How to have different weather images for day and night, the easy way

It has been asked:
How to have different weather images for day and night.

So here is the easiest way:

Repeat Step 1 and Step 2 (make another weather icons set for night)
and change images to images you want to show at the night (after the sunset - before sunrise)

and for X postion use:
$#DISDAYTIME#=true?2000:160$

160 is X postion where pictures will be shown during the night (change to whatever you want).

So once again,
X position for day-time
$#DISDAYTIME#=true?160:2000$

X position for night-time
$#DISDAYTIME#=true?2000:160$

7 Likes

Nice Tutorial . Exactly what this Community is about . Five minutes searching will give you exactly what you need on anything possible on Facer .

2 Likes

Pictures of Moon Phases can also be changed.

3 Likes

I’ve seen it mentioned before to move things off screen, rather than using the opacity. What’s the reasoning behind this? Does it save on calculations more if it’s off screen versus opacity zero?

1 Like

On some elements like the weather icons there is no opacity field to be used, so the alternative is to shift it off screen or put its size to 0.
Other reason is, when you want to apply multiple conditions simultaneously, but the given method for combining them does not work well with more than 2.
We have no official information about how this internally works, but by seeing how some features are after years still not working as intended, I doubt it would save any calculations.

2 Likes

Nice @petruuccios and @masterboyhr . Now this Becomes A Master Class Bookmarked . I Pray it does it get Hijacked . :medal_sports::trophy::medal_sports:

1 Like

Hi, all,
Golly gee whiz, I got it - I now have weather images for day and night. However, while fooling around, I managed to move one of my cloud pictures to the far left of the simulator. I got rid of it and how have the Nighttime images and Daytime images where I want them. But a piece of cloud keeps showing up where they were on the far left. THEY DON’T SHOW ON THE SIMULATOR, BUT DO SHOW ON MY WATCH (Google Pixel) - eeeek!! I think that extra “cloud” must be on a layer somewhere, but I can’t figure out how to get to it to delete it. Yes, I have restarted the watch. HELP!!!

1 Like

I think I’ve solved this one, folks - in case any other newbie has this problem. One of my images (happened to be “broken clouds”) was too large. I’m not going to publish this one yet since I want to see if my night time images show up when they are supposed to. Also, some of the other ones might be too large also. The condition outside my window happens to be “broken clouds.” I wish we had a way to test different weather conditions on the simulator.

1 Like

Well Done .Debugging is another level of Compotence we all have to learn .
There is a Weather Condition Slider in the Creator Simulation Panel . If you can not find it I will post a Screen shot .Sadly it only simulatetes Today’s weather / current Condition in the Weather Layer . But I guess that is what you are working with .

Keep pictures small.

Learn how to resize them (it’s very easy) and keep them under or around 100kb, it’s more than enough for weather icons/pics. Yes, 100 KB, not MB. Even 30-50 kb is enough.

1 Like

Thanks - how do I find the Weather Condition Slider. I see the time one, but don’t see how to get the weather.

Thanks, yes, I have checked all my images and they are small enough. So, it’s something else.

My tags are as follows:
$#DISDAYTIME#=true?255:2000$ works nicely for the daytime weather images.

$#DISDAYTIME#=true?2000:255$ should show the nighttime images, but I get blanks.

Images are all properly sized.
Thanks for your help.
Lost and confused

1 Like

Yes your DISDAYTIME formula should work but you have asked the same condition to do two different things . It is obviously doing the First .Try

$#DISDAYTIME#=false?255:2000$

for the night time X position or is it Y .

Here is a shot of a screen showing the Weather Condition slider .
Select your Layer and the little Watch Icon on the Upper right . Scroll down through all the sliders and check them out .There is 12/24 and Imperial / Metric down the Bottom . Good tools .But be aware some Lie a little like wind speed, I think , but they are good for get going . Later when you are ready we can show you how to extend the range .For now familraise youself with what is available normaly .

OK, but I have two weather icon sets (if that’s the right word). I have “Weather Icons-Day” and I’m using the following there.

The other one is “Weather Conditions-Night” and I used the DISDAYTIME = false. I also tried using the true one and reversing the locations. X is 255 or 2000. Y stays the same at 170.
Still no luck. Daytime pictures show up in the daytime. When the time slider moves to sunset and after, they disappear (as they should, but then the night ones should show up.

Thanks for the screenshot. I’ll play with that one now.

1 Like

I suspect you have some sort of Syntax error .Sometimes you have to start a new layer and type the Formula out from scratch rather tha pasting it . Save it and open it again . Trapped errors some times show up then . You can post an Inspectable link here and we can look at it in Creator in case we might spot an error .

Probably - I’ve already found a few of those and fixed them. I’ll try the remove and retype thing and if that doesn’t do it, I’ll send an inspectable link (that will be a new one too). So glad I’m not preaching this Sunday :grinning:

1 Like

I see what the rev in revmarcia is now . I wonder if you have hidden the Layer but mistake . In the Layer title box on the Right are 4 small Icons the little eye is the Visibility / Hide one make sure it is Light Blue .
I can not get this to Fail .

So .Another thing I think might be going on is Fast Forward on the Time Machine does not work with DisDay . Click the tiny Rewind Symbol next to TIME MACHINE . That takes you to Today Now . Just use the slider to Check the Formula . Note the SR SS Times are for L.A. not your Local Times .

Nope, I wasn’t using fast forward, just the slider. Daytime still good. Nighttime not visible. Layer is not hidden.

Here’s the link, but I’m not sure it’s inspectable. Publish will send it out to the world and it’s definitely not ready for that.

1 Like