Limitations on Facer

Hi everybody. Can you help me understanding what’s blocking the functionality of this face. In the creator, I see what I want to achieve about “almost randomly” altering the background picture, in different colours. I use three expressions to achieve that, Moonagepercent (plus truncation) & modulus. Those expressions you find in the lower segment in the creator. I’m sorry, I don’t spend much time naming all those elements…

On my Suunto, the background picture doesn’t alter when active. On the creator page and on preview on a iPad, it does. Not every second as I put in the description, but a little more than that. I does perform much better than the rand function (flickering as we know). The moonagepercent expression offers at the 7th position a different variable number, and not per second which makes it possible to have a different picture every second (= giving a random feeling). But if you run it long enough (>12 sec approximately), you will notice a pattern. But faces don’t stay awake mostly after 12 secs. That’s why I found it useful. But the topic is about the discrepancy between F creator and my or your watch. So I suppose you should synch it. So that at least, I can improve my synch numbers!!

So what is the reason for the different behaviour? Supplementary, are there other cases where this discrepancy happens. I always like to know more about limitations (they are too often untold and to be experienced),as equal as possibilities (often told…).

Thanks for helping.
Patrick

4 Likes

Math is beyond me sorry, but I had to comment just to say how cool that looks, very well done, and I love how you’ve done the Hands :+1:

2 Likes

Well, not sure either, but I noticed that in the formula of the orange background there is a space in it. Some watches do not like this. And another thing that may cause an issue is if the images are too large.

4 Likes

Can’t help you I’m afraid, but just need to say that it looks great. As above I love the hands.

3 Likes

Hi. Love to read comments. I’m now a more forum guy, a place where you get an interaction and support. It means more to me (and perhaps others) than a sync/like, more personal. Thank you!

2 Likes

Hello! Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll adapt the expression, see what happens. Then I crop those images, reduce them, see what happens. I’ll make an update. Is there a doc you know about that describes somehow limitations, requirements, because I don’t get some warning nor error message, not on the creator page, preview, nor on my watch (app F). Thanks again.

3 Likes

Just quickly the MOONAGEPERCENT is a new Tag . May be only working on WOS3 WATCHES . I will have a better Look later . It is working fine on creator . Interesting use of MOONAGEPERCENT . I would be doing that trick with #DNOW# ( UNIX EPOCH TIMER ) but having said that MOONAGEPERCENT is probably more random .

1 Like

I just synced this and it looks great :+1:
Can’t see any colour changing on my GW4 Classic, just stays Red, but my screen times out after 1 minute.
I believe you should use a bolder and larger text for the Date (older eyes not what they used to be); change the central White circles colour to match the Hands (or replace with an appropriately tinted Screw Head), and also add a Battery Text, maybe just below the Date :thinking:

2 Likes

Just made a copy, adapted an expression where there was a space, changed the images into simple coloured circles, removed the bouncing expressions on width, height.

Still, same conclusions. On the creator page works fine, not on my watch. Could be that my Suunto is not adapted for space travel! Perhaps you tried a lift off, from your watch I’ll say…

My suspicion lies on the expressions combi and the hardware differences between an ipad and mine or anyone ‘s watch. Maybe I could alter the expressions combi for the same results. In the end, I hope that somehow limitations are documented. Thank you for helping out, you all!

1 Like

Have you tried removing toFixed? That function truncates a (rounded) decimal place, which for me seems to only work for text based objects. I would choose to use the floor function, just my opinion.

4 Likes

See the difference between your BC-(value) amd my ZS-(value)

4 Likes

Not liking the plain background at all here sorry :neutral_face: I made a Face before that changes colour every 15 seconds, and I think Inspection is open for you to have a look at ok. Would really like to see that first Face working properly, with bolder text, a Battery reading, and colour coded centre (it’s still on my Watch right now lol)

4 Likes

Hi. A big thank you for helping me. I took out the truncation, replaced it with the floor expression.
So the background images use now in new added face, this kind of expression :

$((floor(((((#MOONAGEPERCENT#*100000)-(floor(#MOONAGEPERCENT#*100000)))))*10))%5)=0?100:0$

Of course the modulus value changes pro image. The 5 = a variable/image.

Results : no change for me. Creator (background image changed<> watch (no change). Can you please synch and confirm? Thanks.

1 Like

Hello! Thank you for helping out. I will bring a updated version, at the end of this topic, where I hope we can find out what’s causing the discrepancy between the creator page & my/your watch. Plus of course the suggestions you made before (no problem at all). And I dive into this face of yours to see if there is a solution to this problem and suits
my needs (like random picking images). Thx again.

1 Like

Still no changes on my GW4 Classic, although the background image does appear to be zooming in and out slowly :thinking:

3 Likes

Nice shot! Yes, it should alternate the background photos every 2 secs approximately, like on the preview. Work in progress… I’ll examine your last face and try something with the expressions. Still, I’m disappointed somehow that what I see and get on the creator page, differs from my watch, and yours…

2 Likes

I took a quick 5 second video for you, but we can’t upload videos here, so I converted it to a gif :grin:
CHAMELEON Gif 01 (1)

2 Likes

I reckoned that changing background images only works for me when I want to know the time and that is when the watch wakes up. So that’s when I change the image using this in the opacity field for the images:

$(wakeRand(1,6))==1?100:0$

But of course, this is not what you are aiming for, and I am curious if this finds a solution…

Here my example:

4 Likes

[Hi! Thank you for interacting, joining this voyage. Yes I’m trying to go for a solution, an explanation why there is discrepancy between Facer creator and F app on my watch with the same configuration. It could perhaps give a benefit to many faces. … Thanks. Perhaps the F team can help, but only after the community resources have been “depleted “ :grinning:.

2 Likes

Update = tried with other images (simple circles with different colours), tried with active only 2 original images-elements, tried with displacement expression combo in field x (if true, pos 160, false -160).

No improvements, same discrepancy.

1 Like