

That’s quite an elaborate gear matrix there @SR-Design.vision! Looks great! If you can get that all moving in sync with one another, that would be really really impressive! I suspect if you have the skills to turn the chain into a sequence, it might be easiest. The gears can just have an appropriate spin set to them. Nice!

2 Likes

the idea is to split the gears in 3 levels.
level 1 the teeth are animated with the chain.
level 2 are the spokes, these are rotated with the appropriate coding.
level 3 are the shapes in between with the light effects.
these are fixed.
so I don’t have to do without correct shadows and light effects.

at least that’s the idea.
we’ll see if everything works at the end.

2 Likes

It will be intresting to know how many Man Hours were spent on this when it is Done.

Actually everything is correct, but I can’t get rid of the slight twitching.
maybe that’s the point where the loop starts all over again.
6 frames…

1 Like

Sadly all I can see moving is the two sprockets with 5 spokes . You get jumps on the Simulators . The only way to check it is on a watch . Red is very recessive but I get the Point . As it is not inspectable at the moment I can not check the maths . You might have to look at round, ceil or floor.

I was just working on the wheels

2 Likes

Oh wow . I see some slippage between the sprockets and the cores That can be sorted out . Hel fire that is some chain . I think there will always be a jump using a sequence on something like this . I was doing some work on Real Time Image Animation . I will mod the test and post it here .