[KNOWN ISSUE] Sporadic Facer freeze on Samsung smartwatches (Tizen based only)

@Facer_Official

Just sent a log this morning when the watch was lagging to the point I almost couldn’t use it. Hope it helps

Hey thanks for talking about this…my galaxy watch updated to Tizen Vers 5.5.0.1 about 2 days ago…after about 6 hours, my Facer watch face no longer responds to any wrist movement or dial touch. I need to re-boot for it to start working again, then the process starts over again. Very frustrating, but works fine with Samsung’s own faces.

Same here. My original Galaxy Watch (SM-R810) had no issues until a software update this week.
Now running One UI ver. 2.0 and Tizen ver. 5.5.0.1
As feared, this brought the long reported freezing issue to the Galaxy Watch :frowning:

I have now enabled Debug Mode on my watch; will do a dump with the next freeze.
I hope @Facer_Official will be able to fix this soon; can’t use Facer like this…

RM800 Samsung S9, I quit using facer for this very issue. I miss the face I used but it made my watch unusable. I would have to reboot my watch. I hope this gets fixed soon. Oh well. All the review websites about watch faces did warn that facer was buggy on galaxy watches

Same here. Galaxy Watch SM-R800. Also no issues until Tizen 5.5.0.1 came out this week. Now it’s terrible. I’ve done a dump already. Expect an email @Facer_Official.

I wonder if I restore a backup, will my watch go back to the previous firmware?

No, unfortunately it won’t.

Well, the latest firmware from Samsung have pretty much taken care of the issue. (Tizen 5.5.0.2 on Watch 3)

I got it on 3/20/2021. I have been using the new firmware and it hasn’t lag the watch to unusable.
The face still a little jumpy, but at least the rest of the watch is usable. I think Facer might need to do some optimization and it should be good.

Has anyone heard anything from Facer about this? The lag had made my watch unusable with Facer. I have to use Samsung faces now

@rubinsman , I sent my log dump to @Facer_Official, but didn’t hear anything. I’ve been checking for Tizen 5.5.0.2 per @e430benz98 's note above, but Samsung doesn’t seem to be pushing it to Canada. They just pushed 5.5.0.1 out which wrecked things even though 5.5.0.2 has been out a while. Not sure why Samsung would do that they’d do that… Hoping @Facer_Official can come up with a fix… ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Ver. 5.5.0.2 is not available in South Africa either, at least not for the original Galaxy Watch :frowning:

Log dump sent to @Facer_Official via email as requested following the latest freeze experienced.

I’m in the U.S.A. and I have 5.5.0.1 on my original Galaxy Watch and just checked for updated software. 5.5.0.2 is not available to me here either. I had 5.5.0.2 on my Galaxy Active 2 and it DID NOT fix the issue with Facer. My son-in-law was looking to buy a cheap smart watch so I sold him my Active 2.

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the reports, and sorry this is taking so long to fix. To give you a bit of news, this issue has been narrowed down to a GPU memory leak introduced in recent Tizen firmwares. The memory leak is triggered every time you wake the watch face, and eventually consumes all your watch’s memory. Once that happens, the watch may become very unstable, the time not refreshing, etc.

We notified Samsung of the issue and their engineering team is looking into it.
Based on some of your reports, it appears Tizen 5.5.0.2 may be alleviating the issue or fixing it for some of you, but we haven’t been able to confirm that on our side (our watches haven’t updated to that version yet).

We’ll keep you posted as soon as we have more news! Thanks for your patience!

3 Likes

I have this exact same issue, which started after the latest watch update - so annoying! I paid for the premium service so fingers crossed there is a fix soon!

me too!!!

It’s hard to say, but until the Tizen/Facer update arrives and the problem is resolved, I’m forced to ignore the Facer because the user experience is so bad right now. And this is my main platform …

Interestingly Facer is now freezing on my 5th gen Fossil Carlyle. The time continued to work correctly and it would still light up, but the weather, step count, and especially the battery level stopped updating. I was showing 44% battery when it was really only 10%. Just what is going on here @Facer_Official ?

Hi. Experiencing this issue became more and more annoying last days. Facer freezes frequently on my GWatch 46mm. Tizen 5.5.0.1. Hoping for an update soon

I have the Galaxy 46mm too, but I’m still running Tizen 4.0.0.7 and have no problems

Lucky You

1 Like

I wish I could put my Galaxy Watch on 4.0.0.7, but I bought it last month and setting it up it updated to 5.5.0.1. It’s not as glitchy as my Active 2 was, but it’s not as stable as my Gear S3 Frontier is.

1 Like