What do People want?

I’ve published over 2900 faces. I have 4.7 K followers. I have more than 20 faces with over 1000 syncs. My most popular face has 12.5 K syncs. And I get a lot of compliments in the comments. But most of my creations muddle along with between 10 and 100 syncs. My most recent ones aren’t even hitting 10 syncs.
I don’t think every one of my creations is fantastic, but I think these are beautiful.

Just a few examples. The numbers show that nobody ese is impressed.
I know digital faces are more popular than analog. I prefer analog, and I am designing for myself. But still, Is my taste that different from the masses?!?
I often hear complaints that there aren’t enough faces for women. I have a Foral collection Floral Collection
and a bunch of elegant faces in my Elegant collection Elegant Collection that I think should be appealing to women… but what do I know since I’m a guy.
Anyway, I don’t know what Facer users like, but I still keep designing things I think are nice

6 Likes

I would say among the sea of total garbage that gets uploaded to Facer on a daily basis, you have about 5 seconds to make an impact and give your face some traction. There is no difference between “real work/art/design” and a stupid raccoon.gif watch face on Facer. It all gets shot into the Facer ether and then get buried in more sludge. So really, I feel it just comes down to luck. At the end of the day though, if your watch gets attention, syncs, followers etc., does it even matter anymore?

So what do people want?? Who cares. Just make what you want and syncs be damned!

10 Likes

That’s what I’ve been saying here, every time I see it. Stupid watch face and I’m also getting tired of seeing that other stupid Pep Boys crap

4 Likes

Please Explain to an Old Git what Prep Boy Crap is . I have to say that the Way Facer is set up there is Beauty and Bollox Published . Like life itself there is more Bollox . However I respect Facer for tying to maintain an Open Platform . I just feel there should be a limit per day of new publications .
It is a Shame that Fresh Faces is such a Swamp . I used to be very excited to have a look there .

6 Likes

For me it’s ‘horses for courses’ as they say…if the majority of the charts is made up of crap faces then that tells you about the audience for them. However, there are always a few good ones there, mostly by people you meet here.

I’m a free user so the charts are only a bit of fun for me and I don’t care about them at all! If you wonder about the paid chart - another phrase springs to mind -‘If you don’t understand the problem it’s the money’.

There appears to be many variables and little logic to the charts so, to quote another phrase - don’t worry be happy!

4 Likes

100% agree! With my skills one a day would be a lot! :smiley:

5 Likes

@wsilbers .Wow . Some stats there then . I have made some Faces like yours . Classic I would say and never expect them to do well . The Candy Store ( Colour Bombed ) Faces do well . For me Faces that exploit the Technical Advantages of OLED and save power are my personal Favourites .
As Creatives we Make what we feel in our hearts is Good Looking .
It is quite easy to spot People who are making Faces to a Business model and get noticed by the Users and Facer . I think it intresting that those that keep coming back to the Community are the ones that make Intresting Faces and give them Titles other than " New Watchface " .

4 Likes

@BIELITZ Indeed .

2 Likes

Hi Warren,
I watched your designs and I like them. Real artwork and absolutely not mainstream.
And yes, there is a lot of rubbish downloaded on facer (raccoons and pip boys included)
But in the end you make the stuff you like. If you want to make great stuff, keep on doing so an don’t care about syncs. If you want syncs, you make some good mainstream stuff.

4 Likes

@wsilbers trotting along behind you…
Same for me, just still a little less on the stats, but it makes you wonder what it would take to get 100k followers and hit the charts regularily.

But then again, I do not bother much anymore. I do congratulate those in the community that make it into the top of the charts. And some of my ideas are inspired by you lot as well, so keep it up :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Russell my friend, I’m guessing Prep Boy was actually a Typo, more likely an auto correct, but it’s probably meant to be Pip Boy, from the Fallout Game series…
Pip Boy Gif 01
Pip Boy Gif 02

3 Likes

I imagine having the Facer promotion machine putting your faces all over the site helps with the followers. My hats off to those who have managed to get 10k+ followers without Facer’s help.

5 Likes

I meant Pip-Boy. Like this one here. It’s been in the number 1 spot since I joined Facer

3 Likes

Ah Yes . Well done . :rofl::+1:

3 Likes

Ha Ha . Yes . A Facer in house self promotion Job . One of thier Faces has Over a Million Syncs . Basically because it comes with the Facer App .
Correction 2.9 million .

4 Likes

My take, people want a TON of info at a glance. Organizing it into a readable, well designed piece is the tough part.

5 Likes

Sorry, but how is it possible to publish without Facer, just curious because I haven’t reached that level!
Thank you very much in advance!

2 Likes

There are many Other Platforms for Making and Publishing Faces . It would be rude to mention them by name again . None as Easy as Facer but somewhat easier to Monetise . Stay with Facer for learning and for fun .

2 Likes

Ok my friend !!!
Thank you !!!

3 Likes

If you are going to publish someplace else, make sure you create that content someplace else as well. Using Facer resources to clone what you have published here and to publish and/or to monetize elsewhere is a huge no-no. I also have a caveat for people who create here but sell privately or by donation. That’s another story that would be going further off topic so I’ll save that for another day.

Back to the topic, two rules that have helped me have been:

1. Be different. Try not to use too many copy/paste internet (and now AI) images. Balance those with your own, original content.
  2. Do what you like. You can’t please everybody. For every design that I load with information, I get as many comments asking me to remove everything except time, date, and battery. Even if I compromise by using interactive shortcuts to apps, that feature elicits comments from people who want it all up front. One of these days, I’m going to design a watch face that reads: “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”
4 Likes