I am looking for a really good design software, any suggestions?

I am looking for a really good design software, any suggestions?

3 Likes

It Depends if you want to buy something or not . I am a bit stuck because I used basic CAD in my career . So I still use that with it’s basic Rendering Package . I use Autodesk Sketchbook to manipulate the Graphic side .
GIMP is recommended .
This Topic ha been covered before . I am sure others will join in . You work looks pretty Slick already . Where do you want to go from there . UNITY 3D SHADRES ?

3 Likes

Hi In my opinion a good design is a personal skill with a pleasing result and by that i mean you got the result you intended. To design is a skill in itself, but you need tools to express whst you want to do. A really good design software? It depends, there really good designers who use MSWord & PowerPoint, others use Photoshop or Corel Draw and others like myself use Paint3D, Paint etc, with other specific tools like EZGIF. There are other graphic design programs outhere but if they are suitable for all i don’t know. I use Inkscape as my main graphics program but not everybody likes it. So your question is not an easy one - it could depend on whether you are prepared to buy software or not. I’m sure i have forgotten which software some of the designers here use - im sure they will chip in and advise what they use. The best watchface design software is of course FACER :smiley:

4 Likes

This is an intresting Topic from 2018 . See how the Giants played together in the early days . At the bottom of the Topic is a Link List .
https://community.facer.io/t/does-anyone-want-to-share-their-process-or-choice-of-programs/23309

1 Like

For now I am using Paint.net, it is ok, but looking for something better.

2 Likes

I’m also using Paint dot net and it’s taken me a couple of years to really understand what all it can do. I have a few extra plug ins that give it a lot more functionality. Look for the bolt bait pack plug in, apply texture plug in, the dpy plug ins and also the vandermotten plug in. All can be found through the Paint dot net webpage.

1 Like

One of the things I am hooked on is the Polar Array on my CAD . I wonder if Paint.net has that. I suppose you make a tick copy the layer then rotate it . The other thing I use a lot is mirroring . Can you get a Embossed look to stuff with that.

1 Like

I’ve been able to use an emboss function, but I have been only using it for text so far.

This is the original.
AMISH-FIT-1

This is the embossed version of it made from scratch.
AMISH-FIT-3D

3 Likes

That is great the lighting angle is prefect for me and Facer .

2 Likes

I think “really good” SW for designing watchfaces is the Photoshop and Illustrator combo from Adobe, I would say graphic designers industrial standard. Some people praise Affinity designer and Correl draw.
Good, but little less capable free alternatives are Gimp and Inkscape.

Underrated but also powerfull tool for some elements is MS Powerpoint,
made this with it in few clicks:
Emb

3 Likes

The Adobe suite is the top of the line.

2 Likes

I use Photoshop, Illustrator, and (the surprisingly great) PowerPoint :slight_smile: I agree the PowerPoint is much more powerful than people give it credit for. I have a few fairly detailed faces where I’ve used nothing but PowerPoint and Creator. You can also push the Creator a lot further than people realise too :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you, I will check it out,:+1:

1 Like

Yes we had a challenge on this some years ago. Sad is, some nice contributions people removed later.

2 Likes

Definitely a great way to stretch the creativity! Some of these looked great.

1 Like