The Google Pixel Watch 2 - NO Wireless Charging

I just switched back from my GW 6 Classic to my GW 5 Pro. The battery was at 100 when I started, and I shut it down at 15%. I used only Samsung watchfaces so I could get a baseline for any future tests. I found where they hid the usage time since last charge that used do show. It’s in the Wear app in Watch settings > Battery and device care > Battery. When you click that, the top shows the amount of time left. Then the Power saving switch, the Sleeping apps and then Usage since last full charge. It said that I wore the GW 6 Classic 2 days and 22 hours. That is almost what I get with the GW 5 Pro after using it for the last year. I can usually get 3 days and a few hours on it.

Obviously, that will decrease when using Facer just because, but it should still do pretty good. My only issue and it is with both my GW 5 Pro’s and the GW 6 Classic is whenever I am using Facer the green heart rate LED is constantly flashing and never turns off. Even if the watchface does not have a heart rate reading. As soon as I switch to any Galaxy watchface and stop Facer running in the background, the LED stops. I suspect that has to do with Facer’s fix for when the heart rate wasn’t working, and I made a request about heart rate. I was told in an email that it was a known bug, and that Facer was working with Google on a new way for Facer to trigger heart rate requests. I am wondering if their fix has a bug in it or their fix was to just call for continuous heart rate measuring when using Facer. By the way, I have heart rate shut off in the “On demand setting” in all my Galaxy watches except the GW 1 which is not affected by that since it’s Tizen.

If you really want the GW 6 Classic I would say, go ahead and get one, but don’t get rid of your 5 Pro. Just take turns wearing them and you can charge the other one in the meantime.

3 Likes

Wow Thanks . Good Feedback .

1 Like

That’s really good. Much better than I expected.
I don’t get that even on watch 5 pro but I have everything ON (except always on function, I don’t use it).

This is an example how different we all are in demands.
Real time heart rate is very important to me and I LOVE the fact that green light is always on. I don’t want any changes here.
I don’t think it eats more than 1-2% battery, tops.

I will skip it, I just cannot find any good reason to replace watch 5 with watch 6.
I would like to have rotating bezel back but 450 euros is too much to spend just for that.

Again, thank you for sharing, it’s nice to read “the real” review.

1 Like

Yes . Like SPO2 . That Sensor could be a Life saver . But It should be as optional like the Red LED . One of the big problems is the green LED was not functioning correctly . It is supposed to strobe at about 6 fps but if it gets stuck on it warms up a lot and that ueses Power . My Power consumption has halfed since I have avoided it . I must add , the WiFi is off as well . But Yes there is a Cost to pay for all the Facility’s we want on our Watches .

2 Likes

Interesting, I didn’t find any (major) difference in battery consumption with or without HR sensor.

2 Likes

Sorry about my Spelling . I am doing a Fair Test At the moment . I should have some data at the end of the day . It is important not to change stuff and do any Syncs during the test . I think the amount of power that is put into an active sensor is proportional to the age of the Technology .
I am extremely glad that the sensor is working for you .

2 Likes

Yes, it might be. It shouldn’t be but it might.

Let us know about the result.

1 Like

Do you have the High and Low HR Alarm Set on Samsung Health ?

My Test results are .
With HR on continuous on Samsung Health and a Facer Face with hr reading . The Sensor seemed to be ON Most of the times I peeked .

09:30 am 78% till 11:30 66% 2hrs used 12% + 6%ph.

With the HR sensor OFF

12:00 pm 56% till 16:00pm 37% 4hrs 19% = 4.75%ph

Not as dramatic a difference as I said . However one test is not enough . The battery has less potential under 50% I will do another for longer . I will still be charging my watch every Day whatever .

1 Like

Try one full day (charging-to-charging) of normal use with watchface with HR
and
one full day with watchface without HR.

That’s how I did it.

I’m interested in results.

1 Like

Sadly I got sucked into testing something . I am going to have to make myself absent , for a couple of days . I still notice often when I peek to see if the Sensor is running it is not . I have absolutely no Idea what switches it back on . I know it is not the FDA . must be real Voodoo .

1 Like

Marvin is playing games with us! For sure!

1 Like

At least on my watch it needs to detect Skin to work . If I remove the watch the HR sensor switches of after about 4 seconds . Nothing other than coverd by my skin seems to switch it back on .

Yes, same on the watch 5 pro.

1 Like

I did a test on my Pocket Oscilloscope with a Solar Cell as a sensor and got a reading of 40ms cycle for the Flashing . That would make it 25 fps . I think it is slower than that . There may be a phasing of the light intensity . I will have to Google it . How the sensor works is probably a Trade Secret at the moment .
Oh no it is 80 ms Peak to Peak . That will make it 12 fps.

Hi, guys,
@russellcresser is on to the right idea (as far as I know, which isn’t far). If I take my Pixel Watch off to charge it or take a shower, etc., all the sensor lights go out after about 2 or 3 seconds. The watch does need to contact skin to start them up again although that seems to be immediate. It also locks when removed - actually a great safety feature since I keep Google Wallet on all my faces.

I’m presently in one of my “weary of all the stuff that doesn’t work on Facer” (Marvin?) so I am currently wearing a nice Prado design that doesn’t seem to have these issues.

1 Like

Ha Ha . @revmarcia558 . You Will be Back . :+1::+1:

1 Like

Probably, but not very soon. The online rumor mill says today that Wear OS 4 is rolling out to the original Pixel Watch starting today - so I shall wait until my turn to receive it arrives and then see if it will send Marvin away for a while.

1 Like

The Marvin I know hangs about outside the Door for quite some Time , with no change in attitude at all . But Yes it will be interesting and I hope good news .

2 Likes

@masterboyhr . Doing my best to make a Fair Test for HR On and Off . I will post the results here later on today .
Sadly I am up against it a bit . By all accounts I used 6% power on the Compass while I slept . I should switch on the Tracker and see where I went .
None of the Samsung Apps on my watch can be Put to sleep .
Samsung have obviously blocked any Sleeping of thier Stuff so they can work out where thier mistakes are .
Oh Dear . I am thinking of getting my GT2 out of the Box .

I think you should charge it time to time, when stored, otherwise the battery will degrade and completely loose capacity.

1 Like