Help with wind compliation

Hi all from very frosty Canada! I’m new to creating watch faces, and have a question about how to show wind chill. I’m assuming the wind complication is the one to use, but I need to combine wind speed and temperature to generate that number. Any suggestions for me? If this has been asked and answered I apologize, a quick review of topics didn’t reveal anything.

1 Like

Hey Welcome @evmijkes . I do not remember that being addressed . People calculate Calories and Distance from the Step count as there is no direct data. You have some good variables to work with Wind speed Direction and Current temperature . You will understand that There is a Tolerance on the Data we are given . I am sure it is a simple factoring to combine speed and temperature to get wind chill . If you get stuck we can call the Cavalry . I will have a go as well . You it get plenty Differing Ideas but they will all roughly give the same answer .

Hello @evmijkes,

This was an interesting one to figure out but I tried my best. I am quite new to facer however I have come up with an expression that should be what you’re looking for. According to the National Weather Service, this is the formula to calculate wind chill using temperature in Fahrenheit and Wind Speed:

Formula

I noticed that windspeed does not produce an accurate number using the imperial mph however I was able to get around that using some equations. The wind chill is also undefined when the temperature exceeds 50 degrees F or the wind speed falls below 3 mph. I took all this into account to create what should be the most accurate model for wind chill. It should work for both Imperial and Metric preferences.

$#WM#==F&&#WCT#<=50&&(round((#WND#-0.161876)/2.22713))>=3?(toFixed((35.74 + (0.6215*#WCT#) - (35.75*((round((#WND#-0.00489518)/2.23658))**0.16)) + (0.4275*#WCT#*(7**0.16))),1)):$$#WM#==C&&(#WCT#*1.8+32)<=50&&(round((#WND#-0.161876)/2.22713))>=3?(toFixed((35.74 + (0.6215*(#WCT#*1.8+32)) - (35.75*((round((#WND#-0.00489518)/2.23658))**0.16)) + (0.4275*(#WCT#*1.8+32)*(7**0.16))),1)):$

I hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi russelcresser, thanks for replying. I’m used to querying apis to get info. Is that how Facer works? Is info pulled from an api on the phone?

1 Like

Hi johnhorvath204, thanks for the suggestion! I’ll try it out and let you know!

1 Like

@johnhorvath204 That is some Formula . I look forward to testing that . I learned a lot about Wind Chill . Thank yo very much . Now and again , unlike other social media , Topics become Serious Tutorials very Quickly . Well Done . I have book marked this Topic and will be archiving your Formula . Thank you .

1 Like

Yes . Wind and Temprature data come via Bluetooth from your phone . The Provider is Open Weather . Some have thier app on thier Phones believing the Data is more accurate that way . It is currently accepted that the Data is updated about 4 time Durring the Day . I have my GPS active on my watch as I am intresed in Location .
Location named is the nearest weather station that Open Weather uses . So in certain situations it can seem a bit different fro m yours . Obviously if you are Traveling . You can refresh the data some times by swapping to a NON Facer Face and Back .
LAT LNG comes from GPS Not Open Weather .

1 Like

Wind chill is an interesting idea, I haven’t seen that it’s been done on a watchface.

If you manage to make a watchface with it please publish it here, I would like to see it.

I guess it will not work everywhere. For example, here in Croatia we have a warm winter/autumn wind called “Jugo”, it can be quite strong but it is warm wind, when we have “Jugo” in the middle of winter temperature feels like it’s the beginning of the summer. So it’s the opposite of Chill.
But Chill factor is new and interesting idea.

1 Like

Hi masterboyhr, we have a similar warm wind here in western Canada. It can change the temperature by 10 degrees or more. Caused us problems when it occurred during the Winter Olympic Games. We call it a Chinook.

2 Likes

In the the UK our warm wind is called the Sirocco . Comes from the Sahara and even in Cornwall can deposit a fine red Dust on your Car . To be fair thes Warm winds are few and far Between . I did not test @johnhorvath204 formula
I must try remember tomorrow in between the DIY that has to be done .

I tried the formula, but it seems to have been truncated. Is that what you see? It doesn’t end the way I think it should. It ends after … =3?(toFixed((35.74 +

1 Like

I tried the formula but it seems to be truncated. I typed from $#WM to ((35.74 + and that’s where it ended. Can you tell me what comes next?

1 Like

Sirocco… dream car of my youth…I never knew it is a wind.

2 Likes

@johnhorvath204 . I think your Formula has been damaged by posting . It can be protected encasing it in Quotes . I will try on my Laptop in a bit but I am not sure that ** works on Facer . Did you test your Formula . I think the Farenhiet and celcius conditional can be combined into one .

$#WM#==F&&#WCT#<=50&&(round((#WND#-0.161876)/2.22713))>=3?(toFixed((35.74 + (0.6215*#WCT#) - (35.75*((round((#WND#-0.00489518)/2.23658))0.16)) + (0.4275#WCT#*(70.16))),1)):$$#WM#==C&&(#WCT#1.8+32)<=50&&(round((#WND#-0.161876)/2.22713))>=3?(toFixed((35.74 + (0.6215(#WCT#1.8+32)) - (35.75((round((#WND#-0.00489518)/2.23658))0.16)) + (0.4275(#WCT#1.8+32)(70.16))),1)):blush:

" A Way Out Here They’ve Got A Name For Wind And Rain And Fire
The Rain Is Jack The Fire Is Joe And They Call The Wind Maria "

Nice and easy formula to remember. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

@johnhorvath204 . So I see ** does work . I should have remembered that . If there is one ) out the formula will not run . I can not pretend to debug the formula easily . Will you please post an Inspectable test , that certaily preseves the format .

At the time VW cars were named after winds:
Scirocco
Golf
Passat
Jetta

2 Likes

After playing with it for a bit the formula starts to work correctly . Perhaps it is my understanding of how it works . It only works with colder temperatures and the wind quite Brisk . I need to put it on a my watch and check it with some Local Weather Station .
The preview only shows Blank as there is not the right data there . To check it you will have to Inspect the TEST . If you really know what you are doing you could put it on your watch .

1 Like

Golf ???