What do you prefer to create? Digital or Analog?

Do you like the challenge of creating hands with shadows or doing digital (maybe flip) watchfaces?
What trips your trigger?

5 Likes

I like making analog, but digital is easier.* *(at times)

6 Likes

I prefer analog

5 Likes

I prefer to wear and to make analog, but digital are more popular (and somewhat easier to make).

5 Likes

Analog for sure!

5 Likes

Digital preferably, but I do like to dabble in unusual analog complications every now and then.

5 Likes

Again, as a non-designer

Thats a tough one

I like both but depends on the situation.

Everyday use, i think i like digital more.

If im dressed up, say, taking the wife out to dinner i want a stylishly but simple Analog

5 Likes

Ok… 4 for analog and 2 for digital.
Honestly I thought it would be a bit more even.

Anyone remember when digital was new?
And trivia question… what year was that?

2 Likes

I must admit that I prefer digital, especially as it fits in easily with my love of animations, but for a plain watch, by which I mean a non Smartwatch, I do love a decent Chronograph.
As for the Digital question, I asked my friend, Google, whose main concensus was the 1970s, as stated here - Tech Time Warp of the Week: The 1972 Digital Watch That Cost More Than a Car | WIRED

4 Likes

+1 for analog. Harder and more complicated to create, but, more fun.

Ironically, my very first watch in childhood was a pseudo-digital (an analog jump-hour), then a power sucking red LED you could barely see in daylight, followed by a very long succession of Casio and Timex LCDs. My digital era came to a halt 6 years ago with an analog Seiko.

3 Likes

BOOO! :crazy_face:
J/K! :wink:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Now you made me laugh!

2 Likes

Analogue First. :+1:

4 Likes

Both! Analogue Hands with transparency, which go over digital time display. I’m bad at analogue reading, but still like the design of analogue hands.

4 Likes

See, I thought that too. That 1972 was the first watchface that was digital. (I loved WIRED)
And that miniature tiny computer on the wrist cost $2100 back THEN!! Pricey!!

Finally, they came down to $10 bucks a piece in the 1980s.

But if you want to get REALLY deep into the history (and some of us are truly geeky this way) the very first digital displays came out in the 1800s. Yes, you read that right.
They were a fad back then, of course, in 1881 the tech really reached its peak and then died in about a decade.
To read the fascinating history of these radical (for the time) time pieces:

3 Likes

Analog for shure!! In second line Hybrid

3 Likes

I usually prefer analog (he says wearing digital today). My most popular faces are digital.

3 Likes

BOTH :wink:

3 Likes

i love both of you the most

2 Likes

I prefer to create digital, but now that I think about it I have never tried to make a analog watch face so I will defiantly have to try sometime😀

1 Like