WiKi . List of Banned Words likely to get a published face Taken Down

I think you might get away with ‘Fossil Fuel’ - but Marvin will probably take it down first. You would then have to go through the rigmarole to get it back. I’m no expert here - just using ‘Fossil’ would for sure get taken down. @NDW 911 is also the USA’s emergency number and Marvin being American may not like it on a watchface - who knows :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is smartwatch G11

maybe that is why my TX-G11 got taken down. I complained, they gave it back to me. It is now called the TX-GXI.

But Facer did not give a reason for the take down of it.

2 Likes

Tom . Even if you suspect something like G11 is a take down please add it tio the bottom of the WIKI List . Oh pardon me it is on there . Well done if it was you .

2 Likes

arg! I should have checked this list before publishing a “Navigator” !

I’m sure they’ll restore it for me but it will be a huge pain if I have to redo all the promo/info materials

How do trademarks work when there are multiple companies/products using the same word, like Tissot and Lincoln both having an established Navigator. Is the trademark specific only to related products? I mean I can’t design and market a chair called Coca Cola can I? Or is Navigator only a problem here because it’s also a watch?

1 Like

I think it is too aggressive setting of the protection for words that are common, not just model names. Navigator is a profession in a first place. Brands name their models like that, but I think it is actually two words name like brand+model. The washed jeans brand also has a navigator model of watch, but I have no idea how they agreed to “share” that name. I guess everybody should be allowed to employ their own navigator.

1 Like

Popeye is now banned
Popeye image can still be published.

1 Like

Will you add that to the WiKi or shall I ? I see from your profile they have not hit on the Image yet . Steam Boat Willie next . :rofl: :joy:

Steam Boat willie is public domain, Some of Popeye will be next year.

3 Likes

I was being a bit Tongue in Cheek there . I am surprised his Younger brother Micky has so many Faces by so many Makers .

1 Like

Trademark only protects you as much as a reasonable person might be confused by similarly named products. I think most people would assume a Coca Cola chair would be officially branded Coke merchandise. Ford MC apparently doesn’t have such reservations over a wristwatch called Navigator. If Tissot released an SUV then there’d be a problem. But what happens when Lincoln Navigator releases a watch…?

1 Like

That’s what lawyers are for. :sweat_smile: First thing that happens is that the government trademark/copyright people contact the original owner of the name regardless of the product. They get the first chance to approve or deny. If they deny, the lawyers argue over it.

2 Likes

Only 39.99

l_lincoln_navigator_logo_leather_watch

And… “navigator” (meaning pilot) was what got one of mine deleted maybe 2 years ago, and no reply to my request to restore it since.

1 Like