Stepcounter not working on PIXEL WATCH

Hi there. Unfortunately the stepcounter is not working on my pixel watch. Granted every permossion possible. App version 6.1.5. Any ideas?

1 Like

It is a known issue on Pixel watches. Google is supposed to be working on the fix.

2 Likes

Ok. Thank You for the information.

2 Likes

Funny though that the stepcounter works with other watchfaces (e.g. Timeflik). So its obviously not a google problem and facer should be working on a fix instead :wink:.

1 Like

Hey @arnomail . Welcome . This Step count thing is Much more Complex than we Imagine . For example Weather Data . Your watch Manufacturer will get It’s weather Data fom one Online App and Facer will get it from another . Open Weather in this case . Most watches measure steps but so do phones if you are not wearing your watch . So the Data has to be processed by Facer , your Watch Manufacturer the Phone Manufacturer and the Health App on yor Phone . Pixel Watch is the New Kid on the Block . So is it’s Operating system .

Huawie do not have these problems because they use thier very own Operating System they do not run Third Party Apps like Facer.

It will be sorted it is just very complicated .

1 Like

Ok. A simple restart fixed the problem for now. Thanks for your effort.

2 Likes

Hey Brilliant. On Samsung watches we have a 2 Button Reboot. One with a Single Button will be different. I would do whatever you did now and again. Perhaps give some detail here as others will be delighted to know the Fix.

excited-minions-gif

Why is it that some Pixel Watch users have luck with a restart and others do not? I’ve tried restart dozens of times and even a factory reset (which necessitating rebuilding everything - no fun at all) and have never had steps report past 999 or a little less. BTW, the Pixel Watch is a single button - depress and hold the crown, select restart on the watch screen.

1 Like

I’m wondering about your explanation of why steps aren’t counting properly on the Pixel Watch. Weather is a different kind of feature. As you said, the watch has to go out to get the data. BTW, weather is fine on Facer faces on the Pixel Watch, so clearly it can do that. Steps however are counted directly by the watch. Facer has only to read and report from Fitbit on the watch. Facer seems to do that fine on Samsung watches, reading Samsung Health. Facer actually does steps fine on the Pixel Watch - just quits at 900 and some. Maybe an OS issue, but I don’t know.

1 Like

All I was trying to say is it is a little more Complex than we Imagine . It will be sorted Pixel Watch is a Big deal .

1 Like

Hoping it doesn’t take until the Pixel Watch 2 to be sorted. The PW 1 that I have came free with my phone, but it was still new, so I would like to keep it for a while, and would like everything to work. Silly me.

1 Like

Why would Facer read and report from Fitbit?
This was free with your phone? There’s a saying about a gift horse.

1 Like

Perhaps I worded it incorrectly. Most Facer faces show “Steps” on the face. That number should match the number of the user’s steps that the watch is picking up. That’s what I meant by read and report. I’m sorry if that was the wrong way to put it. All the Facer faces I’ve tried do this just fine but they stop the step count somewhere in the 900’s. The watch keeps counting as the user continues to take steps. Steps on the face should do the same.

The Pixel Watch is hardly a “gift horse.” It’s actually a very good smartwatch with many excellent features. I’ve enjoyed it except for this problem with Facer faces. There are plenty of others available that do not have this issue, but Facer ones I’ve found are the ones I like best.

1 Like

I see. Have you reported this to Google? Perhaps the more people they hear from the more inclined Google will be to fix it.

1 Like

Google’s only answer is to submit a Feedback request. I’ve done that several times. This problem has been hanging around since last November when the Pixel Watch came out. There have been five Google system updates since then, but the problem still exists. I have confirmed that all the Facer permissions are set correctly. I am not sure Google is where the root of the problem is. About a dozen Google style faces come with the watch. There are still many others on the Play Store. I’ve tried many of those - on all the step counter works fine. It seems to be only on Facer faces. Periodically, I give up on Facer, but the faces are all so much nicer that I keep trying.

2 Likes

I have a few followers with Pixel watches that wear mine dispite the steps problem but they are very frustrated. It’s really not cool that it isn’t fixed by now. They keep reporting to Facer and Google with no progress on this issue. I wish someone would get behind it.

Me too. Thank you for weighing in.

@thomasfmal & @revmarcia558
I realize this is going to sound controversial and maybe even a little on the conspiracy theory side, but here goes. I honestly believe that Google is not interested in getting it fixed any time soon. I believe they are dragging their feet hoping that more people will get tired of it and sign up for the Fitbit subscription. Just like it took almost a year to get Google Assistant onto the Galaxy watch. It was due to an agreement between Samsung and Google so Samsung would have time to introduce new Galaxy watch users to Bixby and get them invested in that ecosystem. And now Google is doing it to get new people into the Fitbit ecosystem… Just my personal conspiracy theory, you can take it or leave it as you please.

3 Likes

@arnomail

Ok. A simple restart fixed the problem for now. Thanks for your effort.

Can you please describe the steps you took to get the Steps on your Pixel Watch .

Well, Pixel Watch May update just loaded. Earlier than usual. So, I put on a Facer face - one of my CGE Pro favs. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow if steps are fixed. Fingers :crossed_fingers: