Infringing... but what?

Somebody please tell me, which elements of this face infringing the ROLEX rights? This face was active for a very long time, and now 2 faces have been deleted for this reason. I’m really puzzled about what’s going on here … completely clear “clones” will be on the top 100 list and they’ll be there for weeks …

1 Like

Reply to the email that you received from Facer. Ask your question. They will tell you what component was infringing. If the automated system made a mistake they will restore the watch face to active.

2 Likes

OK… did it… thnx

2 Likes

Shame . From what I have read on the subject it was not the Bot that took it down.

1 Like

Either the automated filter removed it or someone submitted a DMCA violation notice in which they had to prove that the original design is theirs.

1 Like

DMCA? What is this? And why now? Its was active about 1-1,5 years… I hope i can get a proper answer about why…

1 Like

You would have to ask Facer those questions. Maybe a recent software update changed something? As far as I know those are the only 2 reasons something would be taken down. If you created the design 100% you have nothing to worry about.
The bot may flag something as simple as the type of screw images used. I had one taken down a few years ago because I used Roman Numerals. It was a woman’s pink analog floral design and very un-ROLEX. Of course it was reinstated afterward, but I can relate to your frustration.
On the other hand if any components are similar to anything ROLEX produces, you’ll need to change them. Let us know how things go. That will help other members who may panic at receiving a similar violation notification email.

2 Likes

Sometimes even the name triggers the bot. They might have added some key word on the black list. I once named my green, completly from scratch assembled watch face khaki. It did in no detail resemble the watch from hamilton company, but the face was automatically taken down. My complaint was accepted and face reinstated later, but I rather renamed it meanwhile.

2 Likes

do you remember if there were possibly any words in the description that may have triggered? Clearly nothing about the face is anything that would get flagged so it had to be either name or something in the description.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your understanding and support. I remember one of my jobs being deleted by the bot because it had “oyster perpetual” on the dial and in the description. As a result, the description of this dial reads “perpetual (and not oyster) date ;-)”. Unfortunately, the bot doesn’t seem to have a sense of humor. Even if that’s the problem … I’m still waiting for a response from support. If I can do something I will try to post and “avoid”.

I too have had a watch with “oyster” in the description taken down. And we probably can’t blame the bot for this; Rolex has someone manually searching for infringing words every few months. They don’t look at the watch design, they simply flag any watch that has text that matches their trademarked words. If this watch had a lot of syncs you want to preserve, you can file an appeal and hope for the best, but this can take months (I’ve had a ticket open for over a year). If sync count isn’t important you can reupload the watch but do not put “Rolex”, “oyster” or “perpetual” in the description!

One of these days someone will compile a list of banned words, e.g. ladybird, sub zero, relic etc.

1 Like

@pandaKrusher . I am trying to compile a list . Not sur how to post it and which names to include . ( Designer Company or not. ETC . )
I have posted a Topic on it but got no response at all . I will post a link in this topic. Some Ideas how to manage it would be good.

LADYBIRD…LUCKY ANDREI
Zenith…RUSTY-CRESS
Khaki…PETER ( petruuccios )
TETRIS…BradC
Fossil…BradC
Navigator…Rob.Fisk
oyster Perpetual…safesz
oyster…safesz
perpetual…safesz
sub zero…pandaKrusher
relic…pandaKrusher
Rolex…pandaKrusher
Zodiac…safesz
carrera…lorcueja…in Spain
LCARS…mrantisocialguy
no oyster… safesz

The list is continued in a Genral Topic Titled
BANNED WORDS THE FACER BOT WILL FLAG UP AS AN INFRINGEMENT
Please help to add to the list by contributing there.

Okay, but it’s a nightmare, you can’t use completely ordinary words, shapes (not logos), or even a kind of twist or phrase … what else can come …

1 Like

and Zodiac by me too, and a lot more, but i cant remember all of it ;-p

1 Like

they should spend more time making the product better

1 Like

A veces, el proceso automatizado da errores. La cara que muestro abajo fue eliminada (aunque luego repuesta) por considerarla una copia de Rolex (también Rolex; curioso ¿verdad?)
Otras veces, se borra una cara por utilizar una palabra común en español como “carrera” F1 (“race” en inglés) por ser una marca registrada. ¿Alguien puede registrar, por ejemplo , la marca “aire”? Pues así funciona esto.
‐------------------------
Sometimes the automated process gives errors. The face that I show below was eliminated (although later replaced) as it is considered a copy of Rolex (also Rolex; curious, right?)
Other times, a face is erased for using a common word in Spanish such as “carrera” F1 (“race” in English) for being a registered trademark. Can someone register, for example, the trademark “air”? Well, this is how this works.

1 Like

@lorcueja Thanks for your contribution to the Topic . With your permission I have added your word to the list which appears halfway through now. When this topic is a bit more advanced I will start a new one with the list at the top .

@lorcueja Gracias por su contribución al Tema. Con su permiso, he agregado su palabra a la lista que aparece a mitad de camino ahora. Cuando este tema esté un poco más avanzado comenzaré uno nuevo con la lista en la parte superior.

You can register any word that you want to. You will be successful as long as it is not already registered.

1 Like

Aye. There is a difference between trademark and copyright. MS can trademark Windows as the name of their operating system but they cannot copyright the word windows for any usage as it is a common word.

1 Like

Actually, if another product called itself “Windows” Microsoft would have the right to object. Trademark protects a name or slogan. Copyright provides intellectual property protection to an original creative work, such as music, a book, a film, a painting, or a watch face design.

2 Likes