My hand games not quite up to snuff

Ok guys here’s the deal. I tracked down some images of what in my opinion is the definitive list of hand sets.
And I made a poor attempt at creating my own sets.
They didn’t quite turn out how I would have wanted.
Disclaimer about my process.
I used Paint
I loaded my image and set the canvas to 525 x 525, then I cut out one hand opened a new canvas, Then pasted my hand onto that canvas and tried to center the top of the hand with the center top of the canvas. ( because I read somewhere on here that was how another person made theirs).
Yet when I try them on a new face they aren’t centered.
Granted some come kinda close.
Also I did my best to make them as clean as I could and not have any bleeding effects…
Anyway I will link my attempts so you can check them out, along with the image I used to attempt to make them.
You know just in case somebody wants to be nice and actually make them better then I am able to.

Set 1- Arrow hands.

Set 2- Baton hands.

Set 3- Breguet hands

Set 4- Cathedral hands

Set 5- Dagger hands

Set 6- Dauphine hands

Set 7- Ladder hands

Set 8- Leaf hands

Set 9- Rolex style hands

Set 10- SKX style hands

Set 11- Snowflake hands

![snowflake hands sec|500x500](upload://6nCxRKSSbDlv3VQsN5gH9wfFzlf.png

Ok that being said if anyone wants to make better more aesthetically pleasing copies then by all means please do

1 Like

That is always a most difficult way to make nice hands . They are best drawn from scratch . Failing that there are hundreds of sets of hands on here . Most of the ones you have shown above are covered with removable Lumes as well . I am certain you can find someting in here . Well done with what you have done . Centering hands manually is very difficult . I always work on a Square template and have a grig for " centering " stuff . When I confirm the Position it jumps a random px or two . If I want someting accurate it has to be rendered in my CAD or it goes out 2D for OLED specials .

1 Like

I do agree that there are several good sets on here. Its just that 'm pretty shall we say vanilla when it comes to my hands.
My problem is most of the time when I want to make a face I need / want a specific style of hands for said face.
But yet try as I may I can never for the life of me find a set on here that works.
And 9 times out of 10 the set I need / want is one of the sets I posted on here.
Which as I mentioned to me is the definitive list.
It’s crazy how much time I have spent scouring these threads looking for specific styles.
Also its true that making my own isn’t the easiest thing. for one thing it would be nice to be able to use better pictures. But sadly it’s not that easy tracking down images af hands that are not connected or at an shot at an angle making it hard to cut around the hand you want to copy.
Its just so GRR I tell ya.

1 Like

Here are a Couple of templates . When you remove the background from pictures you can use a straight line eraser to cut of some of the fuzz. If you select ONE set of hands from your collection above I will make them for you . I am not going to do the collection . If I am determined to use a picture I some times draw some cutters . That is often easier than rendering them .

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing these grids to help aid me in future attempts. And as far as picking one of the above sets. My top pick would probably be set 3- the Breguet set

1 Like

So that set of hands can be 2D in white. I can render them in CAD but you have to tell me What kind of finish they have on them . The other guys can make Soft shadows . I will do some 2D and see if someone joins in .

2 Likes

Yeah I have no idea what kind of finish they have. But if your asking what I am looking for in the end. That would be a nutural color that is easy to change colors on.

1 Like

You can only render hands with Highlights and Shadows as Grey . When you tint them the highlights go bright blue rather than white . You have to render them the colour you wan them . They look like they could be gunmetal Blue to me . More soon .

1 Like

I did not know that. That’s what I like about you. you’re always teaching me / us.

1 Like

Showing off . :rofl:
Today is our shopping day . I will draw something later . I hope some others will then join in to show us how to Emboss a 2D image and make Soft Shadows . I know these things have been covered on the Comunity . Which Graphics Platform are you using ?

1 Like

aa9e218a127c1847b7946a801feaa529b3d6fad2_2_125x500

3 Likes

You can find hands here : Hands (Hour/Minutes/Seconds) - FACER Community

2 Likes

@tom_p199 . Here are some quick tests . See the grey render and test it tinted .
Sadly I do not feel 720x720 is good for nice hands . But see what you think .

2 Likes

2 Likes

Not certain if this seconds hand is any where near what you want . Waiting for comment .

Lumes for above.

Some white backgrounds for the sec and min . Also some soft edge shadows . I have never used a Gaussian Blur before so it was a good learning for me .In Paint . net . Nice little platform actually . Some of the guys have talked about it bit I am so stuck with my old Ways .

Ha Ha got that seconds wrong .

3 Likes

I always make everything in one file then turn things on and off and save them out individually. This way I can line my hands up with ticks/markers on the face how I want them to line up and size them correctly. It’s pretty easy to make your own, its the design that you’ll struggle with. But to start, just make a 640x640 doc and set guides at the center for horiz and vert. Then start at the center and draw a circle. If you want it to be hollow, start at the center again and make a smaller circle and delete (or layer mask if you can). Then just take a long rectangle and center it on top of the circle with the bottom just touching it or overlapping a little. Line it up where you want vertically, then delete or add as necessary. Then an easy way to get hands to line up and be perfectly centered is to turn off all other layers so you just have the minute hand for example, then use a crop tool starting from the center of the guides you made and select the hand and all of the space below it so that you have one long vertical image with the hand taking up the top half. Then you can just load that into Facer and it will line up perfectly.
Example: (You would just remove the green background in this case)

2 Likes

Thank you for posting these.

2 Likes

I tested a random set. they appeared as good as one could hope they would. 'It is much appreciated.
Now I just need to find the section that teaches me how I’m supposed to do the lumes and shadows and stuff.
Cause something tells me it’s a little more then just adding a second hand or whatnot.

1 Like

thank you for sharing this knowledge.

1 Like

No problem, you’re welcome! As for shadows, if you can use blur, just make a copy of your hand, set the brightness to zero (make it black, or you can select it and fill it with black) then deselect it and blur it a little. Then when you add it into Facer, just use the arrow keys to offset it down and to the right like 4 pixels each way and it will follow the “light”. Or you can just use the built in drop shadow in facer.

For lume, if you have it, you can use the outer glow blending effect in photoshop, or do the same process for making the drop shadow but instead of making it black, make it the lume color you want. You make have to make it a little more blurry so it extends past the edges of the main hand, just dont offset that one. If you want the actual hand to glow, you can select all on your hand, then contract the selection a few pixels, then fill with lume color.

Good luck!

2 Likes