Newbie Help Needed: Complication Sizing / LEDs Light .pngs / Shortcuts to Apps

I’m brand new to Facer Creator and am loving it! I’m having some difficulties and though I tried to find documentation to help, I’m not having any luck in my research for the following items.

A) ONLY 4 COMPLICATIONS
Is it true that any given face can only hold 4 complications? If so, I’m quite surprised by this restriction.

B) COMPLICATION SIZING
I’m having a real challenge figuring out how to change the size of the “Round” complication. I’m using it for Chance of Rain % and even on the “S” (small) setting – it is way too large.

C) 7 LEDS FOR DAYS OF THE WEEK AND 2 LEDS FOR AM / PM
I’ve created 7 LED .pngs for each day of the week MTWTFSS and 2 for AM / PM. But for the life of me I can’t figure out how to make a .png show up only when a certain time criteria is met.

D) SHORTCUTS TO APPS

1. I want to have shortcuts to installed apps, but I don’t want to waste the 4 complication limitation on shortcuts. Any advice.

2. Regardless of whether or not using a complication for shortcuts, I’d sometimes like those shortcuts to an app populate the app’s original built-in icon. How is this accomplished?

E) DISABLE COMPLICATION SHORTCUTS
Is there anyway to disable the automatic shortcuts for complications? I don’t always want them to be clickable as they can interfere with other shortcuts I add.

F) EXPORT FACES
How do I download / export the faces I create to save as backups on my computer?

I would greatly appreciate any help!

1 Like

I can Help with the LED issue which is basically display day/time conditionals. For the AM/PM issue I use $#Da#=AM?AM:PM$ conditional in the text box to display either AM or PM in a certain location. If you were using images, then $#Da# =AM?100:0$ can be used in the opacity box to display the AM image. and then modify the PM element accordingly.

For the days of the week then $#DE#=Sun?100:0$ in the opacity box could be what your looking for. Look at this to see how I’ve done it Wayne H - Digital 06 - watch face for Apple Watch, Samsung Gear S3, Huawei Watch, and more - Facer

2 Likes

Hi Wayne,

Thanks so much for your great help and sharing the sample watch face you created. I’m finding it challenging to find support and documentation for using Facer. Perhaps I just haven’t yet learned to navigate their support.

I appreciate you.

1 Like

This is the place to ask if you get stuck…

1 Like

Perhaps I should break down the 6 questions (A-F) into separate posts. It was probably a bad idea to put them all in one post now that I think about it. What do you think?

1 Like

No worries. I’ll try to answer to the best of my knowledge…

A) According to the documentation more than 4 should be possible. But haven’t used compilations before - perhaps someone else can comment.

B) As far as I can judge it, you only have 3 sizes: S, M, L

C) You can do a lot with opacity and conditions as @waynehardy66 said.

D, E) sorry, I have no experience with this

F) I am afraid that is not possible. I have seen that some make notes of every element in a spread sheet. I have a bunch of pictures I work with, which reduces the number of elements needed. In some cases I design something outside of Creator, and import the background as the watch face. That way I only need the hands, steps, battery level, etc.

1 Like

@2realist4u . On facer you can not Back up your Work to Your Drive . It is all kept on Facers server . I have neve had any Problems with it . You can make yourself some collection to help you organise stuff but that is it I am afraid . before you publish duplicate your work . Give the Publication a Revision number or whatever . Two reasons . Facer can Take your publication down from a Multitude of reasons but mostly the use of certain English in your Title or description and it is gone forever . On the apps a Revised Publication Title will not update . So you can end up with two different titles for the same Face .

If you are still stuck with the day of the week thing get back there are a number of ways to sort it .

Sorry I can not help with the other stuff . ENJOY.

2 Likes

I really appreciate all your help! Based on the feedback, I’ve been playing around with Samsung Watch Face Studio, and it seems it may be better suited for what I’m trying to accomplish. Perhaps I’ll come back to Facer in the future, but for now I seem to be able to do more of what I’m looking for in WFS. I really appreciate all your feedback. Have a great weekend!

1 Like

Intrestingly I find the community here on Facer a lot better for Newbies. ENJOY BOTH.

Yes, that is the limit.

It is what it is. You are limited with those sizes, there is no way around it.
Chance of rain is limited to round complication and it doesn’t show %, it works only as progress bar.

Again, 4 is the limit.

The easiest way to see how something is done is to inspect how other people solved problems.
Many watchfaces are open for inspection, click on the rocket left of the watchface and it will open in editor.
The best teachers are: russellcresser and mrantisocialguy.
petruuccios is here for solving the impossible problems.
Inspect their work.

There is much more you can do with Facer than with Watch face Studio.
Both have Pros and Cons, but Watch Face Studio is very limited.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for taking the time masterboyhr! Your responses confirmed for me that WFS was a better fit for me. It still has an 8 complication limit – but that is much better than 4. Also, literally everything can be any size. Finally, being able to keep backups on my server was an important consideration as well.

I finished building my first watch face and it came out better than I could have imagined. I’m curious, what can Facer do that WFS can’t do?

And by the way russellcresser – I’m definitely finding the community here to be much stronger than Samsung’s; but the help files and documentation that Samsung has is top notch.

1 Like

One other question – what are the general sentiments of the community – regarding using graphics from the watch faces of others? I’m assuming it’s taboo, but fine as long as one doesn’t sell it – and gives credit to original authors? Would it be appropriate to post a screenshot, but give credit?

1 Like

Yes, if you want to work with complications WFS is better. But that is also what limits your creativity.

Example:
WFS: you can add weather complication and that’s it, you have pre-made icons.
Facer: you can add weather icons or even gifs with conditions.
If weather is sunny then show picture X. If weather is rainy then show gif B.
If temperature is X change color to something else.

WFS: heartrate doesn’t work, you have to “tap to measure”.
Facer: heartrate works, you can play with it, if heartrate is >100 then show picture XY…

Stuff like that.

1 Like

Just use you Manners . It would be nice to ask the Author if you could .

Yes, here is more like sharing ideas, stealing math solutions…

1 Like

Sadly Facer does not have Magic Masking and Curved Text . No Platform can give everything a Creative Person would like . We will all end up Where we Belong . I am still completely amazed what is achieved on Smart Watch Faces . As far as I know the Game is not 10 Years old yet . It is very interesting to go back to the early days on the Community and see how they did stuff with the Basics on offer then . I am interested in the new Moon Phase Tags . I could not have done the Old School stuff .

1 Like

I agree. Pros and Cons.

I have to say that I expect much more from WFS. I am a big fan of Samsung so I’m not saying it just to put them down.

1 Like

I think they are working on it. Ther have regular Feature Requests on thier Community.

I don’t know about the heartrate, but everything else you mentioned I did accomplish on WFS. I’m guessing that their most recent build is much more robust then it used to be. I have different weather icons if temp drops below 60 degrees in summer months, and below 45 degrees in winter months. I have LED’s that light up for AM/PM, and different LEDs for MTWTFSS.

1 Like

Excellent advice, thank you! I will ask the author. Much Obliged.

1 Like