How many of you like the ART of watches and friendly design contest?

Hello everyone! I am curios how many of you out there are just as into the ART of watch faces as they are in the actual faces, if any. For me I love making faces and I love sharing them with the world. I know that is pretty much why we all do it but I also love seeing the evolution and design process of a face. Is anyone out there interested in seeing more about how I go from a lose concept like this…

to a finished product like this?

Please let me know your thoughts.
~Orakix

10 Likes

sweet

Wow, your graphical skills are very good @Orakix :smiley:
That loose concept image is amazing, and I for one would love to see/learn how your Faces evolve, as I’m sure lots of others would love to see too.

1 Like

I’m most interested of what amateurs designers can evolve that lose concept :grin: :grin::grin:, with your permission obviously

2 Likes

I would be willing to let anyone who wants to edit that first image and create a face out of it to do so as long as they give me credit in their description of the face. That could be really fun to see what others come up with.

4 Likes

1 Like

I love the look of artsy watches, but prefer the readability of simpler designs. BUT when you can combine them both together; fantastic.

3 Likes

Cool,no problem about credit ,you can choose the name and who likes to partecipate just add a ft by their name

1 Like

Well this face is the Aviator v300 so you can just credit that and Orakix and we should be good.

2 Likes

When I talk about the evolution of the design this is more of an example of what I’m talking about.

I have a patreon where I upload higher resolution images of each stage in the design process so that you can see the full evolution of each face that I make. (Not all my faces have this, it’s something I started more recently.) There is also more perks for being a patreon but you can check it out here if anyone is interested or if anyone just wants to help support my quest in being a full time designer.

I’m also trying to create a community on discord of the hardcore watch nerds that like to talk about this stuff in real time if anyone is interested in that.

2 Likes

I also updated the subject title to reflect this potential design contest opportunity haha.

3 Likes

I really wish I had the GFX design skills of others.
I’m OK at modifying existing images, cutting bevelled holes in metal disks, cutting templated shapes out of metal backgrounds for texture, making basic hands out of shape combinations.
Nothing really fancy however.

1 Like

That’s ok, we all start somewhere. I also have a passion for helping teach others to take their designs to the next level. I’m just experimenting with different ways, trying to find the best way I can do that for people.

3 Likes

So, on your comment about starting with the first image my cleanup would be a a laborious combo of want and manual selection starting like this:

I notice that the background chosen was specifically done so as difficult to clean with traditional methods due to the contrast of the pebbledash, making the magic wand selection almost useless for full face selection.

1 Like

Try selecting the other things instead.

4 Likes

I can see about producing the base parts without the textured background later today but I cannot right now.

2 Likes

@Orakix that would be cool thanks, I love those Hour Markers :smiley:

1 Like

Very intricate design with exquisite detail, even detailed reflections on the side of the hour markers!

What are you using to create your elements that renders so much detail?

2 Likes

I started looking at that, with an initial HSL mod to the butterfly.

Basically I am just poking about with ways to mod the initial image and it is a great image to offer a challenge to modify for a face that fits your own style.

2 Likes

3 Likes