How many of you like the ART of watches and friendly design contest?

I think I will try to have a rough concept on Mondays. Maybe every other week because I am so busy, however I don’t have to be the only one throwing out random ideas. Anyone can really.

Also these faces look great! I love them, very well done @alsx65 and @petruuccios!

4 Likes

How about vertical blinds opening slowly with a transparent background to add things to? :thinking:

1 Like

Something like this?

1 Like

Haha you guys dont even need me. Lol @icrltd4 i do have a shape that might fit this concept but im hesitant to share it because Ive not yet made it into a face and i really want to. Although it is gonna be a real pain in the ass to clean that mesh but you 2d software guys could do some cool stuff with it i bet.

3 Likes

I’m stuck :roll_eyes:

I looked at it many different ways, tested a few things while trying to keep with the vintage principle. I decorated the bezel and bowtie, added hands and calendar, then I got stuck…
I don’t like what I have so far :roll_eyes:
(except the hands)
PS- image below was a high-quality PNG, the upload turned it into a lower-quality JPG.

2 Likes

I actually really like where you were going with it! I’d say the part that I think is making you feel uneasy about it is the dead space. Even though the textured background isn’t just a plan flat color it still is just to much of the same. It just needs a little something else in there. Maybe just sit with it for a day or two and see if any more inspiration comes to you.

4 Likes

@kourosh @Orakix 12 and 6

2 Likes

What I think is unfortunate for this template, the light source is on 3h, which does not match typical 11 or 12h shading of other elements like hands, date windows and so on (I turned it 90° right at start for that).
Maybe you could simulate some power reserve arc slit gauge, or attach a plate with some numbers or naming as @russellcresser suggests, in the unused areas.
Really nice hands, I guess they shine well with lume in dark :slight_smile: Maybe could be slightly shorter to not reach over the marks with more than the very tip.

3 Likes

I was too distracted pining over the overall layout to bother with shading, which is pointed better now.

In the vintage world, top space is more often than not the logo, so here’s my version of Rolex :face_with_hand_over_mouth:. Yea, the bottom could perhaps be a power dial. Easy enough to shorten the minute hand, but that second hand took quite a bit of time to create! And of course, the lume had to be vintage style too.
(and still unhappy about the JPG quality loss)

Face 1 DIM

4 Likes

And a subtle 12&6 version?

5 Likes

Well maybe its still too subtle to ballance the massive bolt-on marks, but I like the roll-eggs alternative too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Keeping a retro style you have room for a rotating moonphase window up and a power gauge down

6 Likes

I have just finished playing around with your Concept image Orakix, and I think it looks very nice thank you. Of course I mentioned you in the description, and I added a link to your profile as well. Thank you very much my friend. :smiley:

5 Likes

HI @kourosh, I’m wondering what kind of tool or filter you use to make that date chamfer?

2 Likes

I do the work in Photoshop. For the chamfers of the lume recesses around the bezel, I cut openings into the blue surface (inner rectangle) and used Photoshop’s bevel effect. Its added benefit is that changing the shading angle is automatically updated in all other chamfers.

But for the date window on the other hand, I cut an opening into the blue surface (the inner rectangle) and then used 4 separate trapezoid shaped masks around the opening (making up the outer rectangle) to add separate brightness levels to lighten (left side) and darken (all other sides) the blue surfaces. I hope I made sense.

DateWindow

5 Likes

Well done my friend. It looks great, I like the idea of the progress bars and thoes screws are pretty crazy! :grin:

I’ll give my shape for the next one probably tomorrow morning. I’ll probably start a new thread for that weeks though.

2 Likes