Rectangular shapes - making a fake equalizer?

Is there a simple formular that can achieve a fake, but smooth equalizer look using simple rectangular shapes - something like this one?

Any help very much appreciated…

1 Like

For example 5 rectangles next to each other with variable height:

1. height:(20+(10*sin(#DWFSS#*2.1)))
  2. height:(30+(20*sin(#DWFSS#*1.3)))
  3. height: (40+(25*sin(#DWFSS#*2.7)))
  4. height: (30+(20*sin(#DWFSS#*2)))
  5. height: (20+(10*sin(#DWFSS#*2.2)))
3 Likes

Hello tom.vannes. Thanks so much for coming to the rescue here and that quick! It works like a charm :wink:

Could you be so kind and let me know what each number refers to:

(20+(10*sin(#DWFSS#*2.1)))

I guess the ‘DWFSS’ controls the smooth animation per second and the *2.1 is probably the amplitude value of the sine wave. Please correct me if I am wrong. If you could let me know what the ‘20’ and ‘10’ do that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks again.

1 Like

Cool!

An option: Replace the first number with #ZHR# and you’ll have the same effect but related to the heartbeat.

(#ZHR#+(10*sin(#DWFSS#*2.1)))

2 Likes

The first number, the 20, is the height of the rectangle, like a starting point. The sinus varies between 0 and 1, so in this case, the bar will be minim 20 in height and max 30. So I would think the 10 is the amplitude. The 2.1 is the speed at which the bar goes up and down, so that would actually be the wave period / frequency.

3 Likes

Hello tom.vannes - thanks for the explanation - this is excellent!

2 Likes

Hi Tom - quick question. Is there a formula that mimics more varied sound waves like speaking rather than a constant rhythm?

Say we have a circle and we like to expand the circle slightly with the ‘sound waves’ (like a speaker membarbe) and have more variation in the expansions/contractions of the circle - like say human speech?

I just thought I check with you… Thanks in advance…

1 Like

Should be possible. I could imagine addind/multiplying a random value into the equation… I’ll think about it

1 Like

Here is a test made some time ago. Might be something in there.

The Preview is not showing Random stuff properly at the moment.

4 Likes

Since approach Russell !

This formula comes close to a membrane vibrating. Circular object with radius as:

(10-(log(0.5*(exp(rand(5,10))))/(log(0.5)))-2*(1/(log(2))))

Default radius is 10 and varying between 5-10 on top of that. Here the stuff we’ve bee looking at so far (formula used on speaker and the 2 dots):

You can play with the heart rate and then the beat will change. The 3 flames on the right appear after each other upon wake.

4 Likes

Very Nice . Got a Tutorial going here . Lets Hope it does not get Hijacked.

Hello - thanks so much for both of your feedback and samples - there is so much to play with which is always fun and exciting as well as educational and sparks the imagination!

2 Likes