GALAXY WATCH ULTRA by Samsung (It's About Time!)

Who did what?

2 Likes

They ordered that ugly uncompatible watch

2 Likes

Don’t love the Galaxy Sport throwback design, however it’s really a non issue the longer your wear it. Biggest disappointment are the 2 things that I loved to have but in a confession booth I will admit to barely ever “needed” Rotating Bezel and Power Share charging. All new tech is overpriced and Samsung is no stranger to the gouging. That’s being said the make there numbers churm with the most impressive trade-in values in the industry. I’ve traded in one of my older S3 Frontier watches and used a discount program like the law enforcement/government/student types out there to get the price down to a comfortable amount. I could have saved more by trading in a newer watch like my S6 Classic but…well… Ya know… bezels and charging shrugs. As far as early app incompatibility Facer is the only one that glares out in my use case and (don’t hate me) but if losing 1 app still left me with THOUSANDS of other options in its space. Well, that’s no deal breaker.

3 Likes

Watchfaces from Google Play work? All of them?
Please share.

1 Like

I love all the hate posts when the watch was announced and all they had was a few brief pictures and videos. I bought the Ultra, because it had a battery the same size as my 5 Pro. Which is why i Didn’t get the 4 or the 6 classic. Like others said, turning in my 5pro, plus preorder, as well as employee discount as a wireless manager, i got it under $240.

It feels great. It looks great. The screen is diamong clear. Yes im looking forward to Facer working on it as i pay for yearly subscription, but I have zero complaints on the watch 2 days in.

All the people who want to cry and moan about prices or looks, theres other nonapple or samsung watches you can get. Samsung gives you more options to lower their price with tradeins than fapple ever has. Go cry in a corner by yourself.

I charged it saturday night. You can see the battery indicator. Please complain more…

3 Likes

I’ve got mine on order right now. I do have one question since you have one in your (on your) hand. Does it still have the old basic dashboard watchface? That is the one I use all the time on all my watches.

Capture

1 Like

Yeah it does

2 Likes

Very good, thank you!

1 Like

Within the last few days all the faces I have from Google Play like WFP series, MD series, S4U series and Dream series all work. I did notice that the Rich Face series didn’t work although I haven’t used any of those faces since a few watches ago (I had got them in the Wear Store days). So not ALL but in my experience Facer is the only major omission in the Face game so far. I hope that helps

3 Likes

Thank you for the info!

1 Like

I like the improved screen resolution, faster google assistant response time and the fast button so far compared to GW6 classic

2 Likes

I am “supposed” to get mine delivered tomorrow by UPS.

1 Like

@ mrantisocialguy have fun with it, I hope you’re not disappointed

1 Like

I doubt if I will be disappointed. I normally only wear a Facer watchface on my dress watch. (GW 6 Classic silver) The rest of the time I use the Basic Dashboard face from Galaxy on the others. Of course, on my test watch, (Fossil Carlyle) I have my current watchface from Facer running every day and it sits on my desk in a stand in front of my computer screen.

3 Likes

Please do share your impressions when you get it.

I’m trying to find reasons to buy it - but didn’t find any so far…
Yes, it’s a bit better compared to watch 5 pro (brighter screen, more memory) but no WOW factor.

More CONs than PROs.

5 Likes

Well, let me tell you why I decided to go ahead and order the Ultra. I have two GW5 Pro watches. The first one I bought has stopped tracking my snoring while charging my phone. My other one works fine. So that explains which one I am trading in. The $350 USD trade in is part two. Thirdly, the Ultra is supposed to have Sleep Apnea detection, which I am pretty sure I have. Next, I found adaptors on Amazon to convert the Ultra’s watchband system over to 22mm standard watchbands. That way I can use a wider band on it and make it look a little smaller compared to the band. Oh, and the “free” extra band as part of the deal didn’t hurt either. I will let everyone know my first impressions when I get it all set up after it’s delivered.
Capture

4 Likes

@masterboyhr

Here are my first impressions. I really like this watch. It looks like it is very big compared to my GW5 Pro, but its width and height and maybe thickness might be 1mm or so larger. I did not take time to measure them with my vernier calipers to verify that. Weight wise, it is a little heavier than the Pro is also. The screen also looks larger and I kind of think it might be bigger by 1 or 2mm, maybe. BUT that is a clear easy to read screen and it is noticeable. It does have the Sleep Apnea testing along with all the other normal stuff.

What I don’t like. The new band attachment system. But once you get the band clipped to the watch, it seems very solid. Just getting it attached almost requires a third hand. Pressing the release button when installing it does help a lot. The stock “Trail” band (not the orange one) is stretchy and feels and holds just fine but setting it up for size is pretty clumsy. On the other hand, I don’t like ANY watchbands that come stock with a new watch, except for the one that came with my Fossil Carlyle which was a metal band. I’m going to put it on the Ultra as soon as the adaptor lugs arrive from China. Just as a heads up, it turns itself on when you charge it like my Fossil watch does, not like my Pro or Classic which stay turned off when charging. But that might be because of the way I set it up to display charge level when charging.

Here is a picture of them on my wrist side by side so you can get a comparative size for them.
Capture.PNG

4 Likes

Wow . Not going to be a Hit with most Ladies then . Thanks for the Review.

3 Likes

Thank you for the review!

Looking at both watches on your hand I still think the old design is better.
Detecting sleep apnea is not enough to buy it and I have a feeling it’s a software option so I’m guessing all watches will get it as an software update.

I’m interested in 30% more accurate bio sensors.
Are you into any sport?
Can you see any difference in that department? Heart rate during workouts?

We are not offered trade-in option. Don’t know why.

3 Likes

No, I’ve never been the athletic type of person. But I can tell from my sleep where the sensors are running that they seem to be more accurate. I can judge that by the number of sleep cycles, and blood O2 levels and the Ultra seems to be giving more accurate data knowing how I sleep. I watched a CNET video yesterday where a woman was putting the Ultra to a test against using a chest strap and they were pretty close to each other on data. Here is a link to the video: Samsung Galaxy Watch Ultra and 7 Review: So Close to Being Truly Ultra

4 Likes