Mountain Snow - spot the mistake!

Hi all, I’ve been using this watchface for months now and only just spotted my mistake!

I like a simple digital face so i have one as the dim mode of all my watchfaces this means that i can tell the time without tapping or tilting my wrist. But I also enjoy making analog faces too - like the one here.

1 Like

Don’t see any Mistake .

It’s a bit like word blindness in a way and once seen cannot be unseen- it has VI twice and no VII… this face started off with 3 complications and for all the world looked like a sad smiley - i couldn’t get it out of my head and just had to add the 4th to break the illusion!

1 Like

Real hard to see all the smaller text as well… :thinking:

1 Like

Ha Ha . Sorry I missed That . That is the trouble with Roman . I published a Face with a 6 in the place of a 4. Someone spotted it for me soon changed . I like a sad smiley . If you check my faces you will see I did the same one happy one sad with the moon Crescent .
I looks to me you have not published anything . Get something out there . The Black on white is not Popular because of Power Drain but inverted that is a Nice Face .

Until I made my first face that contains Roman numerals, I had never paid much attention to the fact that most watch/clock faces with Roman numerals use IIII instead of IV. Now, as for the reason why, no one seems to have a definitive answer, and there are multiple opinions as to why.

1 Like

Yeah I just think IIII is on Older Faces .

I just had a look through google and the most common result as to why IIII was used was that it was thought irreverent to have the first two letters of the Roman god Jupiter (in Latin IVPPITER) upside-down.
However, amongst the many answes the answer I like and appeals to me the most is that it balances artistically VIII on the opposite side of the watch face - it has the same ‘weight’ ie it is a design choice which is what facer and this community is all about. My watchfaces will now use IIII unless Jupiter has something to say about it!

1 Like

Yeah. There are long Stories concerning every part of a Clock or Watch.
I put Numerals in the lower half of the Face up normal to the Bezel. I notice that is not done with Romans. It would be a bit confusing.

Big Ben in London is the exception that proves the rule!

1 Like

Ha Ha . Never noticed the FII before .